Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, in my quest for "whiter lighting" on the QX60....sorry...I mean the JX35 ;-)). I ran across these Sylvania Xenon Filled bulbs. These ran about $64.00 from Autozone so I thought ...I'll give them a try.
As you can see the before and after pics. I'll seperate my posts..
airlaird
Hand Dress Camera Gadget Cameras & optics Hood Automotive lighting Aircraft Sunlight Shade Automotive tire Fluid Automotive lighting Finger Liquid

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So...I think we have a winner here. The white output appears to be much whiter than the factory yellowish look as shown on the above post on the garage wall.
There is a much better look that matches our OEM headlights. . These were put in today (saturday morning) and I have not tried them at night. Would you agree they look whiter?
These are H11 55 Watt bulbs...same as factory, so there is no fear of melting the factory wiring with higher wattage bulbs.
airlaird

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Plant Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting Hood Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got the Hoen, which are a great match for the factory HID headlights...and yes, they are a beotch to install. Driver's side especially. Need long arms and lots of dexterity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were those easy to replace? Not much about it in the manual, other than "see your dealer"
You know Jim, if you jack the car up..which is what I did..it is MUCH simpler. The difficulty (really the pain in the ass part)..is just taking off all of the clips of the plastic underbody to get to the fogs. Infinity covers the entire
undercarriage with this plastic..probably for fuel efficiency (less drag) for the under body. Once you remove about 8-10 clips...pull back the plastic and you can get to the fogs.
airlaird

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you wanted to go higher wattabe, you can buy relay harnesses that are absolutely plug/play to carry higher current. The power goes from the battery, through a relay, directly to the bulbs. The relay coil is switched by a socket-to-socket connection to the stock harness that you just removed from the bulb. This way, too, you get about 14.3V at the bulb instead of 12-ish by the time the power has to go through the stock wiring, fuse block, switch, etc.

I do this mod to Subaru headlights. It makes a pretty big difference on the mount of light. I also did it on my Chevelle with quad lights. They are all Cibie lens/reflectors grey market from Europe. I use 55/100W bulb in the hi/low, and 100W bulb in the hi. They are relayed to my battery charged by a 165A AutoPower alternator. The low beam has a very on-coming driver friendly beam. But high beams, 4x100W, would melt the oncoming cars. I love headlights!

Oh, yeah, I've about removed the MallFinder's front valence a couple of times in the snow. If I had some quantitative data on fuel economy benefits from it, I would do a fuel economy vs front end damage risk judgement to see if it was worth clipping off. Sure as shooting, my wife will get it over a curb, back up, rip the whole front facia off :p

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to run higher wattage in a fog light housing just because they aren't meant to take as much heat as say your headlight housing. I've actually melted a few housings in my day by making this mistake.

The sylvania lights look good. Way better match to the oem HIDs.

I've always been a fan of PIAA lights myself. Can find them for cheaper than retail on ebay.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the watt info. I have a few buddies that installed "white" lights in their trucks and ended up melting their wiring.
This is what a relay harness prevents. And, if your wires are getting hot, you're not getting full voltage to the bulb (Ohm's law). But like cfrp notes, there is a risk of melting the headlight's reflector, nearly all of which are plastic nowadays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts