Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of the year when I have to slap on winter tires.
I had bought a new set of oem tpms and use those for my winters and kept my original tpms for the summers.

When I went in to see if my dealer would reprogram them for me. I was not suprised that this was going to cost me $100. I just said thank you, I can live with the tpms warning light.

TPMS was already installed so I just slapped the winter wheels on and drove around abit. The car read the sensors just fine for about 10 minutes then TPMS warning light came on.
Did a search and found the infiniti reset TPMS warning hack thingy, didnt work after 2 hours trying.

I just thought hmmm maybe.... I unplugged the battery for a few minutes and replugged. Drove around for 45minutes, no more warning lights. The JX reads the new TPMS just fine.
After 200kms no problems. Saved me $100, thats a tank of gas :) twice a year.

Just putting it out there, maybe it has been discussed i couldnt find anything.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
So if I'm reading this correctly, you basically "re-booted" your JX by leaving the battery disconnected for a couple minutes? Did you have to re-program other things like radio presets, seat memory, etc?

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I did snows for our 2009 Outback, I bought a set of Orange Technologies programmable sensors. I talked my local tire dealer into buying the programmer, but it's only about $175 anyway. You hold the programmer against the valve stem of the OEM sensor, and it reads its RF ID number. Then you hold it by the orange sensor, and it clones the ID onto it. I have two sets of wheels/tires with identical IDs. So, when I put my snows on, the car doesn't know the difference! I think the Oranges are about $29 each.

I plan to do this with our Mallfinder when it arrives in December. Already looking for tires and wheels. There are no snows for 20" wheels, and only a few 235/65 the 18"ers. Thank goodness one of them is a Blizzak, I like those! I would love to sell the 20" wheels/tires that come on the Pathfinder Platinum, and run 18" summer and winter. I've got a few months to plot...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I'm reading this correctly, you basically "re-booted" your JX by leaving the battery disconnected for a couple minutes? Did you have to re-program other things like radio presets, seat memory, etc?
did not have to reprogram anything except the rear window 1 click auto up, easy to do. click rear windows down, release button 1 sec. hold windows up till closed for 3 secs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its that time of the year when I have to slap on winter tires.
I had bought a new set of oem tpms and use those for my winters and kept my original tpms for the summers.

When I went in to see if my dealer would reprogram them for me. I was not suprised that this was going to cost me $100. I just said thank you, I can live with the tpms warning light.

TPMS was already installed so I just slapped the winter wheels on and drove around abit. The car read the sensors just fine for about 10 minutes then TPMS warning light came on.
Did a search and found the infiniti reset TPMS warning hack thingy, didnt work after 2 hours trying.

I just thought hmmm maybe.... I unplugged the battery for a few minutes and replugged. Drove around for 45minutes, no more warning lights. The JX reads the new TPMS just fine.
After 200kms no problems. Saved me $100, thats a tank of gas :) twice a year.

Just putting it out there, maybe it has been discussed i couldnt find anything.
DueceSpd, is this still working for you?
On our EX35, I went without TPMS sensors and noticed it took several days for the warning light to show up (when we swapped to winters)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DueceSpd, is this still working for you?
On our EX35, I went without TPMS sensors and noticed it took several days for the warning light to show up (when we swapped to winters)
yup still no tpms warning, im at 2000kms now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't be jealous of my Pathfinder's advanced features, but... :)

I got a set of genuine Nissan (made by Continental) TPMS sensors off of Ebay. Actually, they were listed for a JX, but cross checking at the dealership revealed that the JX, Pathfinder, and Altima all use the same sensor. So I installed them in my new Murano "5-Y snowflake" wheels, and put on a set of DM-V1 snow tires. When I put them the car, this is the exact process I used:

1. Jacked up each corner and installed the wheels individually. But that leaves some residual stress in the tires as the suspension compresses but the tires don't follow the A-arm arc.
2. Started car, and drove back and forth about 10 feet for the suspension to settle so I could set the tire pressure right. The pressures were all about 36psi from the shop, I wanted them at 33psi.
3. Started car, and drove 25-30mph towards the freeway entrance 1.5 miles away to see how the tires rode. I was expecting a yellow warning indicator on the instrument cluster, but didn't have one. The driver information center (between the tach and speedo) just showed dashes where the pressure should have been displayed instead of digits.
4. Now the cool part, at about 1.3 miles, the sensors started syncing themselves! First the rear right, then front right, then rear left, then front left. There was maybe 50 yards between each new addition.

They work perfect. When the car is cold, they read one pressure, and as the heat from sidewall flex generates some heat, the pressure will go up a pound or two.

Anyhoo, I still say these cars are identical except for sheetmetal, a few more bells/whistles, and smoother leather. The descriptions of the software operations in their manuals are identical. I'm guessing that if you try some OEM sensors installed about like I did mine, they will sync. YMMV.

Sorry to be inflammatory about the jealous comment! Sort of... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't be jealous of my Pathfinder's advanced features, but... :)

Sorry to be inflammatory about the jealous comment! Sort of... :)

Dude, you're a trip. This is a first for me. Someone spending their time on a JX forum, talking about how much better their Pathfinder is, and how everyone on here got ripped off buying an over priced Pathfinder.:confused:

As of 2006, as long as you're running OEM TPMS, your Infiniti should self calibrate. It take at least 25 miles of consistent driving, but they will self calibrate. On a few occasions, some of the 2006-2007 needed initial "sync" programming at the dealer, but it should never need to be done after that.

My 2006 M has never been programmed by the dealer. Tire rotations, new wheels. I even swapped my wheels out for the g37 sport wheels and they came with tires and TPMS (OEM), and it calibrated the G's sensors as well.

Just pick up some OEM sensors, and put them on your spare wheels, and they should calibrate within a day of driving.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did you see the smiley faces? Those emoticons are general indications of happy or joking in internet conversation. You hacked out the center content of my post, general etiquette is to say "snip.....snip". Then everyone knows it was edited, so things like me saying, "Anyhoo, I still say these cars are identical except for sheetmetal, a few more bells/whistles, and smoother leather. The descriptions of the software operations in their manuals are identical. I'm guessing that if you try some OEM sensors installed about like I did mine, they will sync. YMMV." aren't lost. I have never said the Pathfinder was better. I said some of its features are different, and I like them better, like real full time 4 wheel drive. I have never said anyone got ripped off for paying more for more bells/whistles in the JX. On the other hand, when I posted a question about bird's eye photo stitching, I got a comment about my cheap PF. But I knew it was in jest.

Back to sensors, I'm not sure if just any Infiniti sensor will work. As I mentioned, the PN for the JX, PF, and (2013) Altima are the same and unique those specific 3 models. No manufacturer likes parts number proliferation (hence so much commonality between the JX and PF), so there had to be a good reason to add another TPMS sensor to their catalog. It must be different enough that an existing sensor wouldn't work as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can confirm that the JX self-learns new sensor ID's without any programming or special tools. Put on new wheels, drive a few miles to confirm the new sensors are registering tire pressures and you are all-set!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry nightfly, I was going to ditch the 20" set up because I didn't want a tire profile so short. The dealer wouldn't trade me for an 18" set up, which I would have gladly done. But I drove them around for a couple of weeks before mounting my snows, and found them very pleasant (at least the 20" Dueler A/S (same as JX) are nice). I sent the 20's to SoCal to ChromeTech to get chromed. Should look nice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
gibbons, what does it typically cost to 'chrome' a wheel?

We don't see it much here in Canada - probably because of the weather.

·
Registered
248 Posts
gibbons, what does it typically cost to 'chrome' a wheel?

We don't see it much here in Canada - probably because of the weather.
Usually you're in it $1,100 by the time you dismount the tires, ship them to/from the chromer, and then have them remounted and balanced. I was in an optimal situation to get mine done, as with my snows on the car, the 20's weren't being used. Some people put their cars on blocks for a couple of weeks to get chromed! Obviously, salt corrosion won't be a problem for me. But it is for some. If you knick the chrome surface, salt will start and the injury, and spread out under the chrome from there, bubbling it up. Tire guys call it "chrome cancer".

ChromeTech is supposed to be the best, I've seen their work and it's stunningly good. Click on the name link to see the process.

I dislike directional wheels. With all 4 the same pattern, on one side of the car the spokes look bent back, on the other, they look bent forward. Sure, you can't see both at the same time, but it still bugs me! The Pathfinder 20" wheels as-is look a little directional because those 5 big spokes are machined shiney and the rest is painted anthrocite grey. With the chroming, highlight the other set of spokes, and "filling the gap", it looks a little less directional. They will look like this (ChromeTech did this one):

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

1 - 20 of 25 Posts