Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is seemingly not a single highly-optioned, dealer-ordered JX on the lots up here in the Pacific Northwest that doesn't have the "splash guards" (and every highly-optioned JX I saw in inventory in N. California does not have them spec'd on there). I've never had car up here with splash guards, never wished for one, emphatically don't like the look of them, and of course won't pay for this option. Maybe in the snow states, to avoid caked on ice and mud, but really, in Seattle?

So I'm just resigned to the fact that if/when I buy a JX, I'll have to order one (and am further inclined to wait until the unpromised, but inevitable, day we can order the Deluxe Touring package without the headrest screen package, on principle alone - I don't want screen-addicted kids, and if I did need screens for the long-haul, that $1700 would buy 3 iPods!)

However, despite my strong existing views on this matter of critical :rolleyes: importance, I am genuinely curious:
Do some people, and particularly Northwesterners, really appreciate the fancy mudflaps? And why?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pretty much all the fancy stuff on the JX or most vehicles are not necessary. LOL

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
There is seemingly not a single highly-optioned, dealer-ordered JX on the lots up here in the Pacific Northwest that doesn't have the "splash guards" (and every highly-optioned JX I saw in inventory in N. California does not have them spec'd on there). I've never had car up here with splash guards, never wished for one, emphatically don't like the look of them, and of course won't pay for this option. Maybe in the snow states, to avoid caked on ice and mud, but really, in Seattle?

So I'm just resigned to the fact that if/when I buy a JX, I'll have to order one (and am further inclined to wait until the unpromised, but inevitable, day we can order the Deluxe Touring package without the headrest screen package, on principle alone - I don't want screen-addicted kids, and if I did need screens for the long-haul, that $1700 would buy 3 iPods!)

However, despite my strong existing views on this matter of critical :rolleyes: importance, I am genuinely curious:
Do some people, and particularly Northwesterners, really appreciate the fancy mudflaps? And why?
Check your private message. I sent you some scoop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone helpfully pointed out that there is a WA state law that appears to contain a splash guard requirement, although I might contend that it appears the JX is in compliance even without those add-on splash guards.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_mud_flaps_required_by_law_in_Washington

But the dealers are probably more than happy to use legal caution as a pretense for a mandate to equip every last vehicle with this over-priced option. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, Olympia.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This law is for trailer trucks, all cars don't have this condition.

While I respect th OP's opinion, I personally prefer the look of splash guards. Mine arrived without and the lower body looked strange. They are too small to serve any practical purpose so it's a preference.

Ask the dealer to order a mudflap-free JX.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mudflaps are good if you drive through snow alot. The snow collects behind the mudflap rather than all over the rear bumper. It kind of reduces splash to the side of the car to keep it a bit cleaner.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I didn't want them, but Infiniti must have had too many in inventory and tacked them on my order anyway. Same with the logo lighted door sill plates, they tacked them on without my consent. I think they are really over the top stupid ostentatious. Yes, it was infiniti adding them, the dealer had nothing to gain as my deal was a fixed amount over invoice.

To the original poster: I salute your thoughts on the screens. Whatever happened to the concept that communicating with your kids isn't that important? Some of our best family times were in the car with my wife reading to the kids, punctuated with their thoughts and questions.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Having driven two different cars more than 200,000 miles each (including an MDX), I can tell you that mudflaps keep the area behind the wheels from getting sandblasted over time. On my MDX, you could totally see where the road sand sprayed up past the flaps and stripped the paint off. Without the splashguards, the whole area would have been stripped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts