Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
air baffle

OK...so this huge black object is obviously an air baffle. After much research into how it is designed..it appears to me.... it serves no purpose. As many know, the engine is a huge air pump. The more air that is injested into an engine, the more power the engine makes. I have taken the baffle off and no additional noise is noticed inside the cabin. It took literally 45 seconds to take it off (two screws and pull out). I drove it around briefly and it does seem to be peppier.
airlaird

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking at the baffle close up shows a "funnel" which feeds air from the front grill into the air filter opening. So why take it out?
After you remove the baffle, you realize the airflow from the front grill into the baffle opening is BLOCKED!!! VERY LITTLE AIR is being pushed through this baffle into the air filter..rendering it useless.....
airlaird

Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Automotive lighting Bumper part

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thorin..... I just did this mod today.....so that variable is unknown. The tank is full, so i do not know about mpg. I assure you if it changes i will put it back on. I will monitor it this next two weeks and advise the forum. And yes, i plan to put a filter on the opening to filter out dirt and make a cai
Airlaird

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When you take it out does it just leave it open like this?

If so all you are doing is sucking in HOT air.

Which is going to give you less mileage and power.

The baffle is likely meant to funnel COLD air into the intake.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not so sure that the baffle actually funneled cold air because it looks like the opening of the baffle is to the back of the radiator and connected to the K&N filter box.
However, with the baffle taken off, it certainly looks like it will be sucking in hotter air than before as the air next to the engine should be hotter than the back of the radiator.

Is there any free space even to install a CAI? It looks like a short ram only.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am well aware of the hot air issue....so yes that is possible. Be aware however as thorin mentioned
The baffle is behind the radiator and as i mentioned, the baffle is not sucking in cool air because the duct which the baffle connects into.......is 95 percent blocked ( you need to see it to understand). After removal of the baffle i looked inside the vent in which the baffle connects into....as i saw very little incoming light from our grill into this so called vent....some intake huh :). It is my belief that i am actually getting cooler since this vent is 95% blocked. As far as the opening goes i have a filter over the opening and i may design a tube which points downward away from the engine
Airlaird

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He he... No kiddin! Well, based on only two responses to my thread it appears, as usual....no one on this forum really cars about my experiment except you two. I appreciate your input, Anyway
I won't add anymore to this thread due to lack of interest. I'll just say that i will test it out and based on my results either place the baffle back on....or design a short ram for it
Airlaird

·
Registered
209 Posts
haha. If it were for a sports sedan or coupe, you'd get more interest. But this is just a mall finder as someone elegantly put it so you're getting a different crowd although most of us may have other cars that are more popular. As for the short ram or CAI, based on previous experience, you'll probably just get less mpg and this sucker (no pun intended) already lacks enough in that department.

But keep sharing, even if there's only 2 of us that's interested.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Airlaird, you'd be surprised how many lurkers are around and reading everything that gets posted here. I get questions/comments all the time from prospective customers who've read stuff on the forum and then ask questions of us in sales. When I question what their screen name is (sometimes it is very obvious they read the forum), they tell me they don't have one.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I care! TY for the research!!!

He he... No kiddin! Well, based on only two responses to my thread it appears, as usual....no one on this forum really cars about my experiment except you two. I appreciate your input, Anyway
I won't add anymore to this thread due to lack of interest. I'll just say that i will test it out and based on my results either place the baffle back on....or design a short ram for it
Airlaird

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are right...... I would be surprised how many lurkers are here.:) But i appreciate your interest and i will keep you updated. We have not driven the jx lately but i have rest the mpg gauge and will see. Currently we get 18 mpg so i will see if my logic of this mod getting fresh air directly from the grill works to increase mpg and a few horses
Airlaird

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lurker reporting promptly :)

I am following this thread closely, my wife's JX has terrible mileage - 12.8 to 13.8mpg since we bought it. About 15,000 miles on it. I know it is almost all city driving, but come on, it is not even close to what the sticker was saying.

Peter

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lurker reporting promptly :)

I am following this thread closely, my wife's JX has terrible mileage - 12.8 to 13.8mpg since we bought it. About 15,000 miles on it. I know it is almost all city driving, but come on, it is not even close to what the sticker was saying.

Peter
Wow, your city must not move much. Last fill up on ours is about 18.5 and that's got 70% local driving.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Peter, does your wife drive with her left foot resting on the brake all the time? Even my clients who live atop big hills aren't getting mileage that bad.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well...no update so far because we simply have not driven it far since my modification Let me explain that our recent trip to colorado two weeks ago confirmed for me that the car lacks power. it is my wifes car so she loves it and says the power is fine. But me...I gotta have more power without losing mpg.
as of right now, we are up to 18.3 mpg in the tank. so, as of right now, NO LOSS OF MPG so far.
My wife says it "feel peppier" and it seems that it shifts sooner than before. I will get back with more details but as of right now...there is NO decrease in MPG...but a bit more power in ECO mode....
airlaird

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another Lurker reporting in :)

Thanks Airlaird for the valuable info. I've looked into adding a CAI as well but from what I can see there is no room for a pipe to wheel well without shuffling around some parts like the battery. The JX engine bay is pretty cramped, probably to shorten the front portion of the car and compensate for extra 3rd row and trunk space. Our best bet is probably a short ram intake with a heat shield but I cannot find a company that makes an intake pipe for the JX which is necessary for compatibility with the MAS sensor. Another permanent mod option is to cut and enlarge the opening of the airfilter box so airflow is opened up and the flat airfilter remains secured. I really don't want to cut the box because there's no going back but I suspect performance would increase since the opening (where the baffle connects to) is very small and restrictive especially for a 3.5L engine.

Look forward to hearing more of your mods!

BJX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts