Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am assuming everyone on here loves their JX. My wife and I are going to be test driving one this weekend. What should we look out for/what are things that could be improved on the vehicle? I am specifically interested to evaluate the visibility/handling in and out of a tight, winding parking garage . Hopefully the dealership will let us have one overnight on Thursday so my wife can test drive it to/from work on Friday. Also, what are the recommended oil change intervals ?

Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Steering wheel positions :
1. It doesn't come out enough to my liking and the hinge location for up and down is also not to my liking.
2. I also don't like it that the 8 and 4 o'clock positions on the steering are not comfortable to hold (the plastics have rough edges).

Seats :
The seat base doesn't tilt up enough to my liking.
Though I would say the seats are comfortable for long drives. A 20 hour drive and no sore back.

Accerelation :
Merging on to a Freeway lane curving around might not give you the power you need. Try that a few times.
See if the SPORT mode is enough for you.

Highway Noise :
The test car I drove had a bad wind noise on the highway.
Luckily the car we bought is nice and quiet.

CVT :
You will get over the CVT.
I liked that the JX uses a CVT. It gives it a smooth ride that I like in a huge car like this.
Probably not for my sedan.

Handling :
I've seen a lot of reviews saying that it handles bad. To me it handles well for a 3 row car. Drive others and then go drive this. I liked it better than the Q7, MDX. I even drove an FX for comparison. I guess I was looking for a hauler with comfortable long drives.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info! thank you ! I also saw you posted something about the Evoque in another thread. My wife wants to look at those also. She just likes the unique design. but realistically, the JX is the most bang for the buck. And I heard that cost of ownership, and resale value for Land Rovers, isn't great.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
If you have steep hills or driveways, try the hill holder feature. Test the cruise control and DCA (breaking). The turning radius is excellent so make a few 3 point turns. Try the manual shift mode (tap shift lever to the left, then up and down to go through the gear ratios) and note the difference between drive and the manual 6th gear. Test the back up breaking feature. Play with the heated and cooled seats. Bring a non-Blue Ray DVD and Ipod if you have one (you will need your USB to IPod cable). Try the lane departure and blind spot warning features. You will need to be going at least 45 mph to activate them. You may not be able to use the Infiniti Connection or SOS features, so ask your salesperson to go over them with you. Test out all the seats and adjustments too. Take a long drive both city and highways. Enjoy it and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great info! thank you ! I also saw you posted something about the Evoque in another thread. My wife wants to look at those also. She just likes the unique design. but realistically, the JX is the most bang for the buck. And I heard that cost of ownership, and resale value for Land Rovers, isn't great.
Why we picked JX over the Range Rover (yes, I dared to compare the two).
1. More bang for the buck (funny how that thought still runs in our mind when shopping for a luxury car) : I reasoned with my wife that if we were going to get an SUV it better be good at hauling people. If we were going to get a 2 person car, we don't want an SUV. We tend to go on long drives and the JX seemed better suited for that. This will hopefully be our last SUV.
2. JX has better mileage.
3. The wife liked the JX interior better than the RRE interior (comparing black in both). The white interiors in RRE was better but we weren't sure if our kid would play along.
4. Would have loved to have the real panoramic roof on the JX - like the RRE. I would have been ok with a fixed roof but extending all the way from front to back.
5. The RRE is unique and I believe JLR is on a comeback and their reliability ratings are getting better. Their engineers seem to be very keen on addressing the smallest problems reported. And I think we'll start seeing slightly cheaper and better looking cars from JLR in the next few years. I decided to buy stocks in their parent company last year based on what I'm seeing recently from them and what I liked about them.
6. The LR sales guy was a dick.
7. I would have liked to see a 3.6 l engine on the Evoque with similar mileage. I wonder if they'll still continue with the Ford engines next year.

Our next car will not be a 3 row. It will probably be something like the RRE or the Evoque itself.
If space and mileage is not a problem. You just want luxury with a unique look - go for the Evoque. We were planning to get it over the Q5 and the FX which was what we first started looking at early this year. - Till the JX caught our eye and we decided to dial in a little more practicality - something which I'm sure I'll regret a little bit.
I reasoned with myself by saying we'd get a sportier car next year :) when we'll be in the market for my car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer let us take one home last night. The center console, and buttons/displays on the steering wheel, are a little intimidating/overwhelming. In addition, they keyless entry & pushstart were new to me. I'm guess I am kind of old school, It's not like putting a key a in the ignition is a huge inconvenience. I'm sure it just takes some getting used to. The DCA, does that only kick in when you are going over a certain speed limit? Also, it said we were only getting 11 MPG??? Is this what you are seeing too on avg? 11 MPGS?? My wife likes the blind spot indicators. We'll see how it goes. the MPGs are concerning. I may just sacrifice the styling/technology of the JX, and go with a volvo XC60 or Lexus 450H. I think both are uglier than the JX, but the volvo is $20K cheaper, and we can probably find a good deal on a used 450H. I'm not a fan of Lexus. Mercedes doesn't have s*** to offer compared to the JX. I don't know what we are going to do. we have a baby on the way, the wife wants an SUV for safety,.. and she wants something fancy. .. . maybe we will look into the porsche cayanne S hybrid??? those only start out at $70K... too bad I am cheap, I drive a yamaha morphous to work everyday, and I have an 04 Mits Endeavor that I love.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
You must have test driven a model with low milage. The mpg indicated is not what you are going to get. Once you have a few miles on the car, the computer will update the mpg. Our first tank showed 13, but we were getting around 19. We seem to average 21 with mixed driving. You will come to love the keyless entry and push button start. The DCA works at low speeds. You need to activate it each time you start the car however. If the car senses a vehicle it is going to work.

You should research the cars mentioned and look for reviews by existing owners. I did rule those vehicles out based on technology and seating/cargo capacity. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must have test driven a model with low milage. The mpg indicated is not what you are going to get. Once you have a few miles on the car, the computer will update the mpg. Our first tank showed 13, but we were getting around 19. We seem to average 21 with mixed driving. You will come to love the keyless entry and push button start. The DCA works at low speeds. You need to activate it each time you start the car however. If the car senses a vehicle it is going to work.

You should research the cars mentioned and look for reviews by existing owners. I did rule those vehicles out based on technology and seating/cargo capacity. Good luck with your search.
yep, the one we have only has 60 miles on it. That makes sense, thank you!!! the dealer is letting us keep it until tomorrow.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yep, the one we have only has 60 miles on it. That makes sense, thank you!!! the dealer is letting us keep it until tomorrow.
Reset the mpg counter and see what you get.
The car I test drove at the dealership at 12 on it. Maybe because it gets test driven a lot.
I'm seeing close to 20/21 on highway on ours and maybe 18 on local roads (without a lot of traffic).

You could also change the display to see instantaneous mileage and see what you are getting while you are driving.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
If the dealership is letting you keep it until tomorrow, I do recommend that you test all the features, especially at highway speeds. Also play with the navigation system. We've had navigation on several cars now and also portable units. When I compared them to the navigation units on several of the luxury cars, I found them to be somewhat clunky and not up to current technology. We had the 2010 Armada Platinum which has a similar navigation unit, and I am amazed at the significant changes to the one on our new car. We did go with the fully loaded model which has the larger monitor and I believe it is a better unit. Also take note of the rear-view cameras. There are subtle differences that I can see on the new Pathfinder and on our 2012 Rogue. What I really like is that when backing, you will note the front wheels on the top view camera show the front wheels turning, which does make a difference when judging back up maneuvers. I wish our Rogue had that. It does help keep you from running over curbs, etc.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
One more thing. If you go with Infiniti or another brand, shop for your warranty. Our dealership did not offer the Infiniti warranty. Instead they tried to sell us one from The Mechanic. Based on what we saw on this forum, we ended up going clear across the country to Circle Infiniti of New Jersey. They beat the pants off of all the Washington state Infiniti dealerships, and one in Arizona. If you shop the prices from other dealerships, you may be able to negotiate a lower price. With all the technology on the new luxury cars, I highly recommend going with a warranty that will cover you until the car is paid off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more thing. If you go with Infiniti or another brand, shop for your warranty. Our dealership did not offer the Infiniti warranty. Instead they tried to sell us one from The Mechanic. Based on what we saw on this forum, we ended up going clear across the country to Circle Infiniti of New Jersey. They beat the pants off of all the Washington state Infiniti dealerships, and one in Arizona. If you shop the prices from other dealerships, you may be able to negotiate a lower price. With all the technology on the new luxury cars, I highly recommend going with a warranty that will cover you until the car is paid off.
good tip.. will consider. volvo has a great warranty, we don't really like the volvo, but hopefully we can use that as leverage when negotiating the sales price. .. We'll see, I know that the JXs are going for at or above invoice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't believe the features of this vehicle. I just set cruise control when driving down the highway, and the car automatically decelearted to a stop at lights, and then re accelrated to my cruise speed when the light turned green, and while on cruise, my mpgs where showing at 30MPG. Gotta have faith in the technology though. My wife was scared to not press the break. I am a little nervous about purchasing a 1st gen model, and the longevity/accuracy of the sensors/computer components etc.. . But we are pretty much hooked on the JX, Negotiations start today, hopefully I can pick up an EOM/end of month deal!!!!!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Jeverall, if you're nervous about the electronics longevity, purchase an extended warranty when you buy the car (cheaper at purchase and more/longer options than buying later). Infiniti has the best warranty in its class at 60K miles.

There are no end of August incentives from Infiniti on the JX, but I'm sure your dealer will be willing to work with you to make their August numbers. I know I would if you were here in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeverall, if you're nervous about the electronics longevity, purchase an extended warranty when you buy the car (cheaper at purchase and more/longer options than buying later). Infiniti has the best warranty in its class at 60K miles.

There are no end of August incentives from Infiniti on the JX, but I'm sure your dealer will be willing to work with you to make their August numbers. I know I would if you were here in the Bay Area.
Thanks, I went to my local dealership during lunch and put down a deposit! hopefully we can pick it up this weekend... was able to negotiate a good deal, and dealership threw in some oil changes, and tinting the front windows. I didn't have a lot of time to discuss the warranty, they mentioned something about a protection plan, but I figured we would talk more when we pick it up!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the guidance from the forum, we returned our leased Benz yesterday, and purchased a JX!!! Mercedes tried to save us over the phone, and when I told them we were looking at a JX , they understood why we would get that over any MB SUV. We drove the JX to the Mercedes dealership, and when they came out, they pointed at our JX, and asked "Is that what you got, Wow.... "I don't blame you"...... =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice! We LOVE ours. All the tech is nice to have. Some folks on here say that a lot of it isn't necessary and while true, once you use it...it's great!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I think you will really enjoy the car. As much as I liked our trade-in Mercedes ML, I just couldn't see spending the money for the 2012 ML. It reminded me too much of the car we got rid of. The JX is a great value. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I want the extra "umph" I put it in Sport mode and for me it really makes a difference. I put it in sports mode when I accelerate from say a stop light, stop sign or merging onto a freeway. I absolutely love everything about my JX except the fact that you can not listen to your radio/xm unless you have the engine running.

I traded in my 2012 MDX for this super cross-over. Best car I have ever owned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts