Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another post that my family is need of 7 passenger suv. I really like what the JX has to offer, but we're also strongly considering some of the competition:

Volvo XC90
Pros - safety, affordability,
Cons - Style, unchanged for 10+ years!, pretty cramped, performance is mediocre at best!

MDX
Pros - Performance - definitely a drivers car, affordability, adequate seating, technology, not to mention SH-AWD is incredible.
Cons - Bland/bloated style, HATE the beak, 3rd row could use some improvement
Very curious to see what the upcoming redesign offers.

JX
Pros - LOVE the look - very aesthetically appealing, best in class seating/mpg, technology
Cons - Performance is lackluster, in my opinion. CVT is this cars downfall and I'm not confident with infiniti's AWD system.

I considered the German route (X5/Q7), but comparably equipped, way more then what I want to spend!

If I could put MDX performance into a JX body, its a clear winner for me! Curious to hear why others have picked the JX over some of the competition?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is my opinion:

Volvo: Out without further consideration. Everyone that I know that has owned a Volvo has always had issues that kept them in the shop for a week at a time. The most common was issues with the transmission.

MDX: This was tough for me as well. My issue was that I traded a 2007 Lexus GX for the JX, and the MDX is the exact same vehicle in 2012 as it was in 2007. Additionally, the MPG has not improved at all on the MDX in 5 years. I don't like how plasticy the dash is in the MDX, and the exterior front styling is awful. Finally..... I couldn't wait for the redesign (I've read that it could be as late as 2014). I've also read on various Acura enthusiast websites that Acura is likely dropping the SH-AWD on the next redesign in the name of fuel economy. I test drove the new RDX and was not impressed, even with the V6. The interior was still filled with plastic, and the ride was still too harsh, but better than the old RDX.

JX: Why I bought... First, I use the JX for work. I carry lots of product for work, and EVERYTHING I carry fits completely in the area behind the second row. Second, the second row has more leg room than any other crossover on the market; when I do carry others in the car, everyone is comfortable. Performance wise, I'm not disappointed with the JX, and I've been told by many that I drive aggressively. There is a learning curve on the CVT, but once you get used to it, it is no big deal. I've never had any issues passing cars, or issues with power. I'd rather have the extra MPG with the CVT vs. a traditional tranny. I do wish that the JX had more contrast in the cabin: It's either all black or all tan. Contrasting colors on the dash and doors would give it a more luxurious feel inside, but overall, the interior is quite nice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would choose the JX over anything Acura or Volvo has cause when looking for a Luxury SUV I just can't take Volvo or Acura seriously. Acura is slowly stepping away from being a fancy Honda, but I feel there still at that stage, and Volvo.....is just Volvo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would choose the JX over anything Acura or Volvo has cause when looking for a Luxury SUV I just can't take Volvo or Acura seriously. Acura is slowly stepping away from being a fancy Honda, but I feel there still at that stage, and Volvo.....is just Volvo.
Not sure if completely understood your response, and please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't Infiniti just a fancy Nissan? Not trying to make this into a honda/nissan bashing thread, but what is it about Acura that you can't take seriously?

For years now, the MDX has been one of their best sellers, if not the best. And value wise, its the best bang for your $$$. And thats when the JX steps into the picture... Now it gives consumers another legitimate 7 passenger option. What I want to know is why you chose the JX over the MDX? Not that you can't take acura seriously....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Good input Jugdish.

Personally I don't like the Volvo very much. Don't like the styling.

I am fan of the MDX but I hate the new front end design. The JX looks nice and has decent performance and quality. The safety features makes it valuable as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Volvo styling is extremly bland and boring , but i love the MDX but i just cant deal with it it seems like the MDX deign is a bit aged where as the JX is new design and new face as well , that why at this point im leaning towards the JX

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me it was the amount of leg room/space in all three rows. I traded in a Buick Enclave which had "adult size" leg room in all three rows, so I was looking for something that had the same amount of leg room/space. The MDX, XC90, and others in the same class could not compare.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I like technology, so my first choice was actually Ford Explorer. It has the most integrated technology "on paper", and the new generation Explorer looks good and the cabin is way better than the old generation. However, the technology Ford put together didnot work. The My Ford Touch is buggy and needs constant reboot, not by restart the car, but disconnect the battery cable or pull a fuse. There are also numerous other problems, even in its third model year, many are not technology related, such as "A" pillar rattle, rain noise, window strickes, cooling fan problems. In the end, unless you are a die hard Ford fan, you have to walk away.

My second choce was MDX, the so called best in the segment by many. However, the technology is old, ten years in a row without much change. The GPS input is based on a dial, not touch screen, no bird eye view, or anything, the display is even not integrated, the GPS, radio and AC all have their own display, no intelligent key, no remost start, and the cabin looks plain and not luxarious at all. Very difficult to get into the third row, which is very small. The SHAWD is nice, but the MDX is a gas guzzler. I don't like the look of the MDX, the older ones are much better.

There are then not much left, Q7 is too expensive. Q5 is too small. I also looked at the FX35, it is too small. The JX is just right in size, technology, and style, it was put together in a very attractive package. A job well done by Infiniti.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My reasons for choosing JX:

Must have's:
* Real 7-seater... not like Q7 which claims but the 3rd row is as useless as it comes
* Integrated technology
* Not a mini-van
* Decent gas mileage
* Well equipped at ~55K

Nice to have's:
* Made in the USA

·
Registered
68 Posts
My reasons for choosing JX:

Must have's:
* Real 7-seater... not like Q7 which claims but the 3rd row is as useless as it comes
* Integrated technology
* Not a mini-van
* Decent gas mileage
* Well equipped at ~55K

Nice to have's:
* Made in the USA

Indeed the 3rd row is kinda useless but it still works!

but good reasons i would say exactly the same!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Indeed the 3rd row is kinda useless but it still works!

but good reasons i would say exactly the same!
The 3rd row is nice to have if you got alot of kids but the 3rd row seats are definitely not adult friendly especially if your taller than 6ft.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My two cents: After driving the ML 350, the X5, and the Q7, I replaced my 07 Explorer (w/ 3rd row) with the JX. It was a no-brainer. For the money, you get WAY more. Not the same ride as the X5 (so fun to drive hard!). But ooohhh, so silky, and quiet! And I'll add this: starting with the website, the entire customer experience is just plain better. To me, anyway. I'm very impressed...if this whole thing lives up to the expectations I've already built up, I'll be a long-time customer. I feel like Infiniti has thought of everything, and they've executed those thoughts quite well. The JX is everything I've been looking for and more, in a very attractive, very comfortable, very user-friendly package...without compromising performance. And best of all, I don't feel as though I've just paid a 5-10k premium for a name or badge. Here's hoping the honeymoon doesn't end! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well said above post, that what it usally comes down to with certian cars, you add a huge premium to cars with a big name behind and backing them, which isnt bad i would say.

It interesting though with infiniti a lot of people think their cars cost a ton, someone i kist know though for some reason traded his g37 for an rx8 which i found really odd and never bothered to ask him why, but the JX does have a nice feel and for a lower price tag you get everything you would with a German premium brand.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
My wife and I were considering trading our ML 430 for a 2012 ML or BMW X5. I researched all the luxury cars in the class and pretty much ruled out the competing models either due to lack of some updated features, seating capacity, maintenance, fuel milage and of course seeing all the professional and personnel reviews that have been written on each vehicle. Price was a consideration, but we were willing to pay for a fully loaded BMW if we thought that would be our vehicle of choice. We did not consider Infiniti since the only vehicle similar was the QX and we already had a fully loaded 2010 Armada. When we saw the Nissan teaser ad for the 2013 Pathfinder and thought that would be a great option, but really wanted a luxury car. I checked out Infiniti and saw the JX on-line. I looked at all the professional reviews and YouTube videos on the car and liked what I saw. I did consider many of the negative comments written by those that responded to the reviews (Edmonds, and all the others) realizing most of those commenting had not even seen or driven the car. Complaints or should I say whining, about the engine size, CVT and looks, were the most common issues. Since the car was not released to dealerships yet, I wanted to make my own decision. When the JX arrived at our dealership, we test drove it and loved it. It reminded us of our former Murano but much better. It had adequate power, turned on a dime, had a quiet ride, and plenty of room for passengers. I'm 6'1" and can sit comfortably in the back seat, which is something I couldn't do in the Armada. Also, with all seats up, there is still room for luggage and cargo unlike the Armada and QX. The car is much easier to get and out of and all the features worked better than expected. When I read about how the CVT drones, and how there is some body sway, we didn't really experience it. We are used to a CVT and actually like it. We didn't drive it like you would drive a sports car, rather, the way you'd drive with a car load of passengers. Owning six Nissan products in the past and knowing the quality, plus all the latest technology, and reasonable price, we decided to trade in our Armada for the JX. We chose the all wheel drive since we live in the Pacific Northwest and do experience some extremes in weather. The fuel milage is an added plus. We feel that we got the best of all worlds and the bonus was not having to spend the big bucks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Surprises me you fit in the back seat of a JX better than an Armada, but the JX is a hell of a car for the price you pay!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Surprises me you fit in the back seat of a JX better than an Armada, but the JX is a hell of a car for the price you pay!
Lol.....surprised me too but it is true! I think it's cause the 3rd seat in the Armada sits higher up in back and you really have to step up to get into the 3rd row. In the JX it's all one level. Agreed, the JX is one hell of a car, if we ever see it! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts