Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, just looking to get your impressions of the new Acura MDX. I know not whole lot of detail has been released but the prototype was showcased at NAIAS:

I've always been torn between the JX and the MDX.

With the JX, I love the design, space and features it had to offer but I just couldn't get past its performance, or lack there of.

With the MDX, i'm not bowled over by the redesign, but it is a decent refresh to the current generation. And performance wise, i think the current version of the MDX is a LOT more fun to drive then the JX, so I'd hope they'll only improve with this refreshed model.

If they made a "Sport" variant of the JX, i'm sold. What say you guys?

·
Registered
209 Posts
All depends on your situation. I've got 2 young kids and have 2 car seats and also need to have easy access to the 3rd row. So I could choose an Odyssey or another 7 seater SUV. So until I see the interior of this concept, I'd say this car isn't really impressive.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
10 Headlights! Woohoo!

Kinda boring looking. I saw a new RDX on the road today and thought it was an MDX briefly.

It will sell well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have both a 2010 MDX (wife) and a 2013 JX. I am actually surprised at how much I like the driving experience of the JX (I came from a 2003 RX300). It is not quite an MDX in the handling department, but I am not nearly as upset about the handling difference with the JX compared with the MDX as I thought I would be given all of the JX reviews regarding its handling. I also think the JX is more comfortable and better set-up for a family....In regard to creature comforts my only complaint about the JX is the size of the door cup holders (they could have been larger for more storage....I too wish they had a better handling "sport" JX because I would have DEFINITELY gone for that....But, I think that will be in the cards for a later model....Although now I would just as soon they wait for 5 years when I get my next one. I definitely think the JX was a great start into this segment of the market and am satisfied with not waiting for the new MDX. The hybrid JX will be stellar when it comes out....But, I do love our MDX as well and you definitely won't be disappointed if you wait for that. Just sayin that after having the JX for 2 months I am pleasantly surprised with it handling capabilities now that I have gotten use to the CVT. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FYI...We have three kids (8, 5 & 2)....The kids can sit three wide with a car seat, a booster seat and the 8 year old in the middle (2nd row) of either car. They both have third row seats but neither is great for access by the 5 year old (without assistance). The Odyssey we had before the MDX was the perfect layout for getting kids to the 3rd row and I think that Toyota (Highlander) has the perfect answer for that possible layout.... I would love to see the middle of the 2nd row on the JX (or the MDX for that matter) be removable like on the highlander on a future model....That would be the bomb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder why neither of these suv's offer a captains chair option? I know the enclave and the tahoe do and i consider both to in the midsize suv range. Getting access to the 3rd row is breeze, not to mention its a legitimate 3rd row.

Come to think of it, no import (as far as i'm aware) has captains chairs...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys. We need to make a purchase soon and I've been holding out for as long as i could! I'm also considering the XC90 and Q7 as well, but favoring the Japanese models as i think we'll get the most value.

I'm not trying to turn this into a Infiniti vs. Acura bashing war by any means. Both SUV's have their pros & cons and both will be a top seller for either brand! I just wish they would learn a thing or 2 from one another develop something that would appeal to the masses! As i said before in another post, if i could put a JX body on an MDX drive train, we'd have a real winner!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 2013 Acura MDX ranks 3 out of 19 Luxury Midsize SUVs. The Acura MDX is a reviewer favorite for its refined handling, which is aided by its standard all-wheel drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With my previous experience with Acura in general there was some issue electronically with the car that we owned which left a bitter taste in my mouth for the company, MDX looks nice but JX just looks more aggressive! =) Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
524 Posts
The MDX looks too much like the RDX. Every time I see the recently redesigned RDX, I mistaken it for an MDX.

Also, too bad they didn't show the new interior (in the video). The interior is what sold me on the JX, with the logic being I look at the interior 95% of the time while looking at the exterior only 5% of the time. Saying this, the IMO the MDX exterior looks a better than the JX.

While cross-shopping last year the MDX interior felt cheap with too much plastic. It made me think the Acura was a competitor with the GMC/Buick rather than Audi or BMW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think they're reliable and handle well. But I agree the new models are expensive, but not so fun to drive and they're ugly. The models I like are the more recent SUV's, but they're too expensive for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts