Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We looked at JX's for so long that my wife keeps calling the Mallfinder the "Infiniti". I tell her it's subliminal. Anyway, she's in Manhatten this weekend with my son and his wife, so I thugged her Mallfinder for fun. And fun it is. I usually drive a Volvo XC70 wagon, a very respectable car. But I really like the Mallfinder. Compared to the XC70, it's smoother(!), quieter(!), and has all kinds of fun toys inside to keep me entertained. Being an engineer and a car motorhead, I have somewhat of a sensation of what the CVT is actaully doing, it's a miracle of mechanical/hydraulic/electronic/software design.

I told my wife I want the PF and asked her if she wants a JX so she doesn't keeping mixing badge names. She said sure, whatever. I tell ya what, if they put the newer CVT that the PF has in the JX for 2014, we might have twinner cars. The only thing we would give up would be the XC's off road capabilities, but we can use the truck as needed.

Hmmmm......

·
Registered
146 Posts
Come over to the dark side already! The XC can ride off into the sunset. badge names will be mixed up again thanks to the new "Q" badge, which i still dont understand!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have you checked out the XC90? It's a bit long in the tooth, but people love them. Volvo also released the XC60 that we liked, however the extra room/tech/reliability (assumed Japanese over Euro) pushed us to the JX.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FROM ANOTHER FORUM (you may prefer the JX35 CVT at this point!):

After a couple months of sales, there is what I consider some bad news regarding the dependability of the Pathfinder CVT. This service bulletin was released, they need to reprogram the TCM to address the CVT belt slipping issue which causes excessive wear, premature failure and poor drivability.

Yes reprogramming the TCM is no big deal and likely will eliminate the issue, but such a fundamental problem with this "new and improved CVT" really drops my confidence regarding long-term reliablity of the CVT - did they even test this thing before releasing it to the public??!! What other unknown, yet to be discovered issues are there with this new CVT??!! It's no fun to drive a vehicle with these concerns, in reality it might be a great unit but if your peace of mind is low that's all that really matters.

I was hoping and assuming that this CVT was thoroughly tested to ensure no major issues, but this seemingly obvious major issue was missed and we the consumers are the testers. I don't like it at all, for all the money we pay we should not have to be the guinnea pig testers, and even if you get the TCM update who knows how much extra wear and tear the CVT experienced prior to the fix, you'll never know until long after the warranty is over I'm sure - by then Nissan will offer no assistance or support if you need to replace the non-serviceable $5000+ CVT.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. On the bright side all new Pathfinders will have the correct programming, and yes its a first-year model so minor issues are to be expected, I just didn't expect a major powertrain issue on the most expensive and worrysome component. This may push me more towards the upcoming new Durango with European-built ZF 8-spd tranny, the same tranny that will also go in to the redesigned Honda Pilot. The 2014 Durango will have full smartphone integration with lots of cutting edge features like being able to remote start the vehicle with your smartphone from anywhere in the world. We'll see.....there's just too much good competition out there for consumers to have to compromise...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here is the Bulletin:

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Dear Pathfinder Owner:
Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We believe that our current and future success depends on your continued satisfaction with Nissan. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding your 2013 Pathfinder.

REASON FOR SERVICE CAMPAIGN
Under certain unique driving conditions, the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) chain may slip in some affected 2013 Nissan Pathfinder vehicles. An indicator that the CVT chain has slipped is a shaking or a "judder" from the CVT when accelerating. Continuing to drive the vehicle in this condition can lead to accelerated wear and damage to the CVT. Reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) will prevent the CVT chain slip condition from occurring. This is not a safety issue, and the vehicle still meets and/or exceeds all applicable safety standards.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO
To assure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your vehicle, and prevent possible future damage to the CVT, your Nissan dealer will reprogram the Transmission Control Module (TCM) at no charge to you for parts or labour. The service should take less than an hour to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Nissan encourages you to contact your Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment. Failure to have this reprogramming performed in a timely manner could result in future damage to your vehicle's transmission. If repair or replacement of the transmission becomes necessary outside of the powertrain warranty period, the resulting repair costs will be at the owner's expense. This service campaign does not extend the duration of your new vehicle limited powertrain warranty.

To ensure the least inconvenience for you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the Nissan dealer for service. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment. Instructions have been sent to your Nissan dealer.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact your Nissan dealership or the Nissan Information Centre at 1-800-387-0122.
Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure on-going satisfaction with your Nissan vehicle.

QUALITY ASSURANCE NISSAN CANADA INC.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Probably not a huge deal, but what effects on the performance and MPG will the reprogramming have (if any)? I guess this is just a sign that there are still possibly a few bugs to be worked out on the new CVT.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the reprogram actually does. Based on the description it seems more like a hardware fix.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The firmware update causes increased hydraulic pressure one of the sheeve's actuators to "pinch" the belt tighter at RPMs and loads related to speeds around 40mph. Above and below that speed, the pressure calibrations are correct. I was surprised at the bulletin, I had never felt the vibration "judder". I am overly sensitive to this kind of stuff, I can hear when the backlash and tooth pattern isn't right on a differential gear set. But I didn't notice any difference in opeation after having the updates installed.

Ours only has 1600 easy miles on it, and never having felt it anyway, I am not concerned about wear. I had planned on changing the CVT fluid at 2500 miles, it will be interesting to put a magnet in the fluid to see what comes out.

The software change didn't change the ratios, I'm still 2000rpm at 75mph. Fuel economy isn't hurting, here's a picture of my computer driving 60-65mph on the freeway, 29.1mpg at a 62mph average.

Vehicle Car Auto part Electronic device Font

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't think they will be updated the JX next year. It's only been out for a year. You might have to wait a few more years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The firmware update causes increased hydraulic pressure one of the sheeve's actuators to "pinch" the belt tighter at RPMs and loads related to speeds around 40mph. Above and below that speed, the pressure calibrations are correct. I was surprised at the bulletin, I had never felt the vibration "judder". I am overly sensitive to this kind of stuff, I can hear when the backlash and tooth pattern isn't right on a differential gear set. But I didn't notice any difference in opeation after having the updates installed.

Ours only has 1600 easy miles on it, and never having felt it anyway, I am not concerned about wear. I had planned on changing the CVT fluid at 2500 miles, it will be interesting to put a magnet in the fluid to see what comes out.

The software change didn't change the ratios, I'm still 2000rpm at 75mph. Fuel economy isn't hurting, here's a picture of my computer driving 60-65mph on the freeway, 29.1mpg at a 62mph average.

View attachment 442
That's good to hear, keep an eye on it and post back in a few weeks. Good to know overall performance has not been changed by the update.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to see they've fixed this before the JX, errr, QX60 gets that transmission next year.
It's a mutually beneficial thing. When I was reading about early JX issues like the fuel line revision, I was thinking I was glad that was getting wrung out before we got ours.

Sinecure, are you hearing the JX's are getting the new one next year? I admit, I was skeptical that there were two different transmissions, until I saw them across the street from each other at dealers in Tustin CA. The JX is larger and has giant cooling fins in the cast aluminum case. The PF is smaller, and has a stamped steel pan where the JX's fins are. Maybe that's why they put a transmission cooler with the PF.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'd say it is 90+% sure that the QX60 will have the drive train of the PF. I believe it will also be the tranny attached to the supercharged, 4-cylinder hybrid engine QX60.

Yes, that's right. There will be a hybrid next year (released this year). AFAIK, other stuff stays the same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd say it is 90+% sure that the QX60 will have the drive train of the PF. I believe it will also be the tranny attached to the supercharged, 4-cylinder hybrid engine QX60.

Yes, that's right. There will be a hybrid next year (released this year). AFAIK, other stuff stays the same.
My interpretation of the 2.5 Supercharged Hybrid was that it would have the new transmission as well, probably to help fuel economy. The thing that leads me to believe they will have the current JX tranny is that someone else said that in 2014 there will be two different CVT trannys available in the JX / QX60.............so my conclusion thoughts are QX60 with 2.5 Supercharged Hybrid will have the Pathy CVT and the QX60 with the current 3.5 will continue with the current JX tranny. That is the only way I could imagine them having 2 different tranny options on the QX60.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I didn't hear anything about two trannies. But I did confirm that there's an AWD hybrid. Also confirmed that the hybrid option doesn't get rid of the trunk/boot nor lose any interior space (apparently the Li-Ion batteries are going under the 3rd row seats).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but now that you're used to your JX trans, don't monkey around in a Pathfinder. The transmission truly is smoother and quieter. No rumble a cruise, and in fact, you can't hear it at all. When you put a load on it by mashing the gas pedal, you hear the motor, nothing else. These cars have the same compression ratio and exhaust system, so that sounds the same in either.

A turbo 4 would be even more entertaining, even if it is linked to an H system :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts