Infiniti JX Forums banner

Valentine 1 / Radar Detector Hardwiring

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  cfrp 
#1 ·
Has anyone hard wired their Valentine 1 or radar detector yet? Where would be a good place to tap the + and ground wires into?

#2 ·
There is an earlier post on how to hack the DVD, to display an iPhone (for example). The post basically details how to pull apart the dash starting with the center console. This would be the best way to tap the wiring, however depending on where you mount the detector (top of window), it may not be a good tap.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/watch-movies-on-navigation-screen-while-jx35-is-moving-t564015.html

Why not throw down on an installed detector. This pushes the detectors to the grill and avoiding the need to mount anything on the dash or visor.

#3 ·
Why not throw down on an installed detector. This pushes the detectors to the grill and avoiding the need to mount anything on the dash or visor.
I've seen that post before and the tap locations didn't make sense for what I want to do. I typically mount the V1 to the upper left of the rearview mirror and then run the wire to either the right or left pillar of the car (depending on where I can get a good tap) and then mount the "concealed display" unit near the steering wheel somewhere.

I don't do "installed" detectors since I simply can't live without the "arrows" on the V1. It has, knock on wood, prevented me from having any tickets over the past 19 years...

#4 ·
There's a company called Blendmount that makes some cool looking mounts that attach to the rearview mirror stem and they also sell a gadget called "mirrortap" that taps power from the mirror (yes, there's power to your mirror).

Maybe someone here wants to invest the time to take some pictures of putting one in and then post a tutorial?

http://store.blendmount.com/blendmo...e-one-radar-detector-infiniti-jx35-p1544.aspx

I've seen these used on MDX's and they look nice.

#5 · (Edited)
WOW! That's nice! But it's not $90 nice... I don't have an issue with using the suction cup mounts since they have never failed on me. What I do like about this mount is that IF the cops do pull you over and are looking for "suction cup" mounts, they won't find any! But if they pull you over nowadays, I assume it will be to give you a ticket since they usually zap you with laser...

#8 ·
Actually, $90 is bad considering that the suction cups work perfectly fine... But admittedly, this mount has a very cool factor to it. But still expensive for $90. Considering the suction cups work for me, I'd think $20 or even $30 would be better pricing.

#13 ·
View attachment 296 View attachment 297 View attachment 298

And I thought I was the only V1 user with a JX
I guess you tapped into the rear view mirror, huh?

Also, do you think that the "blue tint" on the windshield would affect the performance any? I recall some time ago, that certain tints affect the performance. I just forget what type. I do believe the Cadillacs have this tint.

I'm in the midst of installing the concealed display within the instrument panel.... I just need to find where to tap to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.