Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen threads here, here, and here that talk about video formats, but I'm wondering if anyone can give a step-by-step on how they are creating their "JX35 friendly" AVI files.

For example, some questions are:
Are you starting from a DVD? ISO? MP4?
What program are you using to convert to DIVX?
In all/some cases, do you have to run the AviC tool to set the proper attributes?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here is a simple answer. There is software that is available if you do a search on google or yahoo. Some is free, some you pay for, some work great, some not so much.

If you have an iPhone, I would totally suggest using the AV cable that you can purchase at Best Buy for your iPhone. This allows you to play movies using the AUX AV inputs. My kids watch movies all the time from my iPhone on our JX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a simple answer. There is software that is available if you do a search on google or yahoo. Some is free, some you pay for, some work great, some not so much.

If you have an iPhone, I would totally suggest using the AV cable that you can purchase at Best Buy for your iPhone. This allows you to play movies using the AUX AV inputs. My kids watch movies all the time from my iPhone on our JX.
That's a good suggestion, but I should have pointed out that I've attempted to convert files already and every AVI file that I've converted shows up on the JX as unsupported. So, clearly I'm not going thru the correct procedure.

The iPhone/iPod solution is nice but it's just not as convenient as a USB drive that I can just leave in the car all the time. Also, it's not answering the question -- My guess is that other people are having similar issues with USB drives, and would like to know what others are using for their conversion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've seen threads here, here, and here that talk about video formats, but I'm wondering if anyone can give a step-by-step on how they are creating their "JX35 friendly" AVI files.

For example, some questions are:
Are you starting from a DVD? ISO? MP4?
What program are you using to convert to DIVX?
In all/some cases, do you have to run the AviC tool to set the proper attributes?
I have converted Dvds and other media types using this free program (http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/). The main key is to use the right codec and ensure that the file is no larger that 2GB. Once it has been converted, copy it to your USB media, connect and enjoy.

The settings that I use are;

Output Profile: Customized AVI Movie
Video Codec: mpeg4
Frame Size: 720x480
Video Bitrate: 2000 (you can try 4000 but it usually puts it over the 2GB file limit)
Video Framerate: Auto
Audio Codec: mp3 (should be the default)

·
Registered
36 Posts
EDIT: I have used DIVX PLUS CONVERTER (http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus) and I was able to reliably play videos thru USB stick on the JX.

(below is my original post which is now invalid, but I will leave in tact) :)

Like many others, I also fancied the idea of being able to run videos from my 64GB USB Stick. This would have been very handy compared to having dvds in the car.

I have spent many hours, tried many different things, and in the end I gave up. I don't claim I "know it all", but I consider myself to be fairly technical person. Among the things that I have tried:

Different Sized USB Sticks: 2GB, 4GB, 16GB, 64GB (All different size worked)
Format: FAT32, exFAT. (FAT32 required)
Codec: at least 20 different combinations (i am finally tired of walking back and forth between my PC and the JX)

the problem is not getting the USB disk to play the video format, but rather getting it to play reliably and being able to browse thru the USB tree menu.

I was able to get the movie to play using the USB disk at one time, but on the next try, I am not able to. I was also able to browse through the menu tree at one time, but other time I am not able to. At the time I was able to browse, I was not able to reliably browse the next movie.

anyway, I gave up because of the unreliable USB disk play. I know waiting to play the movies thru USB disk would frustrate my 4 year old and worst I won't be able to do it when the car is moving. I ended up burning the movies to good-old DVD.

If anyone know of a way to play and browse the movies reliably, I would certainly want to know as well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a license for DIVX converter and have not had any problems converting movies for the JX. Playing them off a 16gb stick.

In general, the limited configurations that the JX supports makes it difficult. It would be nice if the JX supported some mainstream formats that come from Handbrake.

·
Registered
36 Posts
closenough, thanks for the pointer! I was able to confirm that using DIVX PLUS CONVERTER (http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus) works like a charm! I was able to reliably convert multiple formats to .divx extension and they all play beautifully on the JX. You da man :)

For others: it cost $9.99, but I think its totally worth it to save you the trouble finding correct converter/media format.

·
Registered
3 Posts
question when u used divx converter what output profile did you use? plus hd, hd 1080p, hd 720p, home theater, mobile, ipad, or iphone?

·
Registered
81 Posts
question when u used divx converter what output profile did you use? plus hd, hd 1080p, hd 720p, home theater, mobile, ipad, or iphone?
Home Theatre mode or HD720. JX wont play anything higher than 720

P.S Thanks to all as i was able to get the divx converter and seeing all the files nicely in a folder structure :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts