Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of problems with the transmissions in other Infiniti modles and the same one is being used in the new JX, have the problems been fixed, I drive many miles thru open desert in the summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean? Infiniti never used a CVT before. Nissan's CVT is one of the best available.
Guess I worded it wrong, there are a lot of blogs about the Nissan CVT transmission problems, and now they are going to use it in the Infiniti JX. You say best available, but alot of people would disagree. I just wanted to know if Nissan has corrected the problems, do you own a Nissan with this transmission? I am real intrested in the JX if the problems I read about have been fixed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I actually own one of the first crop Maruno, it's 9 years old, and had no problem. The CVT is as smooth as a silk. Need to get used to in the first week, once you are used to it, you never want to go back to feel every gear change. I heard that some CVT failed and Nissan increased the wattanty to 10 yeas and 100K for teh first year Maruno. They have been offering CVT on Altima and Maxima for years, got to be as realiable as the tranditional ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info, thanks for the imput. It is intresting that you read about a problem, but dont think about how many cars are out there. I have a Lexus RX with 159K that has never had a problem, but if you go on line the 2% of owners that have had problems make it sound like a piece of junk. I really want a JX, just need to convince myself that it is of the same quality as a Lexus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good info, thanks for the imput. It is intresting that you read about a problem, but dont think about how many cars are out there. I have a Lexus RX with 159K that has never had a problem, but if you go on line the 2% of owners that have had problems make it sound like a piece of junk. I really want a JX, just need to convince myself that it is of the same quality as a Lexus.
Lexus RX is the standard in luxury 5-seaters. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise, those things are solid. Only thing I think might be getting close to comparable quality in the 5-seat range would be something like the 2012 SRX from Cadillac.

As for the JX, the CVT transmissions from Nissan, what wheeling said about is exactly correct. The early CVTs weren't perfect out of the game, but Nissan believed in the tech, so they upped the warranty in a big way. Now, they've been working with them so long, you're in great shape picking a CVT transmission from Nissan.

There is something of a comfort-curve with it, because it never shifts. We've had some customers come in who bought a CVT, didn't really understand what that means, go on test drives with our techs, and cry foul when the thing never shifts. Under heavy load, it'll jump up to something like 4,000 rpm and stay there as it accelerates.

But for something like the new JX, it'll be just gravy. Better fuel economy and reliable power when you're looking to pass without wondering which gear it'll pick. Especially for SUVs, these transmissions make a lot of sense.

You're in good shape on this front. :)

--

James B.
Internet Manager
417 Infiniti in Ottawa, ON, Canada

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
People rarely go online to talk about how great their purchase was, but almost every unsatisfied customer will go online and make something of it. But realistically its only a small percentage of all the owners. It's like this in every industry. I've read about some of the CVT problems but they seem to be isolated as there are other owners that have no problems. I change my transmission fluid often. Don't beat the crap out of the auto. It works.

My family has a Maxima.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My mechanic for my 2007 G35S Sedan was a master mechanic with an Infiniti dealer and a Nissan dealer for a number of years and specializes in Infiniti/Nissan in his independent repair shop for the past 2-3 years. I asked what he thought of the CVT coming in the JX and he gave me a 10 minute exposition on it. Basically, he said there were some problems during the first 2 years the Nissan was putting it in their cars. They've worked out all the kinks and now he wouldn't have any second thoughts about the current Nissan/Infiniti CVT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I test drove the Lexus Suv and the road noise was horrible , the infiniti is much better quality hands down in my opinion . Test drive the Mdx and the Lexus with the radio off and then test drive the Jx ... The Infiniti has a much quiter cabin ride in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts