Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbee here on the forum and just wanted to share something.
Background: We bought our JX35 (AWD) about 9-10 months ago, currently has a little over 10,000 miles on it. It's my wife's soccer mom car. My wife likes it alot and I think it's a very nice family SUV. We came off of a '11 QX56 because my wife thought it was just a little to big for her taste. I shed a little tear when I had to let it go :-( I loved that big monster with 400hp!
I think the JX35 has ample power although more would be nice but then again, it's my wife's/family SUV so can't really complain. We've taken a couple of road trips and the kids really enjoyed the creature comforts of the vehicle as well as the DVD players. The SUV performed flawlessly and it was a quiet comfortable ride. For a V6, it performed well climbing up a 8,000 ft. mountain. I'm not a fan of the CVT but I am getting used to it every time I drive the vehicle.

After the last trip, I noticed a small puddle of fluid in the garage underneath the vehicle. I got underneath the vehicle and noticed that the transmission transfer case was covered with what appeared to be CVT fluid. I took it to the dealership and the service department confirmed that it was the CVT transfer case leaking fluid. Initially, they were just going to swap out the seal but Infiniti is swapping out the entire transfer case. Infiniti wanted the transfer case to further study the cause. Apparantlly, our JX35 is not the only one with this issue.

I'm not trying to make you JX35 owners nervous. I would suggest keeping an eye on any fluid leaks. BTW, my wife once ran out of gas due to the faulty fuel gauge. We must have gotten one of the very first models.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for the history and concern. It's good to hear suggestions from others, and I hope your new tranny doesn't have issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like brand new synthetic engine oil, very light in color. It's not red/burgundy like you'd expexct of typical transmission fluid. You can actually see the transfer case without putting the vehicle on jacks. Mine was covered with this stuff so it was a no brainer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dead new jx

We picked up my wife's new JX yesterday. 10 Yards after we left the dealership and stopped at a stop sign, the vehicle wouldn't move.

Looked like tranny fluid, no warning light. No nothing...Shouldn't there be some light or warning?

Left the car at the stop sign at 2PM on Christmas Eve. We will not forget that...

What would you do? Would you take the car back? Would you ask for extended warranty, discount, new car?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You've lost all confidence in the vehicle. I'd get my money back and call it a day (find another vehicle). You'll never feel comfortable in this car no matter what they tell/promise you.

Fortunately this isn't a common problem or you'd see more feedback/comments from others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first choice was a new vehicle. They had no more in stock loaded White/ Java JXs in state, and they did not want to pay for shipping. They had one coming in next month, but could not guarantee the finance rebate would still be in effect.

They offered me two choices:

Infiniti Premium Maintenance contract - 24 month/ 36,000 miles - zero cost
Infiniti Premium Maintenance contract - 36 month/ 45,000 miles - $299

I picked the $299 plan. Figured the transmission warranty is 6-year/70,000-mile Powertrain coverage, so I should be OK.

Thoughts....

·
Registered
524 Posts
I personally feel they should have offered you more. For example, a loaner until a replacement was available.

This doesn't alleviate your quality concerns. You will always wonder if you'll break down on any road-trip. Any hiccup you'll think something is broken. The maintenance program is a very inexpensive program for the dealership.

You want to believe that vehicle is safe and reliable. If this happened to me, I'd never believe this.

Something similar happened to my Jeep. The tranny went out after about 10K, however I kept it for another 12 years. While I kept the SUV a long time, every time the tranny shifted strange I thought it was broken or about to die. It's added stress that's not needed.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
My first choice was a new vehicle. They had no more in stock loaded White/ Java JXs in state, and they did not want to pay for shipping. They had one coming in next month, but could not guarantee the finance rebate would still be in effect.

I picked the $299 plan. Figured the transmission warranty is 6-year/70,000-mile Powertrain coverage, so I should be OK.

Thoughts....
I would not be happy with this dealership. They could locate what you wanted and pick up that cost. My dealership didn't have what my wife and I wanted so they found one on the east coast, cut the deal with that dealership and they paid for its transport. They gave us a new Infiniti loaner until ours came in, which was about 9 weeks. Your dealership should give you that service contract at no charge. Just the fact that it didn't get very far after they gave you the keys, and that it happened during the holiday should be enough modivation for them to sweeten the pot.

Had this happen to me and the dealership not bending backward to make things right, I would have contacted our Seattle NBC news station. They have Jesse Jones. He loves stories like this and gets a good resolution every time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Thoughts....
Doesn't seem like a very good dealership. So are they fixing the car now?

How long do you have to wait?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I personally would be happy with the free maintenance program, and I assume they are giving you a loaner. Maybe the dealership missed something in the inspection, but we will really never know that. If they fix the vehicle, there is then nothing wrong with it, and hopefully you will be problem free. Sometimes you just have to realize the world is not perfect and things happen. At least a solution will be an amazing vehicle. Those that lost children on the east coast a few weeks ago will never have their losses / problems resolved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The vehicle was fixed, and I picked it up yesterday. The salesman was wonderful, however the sales manger, who I dealt with during all negotiations, was very transaction oriented. Not sure he had much flexibility. In my opinion they did not bend over backwards at all:

1- No loaner car.
2- No offer to transport a new car from out of state. "too much money"
3- No offer to pick my wife up at our home to go get the car after the repair (40 min. each way)
4- Car was still not ready when we arrived the 2nd time. (Clear bra stuff and mats - which they thought was done)
5- I really didn't want the service contract, I wanted a good car.
6- They offered me the 24month, 30,000 mile maintenance contract for free as compensation for the defect, or the 36 month, 45,000 mile maintenance contract for $300 extra, which I agreed to. "deal was too skinny"

You get to know folks when things don't go according to plan. Nice people, however, I do not think they have a customer centric focus.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
The vehicle was fixed, and I picked it up yesterday. The salesman was wonderful, however the sales manger, who I dealt with during all negotiations, was very transaction oriented. Not sure he had much flexibility. In my opinion they did not bend over backwards at all:

1- No loaner car.
2- No offer to transport a new car from out of state. "too much money"
3- No offer to pick my wife up at our home to go get the car after the repair (40 min. each way)
4- Car was still not ready when we arrived the 2nd time. (Clear bra stuff and mats - which they thought was done)
5- I really didn't want the service contract, I wanted a good car.
6- They offered me the 24month, 30,000 mile maintenance contract for free as compensation for the defect, or the 36 month, 45,000 mile maintenance contract for $300 extra, which I agreed to. "deal was too skinny"

You get to know folks when things don't go according to plan. Nice people, however, I do not think they have a customer centric focus.
This is not the way Infiniti wants to do business and I know they will be listen to your issue. For a luxury car dealership, this is disappointing and not acceptable. I really recommend you contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs right away and demand to speak to someone about this horrible experience. Just the fact that they didn't provide a loaner vehicle or provide a ride is inexcusable. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd have told them I had a 3 day period to nullify the contract and they can have it back.

I agree w/ the above poster... no loaner? WTF! When I was test driving cars to find the right one, the dealer let me take them home for the night. I would think warranty repairs should cover the cost of a loaner too. Any time I've had warranty issues with any car that take more than an hour or 2 to address, they would give me a loaner and I'm on my way (Hummer, Toyota, Mitsubishi, any of the ones I've had). I'd expect the same out of Infiniti.

The maintenance contract costs them next to nothing I imagine. My dealer threw a 1 year pkg into the deal after we negotiated everything, just as a nice gesture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts