Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

I worked with CravenSpeed to come up with a Tow Hook License Plate adapter for the JX35. This is really so that I didn't have to drill the front bumper and still be in compliance with the state laws.

2013-04-06 13.49.27.jpg 2013-02-23 11.12.28.jpg 2013-04-06 13.49.47_2.jpg 2013-04-06 13.44.05.jpg
The second picture is almost what it looks like w/o the plate. The attachment is at the center and angled, but this was one of the plates I tested out.

It doesn't block any of the sensors for parking or even the adaptive cruise control!

I normally don't have it attached but wanted to make sure if I needed it for a fix it ticket, I'd have it.

If anyone is interested in buying it, and if there's enough interest I can ask if they're interested in doing a group buy and what the minimum would be. Otherwise, you can order it from their site.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Interesting.. I'm currently flurting with the law and not displaying my government badge. I'm not sure what the texas laws are, but a front plate looks ugly on the JX.

I'm curious if you get more interest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting the pictures of this and the information on blocking the sensors--this was a real concern of mine. I actually was just thinking about ordering this but wondered what it looked like. I like that it actually curves with the car a bit as I was afraid it would be really jutted out if flush with the front of the car.

I really don't want to drill holes in the front of our car in case we move to another state that doesn't require it. Texas does but based on a lot of forums I've read, it doesn't sound like they really enforce it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that was one of my concerns when I started contacting them about it. They were really easy to work with and I had to send them the tow hook. They have the normal plate which would be flush to the front part or flat part of the bumper and that bothered the parking sensors alot. So I switched it to the angled plate and in the beginning it was an issue at times too. After some more adjustments the angle was redefined.

You may notice that the plate actually is about an inch or two in front of the bumper and not flush. The reason for that is to really address the issue when you actually need to use the tow hook itself. So you can get in there with tools and remove this mount.

2013-04-06 13.50.38.jpg

Each state is different and each cop is different too. I've been driving in Cali since 2006 in my 2004 Acura TL with tinted tail lights. The tail lights passed state inspection when I registered it here from PA. In 2008 or 2009, on my way back from Vegas, I was pulled over for tinted tail lights on the highway by a cop stopped at a rest stop. He didn't pull over the Mustang with the 5% limo tint all around that was in front of me. He drove along side, looked at my lights and pulled me over. But he then also had to leave because there was an accident somewhere. I've never had any other time when a cop pulled me over for that. So go figure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well now you are causing me a lot of concerns. I received mine very quickly and it isn't angled even close to enough to use. So when yours was angled incorrectly (how much?) and/or flush, it did affect the sensors? Mine cuts straight into the bumper and would scratch the heck out of it in its current form. Someone must not have written down how much they had to angle/bend the metal when working with you.

So now I don't know whether to work with them as much as you did to get it right (and worry about the sensors being affected) or just say forget it and just not get a front plate at all. I just emailed Craven Speed and will follow up on Monday to see what they say.

I've attached pictures of what I received and you can see the massive difference in angling between yours and mine.

IMG_2420.jpg IMG_2423.jpg IMG_2426.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contact them again and see if they gave you the one for the JX35. That looks like the normal angled plate for the Audi. They originally sent me that plate during the design phase.
If you don't want to deal with sending it back and stuff, you can unscrew the rod so that it comes out a little. Bolt on the plate, then bend it by hand and then screw the rod tighter. That's what I actually did, but I sent them back the modified plate. They sent me a brand new plate that's bent correctly as the final product.

Look at the last picture in the 1st post and you can see how it finally looks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have this license plate adapter and it has been great, until now. I just recently went in for the recall for the ABS software reprogram and have now noticed the sensor going off about detecting an object in the front passenger side of the car (where the adapter is). It doesnt occur all the time, it usually goes off when you first start the car for a second or two every 30 seconds or so but then stops after around 5 minutes and acts normally. I dont know if the ABS reprogram affected the sensor or not but before the recall I did not experience this for the couple of months I have had the adapter.

Dont know what to do to resolve this, maybe might have to take off the adapter to see if it occurs without it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's good to know. I wonder why the abs reprogram affects the parking sensors. I wonder if the bracket was moved somehow. If it's too far out, it gets in the way of the sensor. I would try to put it closer to the bumper if possible but still allowing you the ability to remove it when necessary. So if you think of the senor area is a cone, the closer you are to the source, the less area of sensitivity you'll have.

I have not used the adapter after the reprogram so I can't reproduce the setup yet.

But looking back at the pictures that I posted before. If you're looking at the license plate, try to push the left side of the plate closer to the bumper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took Thorin78's advice and adjusted the plate to be more angled so that the side closest to the sensor would be closer to the bumper. It seems to have resolved the issues for now, thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts