Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of the vehicle the cabin was super silent. After driving for 2 weeks I start to hear the rattle that many of you mentioned. This has been verified by me to be the center speaker cover not being installed tight enough. It emits a light buzz sound when driving at highway speeds. I put my hand on it and the sounds stops so its an easy fix. I can put some tape on it or just wait until I go in for the first oil change and have them address it. Have any of you had it fixed at the dealership? If so, what is the fix?

Also recently, when driving over rough roads I hear squeaks coming from behind the driver's seat. I cannot narrow it down but I think its the second row bench. I tightened the bose subwoofer, opened the sub-trunk cover of the tools and jack space and retightened the velcro. I even sat on the third row seat and tried to push the interior panels and floor. My wife tried sitting on the second row bench and the annoying sounds went away when driving. It basically sounds like a metal rod squeaking so I thought it was the metal rod underneath the benche used to slide the bench forward and backward. Once my wife sits back in the front with me, the sounds came back. Anyone else have this issue or familiar with it? It is driving me crazy because I dont know what is causing it.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
When I took delivery of the vehicle the cabin was super silent. After driving for 2 weeks I start to hear the rattle that many of you mentioned. This has been verified by me to be the center speaker cover not being installed tight enough. It emits a light buzz sound when driving at highway speeds. I put my hand on it and the sounds stops so its an easy fix. I can put some tape on it or just wait until I go in for the first oil change and have them address it. Have any of you had it fixed at the dealership? If so, what is the fix?

Also recently, when driving over rough roads I hear squeaks coming from behind the driver's seat. I cannot narrow it down but I think its the second row bench. I tightened the bose subwoofer, opened the sub-trunk cover of the tools and jack space and retightened the velcro. I even sat on the third row seat and tried to push the interior panels and floor. My wife tried sitting on the second row bench and the annoying sounds went away when driving. It basically sounds like a metal rod squeaking so I thought it was the metal rod underneath the benche used to slide the bench forward and backward. Once my wife sits back in the front with me, the sounds came back. Anyone else have this issue or familiar with it? It is driving me crazy because I dont know what is causing it.
I recently had the dealership fix a rattle in the right B column post behind the right front seat. They sent a technician with me so that he could identify what I was hearing. He said that Infiniti has a protocol for things like this and I do recommend you schedule a visit with your dealership's service department and request the technician to ride with you. What I was told by the man that fixed my item was that once he can identify the noise, he starts with removing the parts near the rattle, then tries to find the source. Once he thinks he has it isolated, he uses twist ties, insulation and other materials to cushion the area. He replaces the parts, then takes a test drive to see if the problem is gone. If not, he moves to the next closest item. He said that there is so much in the way of technical parts in the dash that many of the sounds one may hear actually are radiated from a more distant location. If my dash rattle comes back, I'll be requesting the same technician.

I haven't heard or seen any postings regarding the rear seat noise. As I've been saying in all my postings regarding issues, take the car in for service. You'll get the free loaner and hopefully get your problem taken care of. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, Ziggy. I have exactly what you describe. I have not had the time to bring it in to the shop to be analyzed. I have also been trying my best to log the circumstances when this awful squeaking is the worst. I don't have any issues on smooth roads but when going over bumpy surfaces at over 25 miles an hour is when it is the worst. I will even take a ride over near the dealer to figure out what roads and at what speed I will be driving with a service tech so they definitely hear what I ma hearing and can pinpoint where it is coming from. When it first happened it was driving me insane. Now I make sure, when I am in the car alone, I turn up the radio. It is slightly annoying, and a little embarrassing to have others in the car. Brand new car and it squeaks like a 1978 Econoline Van.

I tried to have my daughter pinpoint where it was coming from when she was driving with me. She sits second row behind passenger seat but with her young ears and the nature of being in an enclosed vehicle, she though it was coming from closer to me, pointing to the back of my seat or where the rear AC controls are. It sounds further back to me. Like you said, second row bench. I have tried every permutation and angle of the seats to get it to stop but with no success.

I'm sure this will be showing up in more and more JX's moving forward. Please report back if you are able to pinpoint where exactly this is happening. I will do the same but my car will not be going into Infiniti until next month. This is my first Infiniti and love the car so far outside of this awful squeak and the whacky transmission, which I'm getting used to (but I came out of a BMW 750 which had horsepower to spare).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have identified a rattle in the driver side door as coming (I think) from a very loose piece of plastic behind the door latch (to the rear). Will discuss with the dealership when I bring the car back so they can finish removing the little bits of factory plastic they neglected to when I picked it up.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
so they can finish removing the little bits of factory plastic they neglected to when I picked it up.
If you want, just take a pliers, grab the plastic and wiggle it back and forth while pulling. It should come out. One of my pet peeves about the car is that it can be very difficult for the detailers to get every last piece of plastic out from the nooks and crannies of the car. On almost every one I sell, I find some plastic someplace. I wish Infiniti would perforate it someplace behind where it tucks into the body work.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with Sinecure. When we bought our **********, I had it written into the deal that they were not to remove the plastic or wash it. I wanted to do it myself after reading about PDI knife slices, scratches, and such. I've learned a lot from this forum... Anyway, I consider myself a reasonably competent car guy, but getting the plastic from the door panels was a monster. It wanted to tear at the panel plugs, which left a little tail that required special weapons and tactics to remove. Way harder than it has to be

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'd give the dealership a try and if you aren't pleased fix it yourself. With my Acura TL the dealership did a shotty job at fixing the noise in the dash and also broke some clips doing it. I ended up fixing it myself using a similar trial and error method as mentioned above.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I might have figured it out. In an effort to figure out the second row squeak, I flattened the second row seats. I lowered both sides by push the seat backs forward until flat. Squeaks disappeared. So I raise the passenger side single seat and sound is still gone. Next I raised the driver side double seat backrest and the sound comes back!!! I know the source now but don't know the fix. It's definitely the driver side seatback squeaking but why?

·
Registered
2 Posts
second row seats squek -lower trim plastic on 2d row drivers seat needs to be removed, padded and re installed.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Would it be possible to take a photo of the lower plastic trim on your JX? Would definitely help others in fixing the second row squeaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We do notice the same metal squeaks coming from the second row seat. That drives the wife crazy so we have scheduled a service appointment for this issue next week. I will post what transpires with the diagnosis and resolution, if any.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
second row seats squek -lower trim plastic on 2d row drivers seat needs to be removed, padded and re installed.
Thanks. How did you come to that conclusion? Also, why does the squeaking disappear when the seat itself is flattened?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We took the car for diagnosis and had to drive around with the "techie" to confirm the noise. The techie did hear the noise but could not localize it hence no fix yet. There was dampness as well at the time and noise did not happen as often when the air is dry. The service advisor assured us that the complaint is noted on file and promised to rectify the issue should the source of the squeaks can be localized. As with the previous post, we think that these noises are coming from the second row seat. We will monitor and record the squeaks if need be to get this issue fixed eventually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My JX got top dash rattle since day one, but after 10000km, it seems gone away
i never heard of any metal squeak from second row on my JX
but recently it starts to squeak from front seat bases and/or around the front doors' bottom area...

·
Registered
12 Posts
We took our JX back to the dealership to have them look at the metallic squeaks for the second time. We are now equipped with a DVD video to demonstrate how the squeaks really sound and for the service folks locate and fix the cause. We played the video in the car while the service advisor watched and convinced that there really is a problem. We were given a loaner and left our car behind with them to diagnose and fix.

Apparently they consulted with the Canadian Infinity central service line and the recommendation given was just to tighthen the screws and lubricate the rails of the second row seat. We got the call back at the end of the day to pick the car up.

To our dismay, driving home the squeaks are still there and have not gone away. We will not rest until this problem is fixed. To be continued.....

BTW, here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y__kZNg4qU

I will also appreciate if anyone have had the same problem and advise on how that was fixed. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
We took our JX back to the dealership to have them look at the metallic squeaks for the second time. We are now equipped with a DVD video to demonstrate how the squeaks really sound and for the service folks locate and fix the cause. We played the video in the car while the service advisor watched and convinced that there really is a problem. We were given a loaner and left our car behind with them to diagnose and fix.

Apparently they consulted with the Canadian Infinity central service line and the recommendation given was just to tighthen the screws and lubricate the rails of the second row seat. We got the call back at the end of the day to pick the car up.

To our dismay, driving home the squeaks are still there and have not gone away. We will not rest until this problem is fixed. To be continued.....

BTW, here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y__kZNg4qU

I will also appreciate if anyone have had the same problem and advise on how that was fixed. Thanks in advance.
You deserve an award for the video intro and ending. It sounds like a cricket chirp. Your dealership should be able to fix that annoying noise. Keep us posted. I'd be curious to know what it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the exact same issue with the second row seat. I know it is coming from the second row seat because when I reach back and press down on the seat while driving, the noise goes away. I noticed two things on the second row -- the seat in back of the driver has some "give" to it if I rock back and forth while seated on it. I wonder if this is what is contributing to the noise. Secondly, I noticed that the seat behind the driver and the seat behind the front passenger do not align up flat when the seats are pushed all the way up. The seat behind the driver is a bit lower. Again, only when pushed all the way up. They are perfectly aligned when pushed all the way back. I have 1000 miles on the vehicle, so I was going to wait until my next service call to have them check it out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update: My dealer is finally convinced that there really is a problem regarding interior noise in our JX after we had the body shop foreman rode with us to hear it for himself. The car has been with them for the second day in row now. We are awaiting the good news, if any and what was the final diagnosis and fix rendered. I will share the info for the benefit of the members of this forum who may happen to have similar issue with their JXs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, 3 days went by with the JX under repair by the dealer. We were told that it took that long to order and ship the part as the part came frm across the country. The short of the long story, we took the car back with the dealer's assurance that the noise is fixed. Again to our dismay, the noises were still there ang getting worse. Apparently they replaced the base of the long second row seat, which we think was a futile effort as the squeaks did not go away.

So, back we went to the dealer to see to it that the problem be fixed. We were told that the source of the squeaks has been found as per the body shop foreman. He said that some report had come in where there were several cases like ours were dealt with in some parts of the country, Canada, and the fix has been found. Unfortunately, they needed to have the car for a day and they ran out of a loaner for us and was told to schedule another appointment. And so we did....to be continued...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts