Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being a software engineer I often find myself thinking about how other systems work, the CVT in my new JX being one of those systems. I am not a mechanic so if I get something wrong please don't shoot me. As far as I know the CVT is mostly software controlled instructing CVT when to "shift", in the JX's case changing diameter of the variable diameter pulleys. I've noticed myself learning how to get along best with the CVT algorithms for increasing/decreasing drive ratios, for example

- In Eco, the CVT is too quick to get into a higher gear after a pedal mash, feels like an old slush box, so I find the standard mode algorithm more useful for acceleration
- In Standard if hit the gas somewhat hard off the line then draw back on the accelerator too much I find the CVT also fights to get my RPMs down quickly
- In Standard the "sweet spot" I have found in the CVT's logic is to squeeze the accelerator then hold it there or just back off ever so slightly and you get nice acceleration coupled with a gradual graceful drop in RPM...ah the joys of CVT :)

My JX has the "old" CVT, does anyone with a new CVT in their JX find it responds similarly? I'm particularity interested to know if Infiniti has kept6the same feel to the CVT, and thus the same or similar algorithms for gearing.

I've also found myself wondering about the differences between the JX/QX60 and the Pathfinder. On another thread someone said something like "...but the JX/QX 60" has a manual shift option, so it can't have the same CVT as JX". I propose that if the CVT is software controlled then the manual mode on the JX/QX60 is nothing more than manual input to software which then instructs the CVT how to respond and simulate the given gear. This said, I wouldn't be surprised if the CVT hardware is nearly identical and only *maybe* the software differs...and of course a shifter mechanism that allows the physical movement needed perform the "shift" actions by the driver. :)

Lastly, are there any new pathfinder owners out there who can comment of the behavior of their CVT compared to that of the JX I have listed here? Has anyone driven both, how did the CVT respond differently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think your post is an interesting one.

I am narrowing down my choice down to the QX60. Coming from a Q5 which I love but not pratical with a third kid on the way. I thought the Enclave (cheaper and roomier) or the new MDX (better performance) would win out, or better yet, just cheap out and get the Pathfinder... but some how we are coming back to the QX60 (good balance between value, pratical, and luxury items we will miss in a Pathfinder), even with it's obvious drawbacks... like that engine and CVT.

Due to the confusing nature of the CVT that Infiniti decided not to disclose to the public, I've been holding off my purchase until I truely understand what is up with all these variations in transmissions. Steel belt CVT... Steel Chain CVT... versions A through D of the new CVT to fix the judder for the Steel Chain CVT... varying software between the Pathfinder and JX/QX60... change in MPG...mid-cycle change. Did the last CVT version make it to the first batch of QX60? Questions... questions... questions.

Helping out by bumping up this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts