Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Pathfinder is on the road, many of the automotive reviewing companies have posted their initial reviews. I watched most of them already and can tell that there are some pretty significant differences between the two cars. One reviewer actually explained the differences between the two CVTs. From what it sounds like, the Pathfinder's Xtronic has a steel gear/chain drive whereas the JX has a steel belt. The Pathfinder transmission is designed to pull the extra load and does have an extra cooling fan for the transmission.

Several off road tests were conducted in the hills of Petaluma and Napa California which I found pretty interesting. The Pathfinder did well on the steep hills and they did test the standard 2 wheel mode, the Automatic and 4x4 lock mode. Based on what the reviews showed, other than the JX not having the 4 x 4 lock feature, I get the feeling that it would do fine in similar circumstances.

Several reviews do describe some basic differences between the two vehicles, and you can definitely see the differences are in the levels of technology. Although I like what I see in the Pathfinder, I really like the JX and don't regret loading it up. I think all the bells and whistles are worth it for the price.

For those still deciding what there next car will be, or the JX owners wondering what the differences are, I'd encourage them to go to YouTube to view the reviews. Here is one if you want a direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883q6lJVKTg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here's what Edmunds said: "The Pathfinder's cabin is put together well and boasts quality materials. Indeed, you may think you're in an Infiniti once you get inside the Platinum trim level, given the variety of rich finishes and accents. Despite the abundance of features (especially in higher trims), the various controls are easy to reach and intuitive."

Car and Driver said, " Coming off the same Tennessee assembly lines that screw together the Infiniti JX35, it’s essentially a Nissan-branded version of that machine, but with its own sheetmetal".

I know the PF isn't a JX. For the quirks of our wish list, it's a bit better, in our opinion. It's obviously the other way for JX buyers. Everyone has opinions, and hence, so many marketplace options.

I've read in the reviews about how the new gen CVT uses a chain. I've seen, though, on the Nissan animations that it uses a steel belt, that is fundamental to how a CVT works. I don't see how you can pinch a chain (typically a "chain" has rivets and side plates) between two varying pulley sizes. What makes the big difference with the new CVT is the addition of a planetary gear set and revised belt and ramp angles. That gives a wider overall gearing range, resulting in the Mallfinder having a lower low gear ratio for quicker acceleration and quicker lock-up for reduced torque converter hydro-dynamic loss, and a higher overall gear ratio for lower cruising RPM for less noise and fuel consumption. Here's a link to the comparison in Nissan's own words and animations, which clearly says "belt" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-lABxvUJ8

There is definitely a range on an individual's traction needs, so they everything from FWD to AWD to 4WD with the two models.

For us, the Mallfinder Platinum deciders were 1.) New Xtronic, 2.) 4WD, 3.) Body styling,.... 1000.) Price

Absolutely, the JX has more technologies. Lots of fun stuff going on there.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Different strokes for different folks! If you want the tech and comfort/badge go for the JX. If you want the capabilities and don't care as much about all that tech, go for the pathfinder!

·
Registered
149 Posts
One major thing im happy about, is that the JX isn't a fancier Pathfinder, there are a ton of differences. Gone are the days of rebadging and spicing up a car to be the new luxury model!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Even if it was there is nothing wrong with that. The pathfinder is great car. Nothing wrong with adding some premium to a great car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Even if it was there is nothing wrong with that. The pathfinder is great car. Nothing wrong with adding some premium to a great car.
True.

But it doesn't give a real feel of a true luxury car. At the end of the day, it will be considered a NISSAN. In this case we can officially call the JX an Infiniti although it may share some things with the pathfinder.

the mid 90's QX was a Nissan at heart.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One other thing I noticed on the Pathfinder is the glove box and center console are not felt lined like the JX. Obviously that by itself isn't a huge deal, but yet another nice feature on the Infiniti.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One other thing I noticed on the Pathfinder is the glove box and center console are not felt lined like the JX. Obviously that by itself isn't a huge deal, but yet another nice feature on the Infiniti.
that felt lining does help with the overall luxury car feel

·
Registered
248 Posts
You didn't put a smiley by that, were you serious, that's a big deal? I would never drive around with my glovebox and center console hatch open to enjoy that luxury touch, so it's not that big a deal except that the felt shows lint better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's just one of those small attentions to detail that you would expect from a more luxury minded vehicle. I wouldnt drive around with my glove compartment or center counsel open either. But it does make me feel better putting my case-less iphone in there :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry, I read my post and it sounds rude. I should have put a smiley on it myself.

It seems like some small details are being compared, when there are some pro-PF advantages that are significant, like the transmission and real roof rails.

Looking at comparisons another way, compare the base JX to the Platinum Premium PF, about the same cost. Over the base JX, the PF has 20" alloys, aluminum roof rails, tri-zone entertainment, heated/cooled front seats with heated rears, tow package, 120v outlet, more 12v's, dual sunroof, Homelink, Bose (but not 5.1), big screen navigation, and around view monitor (off of memory, there may be more). If you added all the cross-linked JX packages to get those features, you would have a very expensive JX. That starts to make the PF look like a heck of a good deal. But again, I am going off of function (CVT, 4x4) over form on our selection. We are blessed that cost isn't a factor for us for anything we buy. But for the majority of people who finance, it is!

If Infiniti would have put the new CVT in the JX, I would be looking at them all together differently. But that's just me, and I acknowledge that I have a warped perception on vehicles.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
were you serious, that's a big deal? I would never drive around with my glovebox and center console hatch open to enjoy that luxury touch
That's why you're buying a Mallfinder. I rub that felt every freakin' day and commend myself on having a superior appreciation of true luxury appointments. Pfft. Plebes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats an awfully snarky response Sinecure. If you want to pay on average 9k more for a glorified pathfinder thats your perogative but dont poo poo on people who think before they buy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's why you're buying a Mallfinder. I rub that felt every freakin' day and commend myself on having a superior appreciation of true luxury appointments. Pfft. Plebes.
I find myself subconsciously squeezing the passenger seat bolster, rubbing the leather between my fingers as I commute to work. Overall the leather has a thick and supple quality. Someone said earlier the PF has thin and/or lesser quality leather seats. While I'm sure the felt-lined glove box is good, supple leather is better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The thing that I like about Infiniti vs Nissan is when I drop off my JX and they provide me with a loaner rather than waiting around like you would if you are a PF owner. Now that's luxury. :cool:

·
Registered
248 Posts
The thing that I like about Infiniti vs Nissan is when I drop off my JX and they provide me with a loaner rather than waiting around like you would if you are a PF owner. Now that's luxury. :cool:
Why do you drop it off? I do all of my own maintenance so I am not inconvenienced with taking it the dealer in the first place. My Volvo had free maintenance early in it's life, but I did the work and bought the materials myself anyway. I do it better and in less total amount of time expended. Do you think the dealer guys use torque wrenches or impact guns when rotating your tires? Luxury is whatever you value it to be, I guess.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why do you drop it off? I do all of my own maintenance so I am not inconvenienced with taking it the dealer in the first place. My Volvo had free maintenance early in it's life, but I did the work and bought the materials myself anyway. I do it better and in less total amount of time expended. Do you think the dealer guys use torque wrenches or impact guns when rotating your tires? Luxury is whatever you value it to be, I guess.
Gibbons, I'm in Canada and there doesn't seem to be anything luxurious about Nissan or Infiniti service up here. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Why wouldn't I drop it off? With a push of a button on the JX, I'm connected to someone at Infiniti Personal Assistant, tell him/her the time and date I'd like to drop by for service and after confirming the requested info with the dealer, Infiniti Personal Assistant calls me back to confirm everything's been set up. Don't know about you but I'll be utilizing the free services throughout the 3 year lease and be spending more time with my kids and family.
I had my share of good times doing my own maintenance, upgrades and modifications on my FX.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts