Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my beloved JX35 for 3-4 months now and it's awesome! Except...what's with the gas mileage? I'm getting 15mpg--not even close to the 18-21 that was promised. It's a little better with highway-only driving, of course, but not by that much. I drive around town in my suburban community 90% of the time. I'm hitting a gas station twice a week sometimes! I drive on the standard setting (the ECO setting is horribly cumbersome). My husband thinks there's something wrong with my car, so I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage do other JX owners get in suburban driving conditions?

·
Registered
126 Posts
wow...very odd Stacy. My wife is getting 18-19 MPG..without fail....A very impressive MPG.
She keeps it in Economy mode. And I keep the tires inflated to 39 PSI. I have installed a [email protected] reusable air filter
which I think has helped.
airlaird

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I had a customer come in recently who was adamant that there was something horribly wrong with her car. "I get terrible gas mileage." "I just drive around town normally." "I don't drive super fast." "You sold me a terrible car." "No way it is my fault." "You salesmen are all the same - lie to us about how much mileage we'll get...yada yada yada."

We checked out the car. Nothing apparently wrong with it. So because I was bored (or a masochist), I agreed to go for a ride with her. First thing I notice is that she hits the gas like the dude next to us is racing us for pinks. WTF? Full gas to the next light where she stands on the brakes. Next thing I notice is she uses her left foot on the brake. It just rests there all the time. You know the type - you follow them down the freeway and their brake lights are ALWAYS on. Next, I ask where she lives. Oh, up there (pointing to the top of a huge hill in town).

Now I'm thinking "how do I tell this woman she is a freakin idiot?" I explained that driving style, conditions, etc., all contribute to fuel economy. In my SUV I get 23mpg on the freeway and only abou 15 in town (I live atop a big hill too).

So Stacy, maybe it's you? It could be something with the car, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am LOL because while I am a fast driver, I'm actually a very good driver--not an idiot ;-). Certainly my lead foot does contribute somewhat to my poor gas mileage, but it's still far worse than any other car I've had. My Honda minivan and Acura MDX both had much better mileage. I had hoped when they said 18-21 mpg that would at least mean I was at the low end of the range. It does much better on the economy setting, but I find it unpleasant to drive that way. I have a friend who has the larger Infiniti SUV, and she told me she only gets 11mpg! So I wondered if maybe Infiniti is known for poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JX will easily eat gas if you have poor driving habits and or have a lead foot. You also don't need to use Eco mode to get good gas mileage. If I'm aggressive with the pedal I'll see 15mpg as well. Normal driving I'll see 18-22

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have about 10,000 mi on our JX - overall average is 21.4 mpg, on our most recent trip we got 23.1 mpg on a 800 mi mostly highway haul using regular 87 oct gas.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm also averaging 21 MPG over 7K miles. Stacy, do you live in a high-altitude region, or do you consider yourself an "aggressive" driver? Some of these can account for the difference.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In our Pathfinder, my wife gets 16mpg short-hopping 1.5 miles to work with a cold motor. When I drove it 28 miles to work on the freeway, I got 28mpg at 65mph. Your routes and routines dramatically affect mileage.

By the way, on my commuting route, where the PF got 28, our 2.5 liter Subie Outback gets 29, our 2.5T Volvo XC70 gets 17, and our F250HD 4x4 gets 15.6. I think the PF/JX fuel economy is incredible, given the cars' size, weight, power, and capabilities.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I get 18.5 mpg. I am estimating that I am driving 50% highway and 50% city road.
I drive in Eco mode most of the time.

When I first got the car, I am driving the JX with extremely light feet and was able to get about 20mpg.

I recently serviced my JX and got a 2011 G37x as a loaner. the car has 15k miles, and the fuel economy on the screen was showing 17.8mpg. this makes me feel a little better comparing it to JX.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I am LOL because while I am a fast driver, I'm actually a very good driver--not an idiot ;-). Certainly my lead foot does contribute somewhat to my poor gas mileage, but it's still far worse than any other car I've had. My Honda minivan and Acura MDX both had much better mileage. I had hoped when they said 18-21 mpg that would at least mean I was at the low end of the range. It does much better on the economy setting, but I find it unpleasant to drive that way. I have a friend who has the larger Infiniti SUV, and she told me she only gets 11mpg! So I wondered if maybe Infiniti is known for poor gas mileage.
We've got over 8,000 miles on our JX and consistantly get between 19.1 and 22.2 mpg. On our 2,000 mile trip from Washington to Sea Ranch, we got 24.1 highway and 22.0 on the hilly and windy roads. I typically use the standard mode and don't stomp on it, but I do keep up with traffic and usually drive 65 mph on the highway. I coukd do without the eco mode, but do manually shift frequently and keep it in 6 Manual on the highway.

Let us know what you get on a long trip.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had a customer come in recently who was adamant that there was something horribly wrong with her car. "I get terrible gas mileage." "I just drive around town normally." "I don't drive super fast." "You sold me a terrible car." "No way it is my fault." "You salesmen are all the same - lie to us about how much mileage we'll get...yada yada yada."

We checked out the car. Nothing apparently wrong with it. So because I was bored (or a masochist), I agreed to go for a ride with her. First thing I notice is that she hits the gas like the dude next to us is racing us for pinks. WTF? Full gas to the next light where she stands on the brakes. Next thing I notice is she uses her left foot on the brake. It just rests there all the time. You know the type - you follow them down the freeway and their brake lights are ALWAYS on. Next, I ask where she lives. Oh, up there (pointing to the top of a huge hill in town).

Now I'm thinking "how do I tell this woman she is a freakin idiot?" I explained that driving style, conditions, etc., all contribute to fuel economy. In my SUV I get 23mpg on the freeway and only abou 15 in town (I live atop a big hill too).

So Stacy, maybe it's you? It could be something with the car, but I doubt it.
This story made my day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't forget that we are now in full swing of "winter blend" gasoline. I always drop MPG during the winter: http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-blend-gasoline-whats-the-difference-13747431 Additionally, I try to stay away from any gas that has ethanol. Here in Wisconsin, premium doesn't always mean ethanol free. Mobil and Shell seem to blend their premium gas with up to 10% ethanol, which drops the MPG even more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My JX is about 4 months old. I only use premium, am a moderately aggressive driver, and I am getting 21.8 mpg. I do mostly highway driving. I do have a K&N Filter.

I did have a time where my MPG started to drop rather noticeably for no reason. It was when it all of a sudden got cold out. The PSI on my tires was lower. I raised it up to the point that it honked at me on each tire and it made a huge difference!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking of raising the PSI, how much is everyone running? I'm at 36 all around and since it's cold outside the psi only increases by 1 after the tires warm up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We just got ours on Saturday and immediately took a 300 mile trip. After reading for the past few months, I expected terrible milage for a while but was pleasantly surprised to get 19.3 MPG - and I have somewhat of a lead foot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm at 1,200 miles and so far averaging 19.7 MPG according to the on-board computer. Pretty much 50/50 of highway and street driving.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Don't forget that we are now in full swing of "winter blend" gasoline. I always drop MPG during the winter: http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-blend-gasoline-whats-the-difference-13747431 Additionally, I try to stay away from any gas that has ethanol. Here in Wisconsin, premium doesn't always mean ethanol free. Mobil and Shell seem to blend their premium gas with up to 10% ethanol, which drops the MPG even more.
It's not just the gas. There are many other factors like temperature that can affect mileage.

Strange because the shell 91 here is one of the only choices for ethanol free 91.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought I'd add to this. We picked up the car 8 days ago with 32 miles on the car and without resetting anything, we had 19.6 MPG up to today. Today I took a 100 mile trip and averaged 41 MPH and 21.4 MPH. I would say the ride was around 75% highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree with you Stacy truck guzzles my wife is a "SAFE" driver ok slow and we have tried eco,reg,sport all give us no better then 15.8 MAX. we have tired mid grade and super. we dont live on a hill but we only drive city. we have the touring package with the 20". all no luck im guessing i will try a long trip and see if it improves but i have to say my X5 with a v8 and me stepping on it all the time is getting me 18mpg!

I've had my beloved JX35 for 3-4 months now and it's awesome! Except...what's with the gas mileage? I'm getting 15mpg--not even close to the 18-21 that was promised. It's a little better with highway-only driving, of course, but not by that much. I drive around town in my suburban community 90% of the time. I'm hitting a gas station twice a week sometimes! I drive on the standard setting (the ECO setting is horribly cumbersome). My husband thinks there's something wrong with my car, so I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage do other JX owners get in suburban driving conditions?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts