Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it looks like my JX is going in for the heated steering wheel problem, I might as well bring up another issue. When I start my car, there is a nauseating sour smell that blows from the vents for about 1-2 minutes. It doesn't happen every time, but it is pretty consistent. The smell is usually gone until the next time the car sits for awhile, but sometimes I'll be driving on the road for 1/2 an hour and the smell will waft back in again. It have to crank up the the fan on high for awhile to clear it. What could be causing this? I never use the recirculate feature. I can only describe it as sour, maybe almost like an epoxy curing kind of smell. Any thoughts on what it could be? Car was built this April and has been doing it since it was brand new (has about 5k on it now).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Most likely cause is mold in the AC unit. Tell the service tech during the next visit and they can fix it.

Avoiding recirculation helps, but it can still happen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I will shoot some Lysol into the air intake and see if that clears it up. I hate bothering dealers with minor stuff I can fix myself. I've owned a lot of new cars and this is the first one to have a mold problem in the a/c, so I was a bit hesitant, but hopefully it'll be a simple fix.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Don't bother with the Lysol, you can get special AC cleaner from any auto-parts store for the intake vents. I'm not sure what Lysol will do and may be too concentrated for the inside of the car.

Keep in mind the stuff you shoot in the intake vent is only a temporary solution since it's not fixing the mold problem. It's just putting a nice smell over it. The real fix is to actually clean the mold out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to close the loop on this one (at least for now). I lowered all the windows, turned up the fan and then popped the hood and blasted lysol into the ac intake. After letting it run for awhile and then let it sit with the windows open. The next day I smelled a reduced odor so I repeated the procedure. It has been less than a week, so I hesitate to close the case, but I have not smelled anything. I'll report back when/if it reoccurs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's great news. For people that haven't really looked through the engine bay, where is the intake air vent? Is it just below the wipers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts