Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the JX paint is "soft"? It seems to scratch SUPER easily compared to my current and past cars. Most of my cars were German. Admittedly, German paints tended to be on the "hard" side. If I needed to buff a scratch out of German cars, it takes quite a bit longer. However, with the JX it seems very easy and I only have to use mild polishes. But the downside is that it seems sooooo easy to scratch through the clearcoat and into the paint.

Has anyone else noticed this as well? I must say that I would have to add this to my list of annoyances with the car. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car. But I keep these lists regardless.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can tell you this: The paint on the JX is far superior to my past 2 Lexus vehicles. Both of my Lexus' had chipped paint all over the front of the car. I've had my JX for a year and have 23k miles and not one chip of paint and very few blemishes....

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
When I took my car to Griot's Garage to take a class on detailing using their high end products, the instructor was blown away by the paint job. He thought it was an excellent paint finish and much harder than most. I was surprised that one of the vehicles with the softest paint jobs in the luxury class was the Porsche.

When I polished the JX with their random orbital machine, I found that it took more effort than I thought to remove a couple real small scratches. I was really surprised how good the paint job on my 2012 Rogue is. I actually think its one of the best I've seen on one of Nissan's vehicles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experience is different. Hardest paint I've seen from hardest to softest from the cars I've played around with are Audi, BMW, Porsche and Infiniti. The Infiniti is the softest by quite a bit with me using the same compounds. In this case, it happened to be Griots' #2 with the orange pad. I could be on Griots' #1 on the Audi, BMW and Porsche, and it would take me years (an exaggeration) and a zillion passes to get any results. One pass with the Griots' #2 got immediate results on my JX.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Welcome to Japanese cars.

I don't find Audi BMW or Porshce paints to be hard.

Domestic brands have hard paint. If you've ever tried to polish that!

The reason people think BMW and Audi have hard paint is because they don't get chips as easily.

It's actually just more paint making the paint more durable. Japanese cars I find have thin layers of paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts