Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard of a problem with the driver and passenger seat belts tightening unexpectedly, periodically - very quickly, and very uncomfortably. It seems to happen at lower rates of speed (under 15 mph) and I can't determine what causes it or even isolate it to any specific conditions as to when it occurs. The seat belts, properly adjusted and fastened, suddenly cinch back extremely tight with a loud noise (the motor obviously kicks in pulling them back to a very uncomfortable position). When it occurs (perhaps 10 times in the last couple of months), the only solution is to unfasten and fasten back. I'm assuming that it is tied into the braking system that would engage during a collision. I've taken it to the Infiniti dealership a couple of times and they are "looking into it." They need me to recreate the problem; but, it's difficult to do as it only happens once in awhile.

It would be great to hear of anyone else experiencing the same problem. It happens whether I have a front passenger or not, and with different sized people in the passenger seat (daughter/wife).

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
This happend all the time with our 2006 Murano. We never were able to fix the problem. My wife and I love the seatbelts in the JX. They always work perfect and the automated recoiler keeps the seat belt from hanging up when it is unbuckled. It sounds like your seatbelts are defective.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
JAM,

You must have a Deluxe Touring JX. Those are the pre-crash seatbelts. It sounds like the car is somehow thinking you're about to have an accident. That's when it cinches the belts tighter. They should relax after the system decides there's no more danger, but I haven't had a chance to really test this.

Do you drive like the Stig? This could cause the system to think you're going to crash/roll/etc. I could see it maybe happening if you tailgate and the person in front of you suddenly slows.

I've not heard of this happening in any other JX, nor in any of Infiniti's other cars with the pre-crash seatbelt system. I'd definitely stay after your service department.

I would think you could recreate the problem for them by driving really aggressively in a parking lot - but no guarantees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sinecure,
Thanks for the recommendations. As a clarification, however, it's not aggressive driving when it occurs. It occurs under 15 mph - seemingly nothing unusual. Nobody in front, no rapid acceleration, etc. It's strange.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Likewise, I love everything about the car - but this. It would seem something is defective, but until it happens again (and with an Infiniti Tech in the vehicle), the frustration may continue to occur. Thanks for the comment.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I tried to replicate the issue you are having and could not. I think your seat belt retractor or sensor is defective. My wife was the biggest critique with the Murano's problem and she couldn't replicate the problem either. I'd take it back to the service department and have them replace the unit. Does this only happen on one side? The Murano only did it on the right front passenger seat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
By any chance do you pull the seat belts out too far when buckling up and activate the reverse "racheting". I had this issue once before in another vehcile especially with rear passengers and my father in-law in the front seat. Try pulling the seat belts out far and then releasing slowly if you hear it click and cannot go forward then you've activated the locking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happens on both sides, simultaneously. I can't remember it occurring on only one side without a passenger.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Definitely sounds like something is going weird with the sensors that tell the car it is about to have an accident. That's what triggers the pre-crash seatbelts. Car thinks it is going to crash or roll over.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Definitely sounds like something is going weird with the sensors that tell the car it is about to have an accident. That's what triggers the pre-crash seatbelts. Car thinks it is going to crash or roll over.
Is this one of the components that can be re-calibrated like some of the other sensors on the vehicle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts