Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you were wondering, the roof rails and the crossbars available on the JX are painted Liquid Platinum. They are barely noticeable on my Liquid Platinum AWD. I like that stealth look as I really don't have plans to use them. I've seen them on darker colors such as black, midnight garnet and diamond slate at different dealers and they look out of place as they do not match the chrome trim around the rest of the car. IMO, black would look better for rails on a darker vehicle. I think the liquid platinum would look even worse on another lighter color such as white or glacial silver as they would just be a few shades off.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So all the roof rails are painted this liquid platinum color?
Liquid platinum on whatever main body color you have. I didn't even realize it was on our Liquid Platinum JX until I saw it on the window sticker and then looked closer to see it up on the roof.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

I took a few photos of our Liquid Platinum JX a couple of days ago. I wasn't focusing on the roof rails, but this one shows it pretty well. Up close you can see that it is the same paint as the body. You can also see the 20 inch wheels from the Deluxe Touring package.

·
Registered
42 Posts
JX35MD, do you just have the roof rails and not the cross bars? or did you get both? They look pretty tiny! at least in that shot.. At first glance, i didn't even notice that they were there! I was expecting them to be a little taller... but still looks good nonetheless, conforms with the lines of the car!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JX35MD, do you just have the roof rails and not the cross bars? or did you get both? They look pretty tiny! at least in that shot.. At first glance, i didn't even notice that they were there! I was expecting them to be a little taller... but still looks good nonetheless, conforms with the lines of the car!
That's what I was trying to say about not noticing it on Liquid Platinum since it is the same color. I did not get the crossbars as I do not have any desire to use them at this time. I purchased a car off the lot that had everything that I wanted and this was an extra that I did not really want, but had to take. I didn't want to order and wait for what seems to be an ever extending amount of time according to some of the other threads. The cargo hold is large enough for my skis, so I don't think I'll ever use the rails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the roof rack on my Diamond Slate (dark gray) body color and they look blend in fine to me. The 'silver' like color of the roof rack do look similar enough to match the chrome trims around the body in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In case you were wondering, the roof rails and the crossbars available on the JX are painted Liquid Platinum. They are barely noticeable on my Liquid Platinum AWD. I like that stealth look as I really don't have plans to use them. I've seen them on darker colors such as black, midnight garnet and diamond slate at different dealers and they look out of place as they do not match the chrome trim around the rest of the car. IMO, black would look better for rails on a darker vehicle. I think the liquid platinum would look even worse on another lighter color such as white or glacial silver as they would just be a few shades off. View attachment 45

Thanks for posting this. I was completely under the impression that if I ordered the roof rails from the factory that they would match the paint of the car. Now I'm wondering if I should order the roof rails with a black JX or wait for other solutions (Thule, Yakima, etc.). Someone pointed out that the Nissan Pathfinder roof rails should work but can anyone be 100% certain that they will fit properly?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I was completely under the impression that if I ordered the roof rails from the factory that they would match the paint of the car. Now I'm wondering if I should order the roof rails with a black JX or wait for other solutions (Thule, Yakima, etc.). Someone pointed out that the Nissan Pathfinder roof rails should work but can anyone be 100% certain that they will fit properly?
You know the "roof rails" are plastic bumps, right? In the middle of the roof line, there are some pop off plastic covers to remove to put cross bars on. But the spacing is fixed, way to close together in my opinion. If you put Yak bike trays on, they would surely buckle at the rear cross bar, only about 24" from the front. I called Yakima and Thule, neither one has anything for the car, as it will be a custom design. Lots different than just throwing some Double Cross clamps on the rails of an Outback or about any other real rack out there. That being said, I ordered roof rails on our white car just for looks. It will never have a rack on top, I also ordered a a frumpy trailer tow package to put a Thule rear carrier on. Oh well, that would have been a pretty high reach to put a bike up on anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ordered my JX with Roof Rails + Crossbars -- I take delivery tomorrow. However, I concur with gibbons in that the crossbars are pretty worthless as they are in a fixed position and too close together -- I'm really disappointed. So much so that I will reconsider the rails and crossbar. I measured my Yakima Rocketbox and it requires the crossbars to be set 34" apart on center. Currently, neither Yakima or Thule have any solutions that will fit the 2013 Infiniti JX.

Does anyone know if Yakima/Thule crossbars will fit to the Infiniti Roof Rail wherever you want to place them -- or are you committed to using the Infiniti Crossbars (which I have already deemed too close together)?

Finally, does anyone know the extent that the factory goes to in installing the Roof Rails? Would it be possible for the dealer to remove the Roof Rails so that I can go with a Yakima/Thule solution? This is definitely downgrading my excitement in taking delivery tomorrow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Jamis, I guess you will see soon enough, but the roof rails a quite literally cosmetic plastic bumps that run among the roof panel seams. Where the factory cross bars connect, there are plastic caps that pop poff to expose whatever is underneath to bolt their cross bars to. You can not attach normal yak or thule cross bars, cuz the rails are just plastic. Maybe the rack companies will come up with something that attaches where the stock cross bars go, but you would still be constrained by the silly narrow spacing. Seriously, if the stock cross bars had ski racks, my binding plates wouldn't fit between them. For an ”suv”, someone sitting in a plush design office really missed on that one!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I took some pictures of the various options for folks that are confused/wondering.

No rails or X-bars:

Rails with no cross bars:

Rails and cross bars:

Car Sky Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Sky Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Car

The roof rails have a fixed set of spots where cross bars attach. There are little plastic covers over the screw holes that you pop off to put the x-bars on. You can only attach the cross bars at this one, fixed position.

I don't know if you could clamp a third party rack to the factory rails. Looking at them, I suspect not - unless you screwed them into the mounting holes that the OEM x-bars screw into. So if you really want to have your Yakima or Thule Cross Bars, and want to be able to dictate where (fore-aft) the rack goes, your best bet may be to buy the car w/out rails and just get custom feet to mount your rack to the car directly.

Also note: If you buy a car w/out Rails right now, you won't be able to buy the rails separately for quite some time. Infiniti can't get them fast enough for the builds they want to do. So they aren't yet available from the parts department. Cross bars should currently be available from your dealer's parts department (I got a set of a client two days ago).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts