Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up our JX last night and had ordered the vehicle with roof rails. What a disappointment! I am very mad at myself for doing so sight unseen.

They are not functional unless you buy the associated cross bars as there is no way to secure anything to them. They have no open space along the base to even put a rope through.

They are plastic and have removable covers to mount the crossbars when purchased; even then, the cross bars are single position and do not adjust front to back.

So I basically bought a $370 plastic trim piece for the roof. My salesman did offer to sell me the $290 crossbars at invoice when they are available once he saw how pissed I was.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I posted a question about the roof rails on this forum back on 4/9. I ended up ordering my JX without the roof rails but have continued to wonder if I should have (still keep thinking about what I'm going to do with my Christmas tree in Dec). Thank you for sharing this information about your roof rails. Whoever designed this feature on the JX was obviously thinking of aesthetics and not function.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hm.. Good information. I already sort of knew the aftermarket options would likely offer more intuitive designs for the roof rails, it's always been that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
All of this cost cutting garbage to improve margins is starting to bother me. Put metal on the damn car and let us pay for something that is useful... I can't believe how much plastic is found in luxury cars these days. When I test drove a BMW X3, (with a sticker of $52k) I was floored at how much plastic was in the cabin. Cheap, hard plastic to boot....

·
Registered
289 Posts
can you post some photos. JX with roof rails is hard to see.

I ordered one with roof rails. may have to delete it if really useless.

Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a Thule 1800 cargo box that did wonders on my Grand Cherokee so I went ahead and ordered the rails and cross bars sight unseen when ordering my JX. Your comment about the fixed position concerns me. I hope that I didn't flush $500. Fortunately the assessories are all back ordered so I can still cancel.

Anyone here use a cargo box on their JX yet?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rails are factory installed (and not backordered).
I ordered the Rails as well and now I am wondering if I sent $300 odd down the drain..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, the rail is really hard to see. Don't like it that much!
Did you double click on each picture posted to enlarge...perhaps that's why???

At any rate take a look at the rail design on the new pathfinder. The rails are open on the bottom and will allow one to put ropes, cords etc. around them to secure things. I'm sure the nissan rails could be a direct swap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ordered roof rails and cross bars as well. Since I don't have any cargo box right now, I would be looking for recommendations on the cargo box once my JX arrives.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wow ok. That is a very useless rail... I think its only for aesthetics. You should look into getting aftermarket rails fitted on to the JX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts