Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post, I have had the jx for about 2 1/2 weeks but have been reading this forum for months. I have a moonlight white jx and don't like the silver rails and cross bars. The car is white with black trim, Chrome trims, gun metal gray wheels and sliver roof rails. Toooooooo many colors. Has anyone removed the rails? It looks like they may have a bolt or two but mainly snap on. I think there may need to be a trim piece added if you do remove. Has anyone done this?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
You do need a trim piece if you remove the rails. The rails are one long piece. I would talk with your dealer and see if they have a client who has/is/is about to buy a white JX that came from the factory w/out rails but is buying them to be added. When they remove the white trim piece from the one they're adding the rails to, they'll just be extras hanging around the dealership. It isn't a part anyone is likely to want to buy. In fact, you could maybe even work out a deal where they do the swap for free since you'll be giving them something of value in exchange for something that's pretty much an extra.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thorin78 I'll keep you in mind but I'll probably hang on to them for a little while. I took the cross bars off and I am going to see how I like the rails only for now. I did think about having them painted to match. Without cross rails I can't believe how worthless they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took mine off because I didn't use them and I figured they just were a bit more weight/drag that I didn't need. Anyway, they were a bit harder to take off than I expected, but not too bad. First, I took off the long rails by unbolting them. The bolts are hiding under the plastic covers that unsnap. I believe they are Torx bolts and if I recall correctly, once the rails were loose, I could unhook the crossbars from them. Then I just bolted the rails back down.
Maybe someone knows an easier way to do this. I thought I could unlatch the crossbars just by fooling with their lock mechanism but I had no luck with that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought you didn't have to unbolt the rails to get the crossbars off. That would just seem overly complex. But then again I don't have the crossbars and I'm still looking to buy them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You do need a trim piece if you remove the rails. The rails are one long piece. I would talk with your dealer and see if they have a client who has/is/is about to buy a white JX that came from the factory w/out rails but is buying them to be added. When they remove the white trim piece from the one they're adding the rails to, they'll just be extras hanging around the dealership. It isn't a part anyone is likely to want to buy. In fact, you could maybe even work out a deal where they do the swap for free since you'll be giving them something of value in exchange for something that's pretty much an extra.
^This

Or just paint them to match.

I think it would look nice with matching rails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts