Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the replacement oil filter (fram, mobil 1, etc) that cross references to the nissan oil filter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. And yes, as far as costs...depends on brand/type you buy. Typically you can find bundled oil (full synthetic) and filter on sale for around $30.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Would it make any difference if I go with K&N? I know they make really good filters or the marketing got to me haha but are OEM spec filters fine or am I doing something worth while by going with K&N?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Would it make any difference if I go with K&N? I know they make really good filters or the marketing got to me haha but are OEM spec filters fine or am I doing something worth while by going with K&N?
I don't think K&N makes oil filters.

Kanin247 - do you change your own oil to save money, enjoy it, proximity to dealership? I switch back and forth every few years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
K&n makes oil filters but they're about $15 ea. Not worth buying unless they're bunded with the oil which happens every so often. Otherwise as long as you change your oil filter each time you change oil then your normal brand oil filter (fram, mobil1, bosch, purolator) will do.

I change my oil because i know its done right, plus my dad taught me the basics of car maintenance when I was young and it stuck. And it's also a simple task that takes less than 30 mins and saves money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Run a K&N air filter. The K&N oil filter is good if you plan to run fully synthetic oil that is changed every 10k miles. With Mobil 1 full synthetic and oil analysis at 5000 miles on my Audi, the lab mentioned that I could probably change oil every 7500 - 10000 miles (depending on your driving conditions). Fork out extra money for an OEM infiniti/nissan (murano?) or better than orange fram oil filter if you change oil after 5000 miles. If you change oil every 3333 miles, then the oil filter won't really matter because you change it so often- don't waste $15 on an oil filter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fram oil filters are some of the cheapest and worst oil filters to this date.. i would never keep using fram, but oil life is also depdning how hard you drive the car as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Newbie question So does the Jx require synthetic motor oil or is it up to the owner? Any idea how much an oil change cost at the Infiniti dealership regular/ synthetic motor oil?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I maintain our Volvo XC70, Subaru Outback, Ford F250, Chevelle, and MasterCraft boat. That includes oil, filters, brake rotors/pads, etc. When it's time, I also do wheel bearings, struts and shocks, and stuff like that. I have pulled the motor and transmission multiple times from the Chevelle. I have a 4 post car lift in my garage that can raise my cars about 6' to work on them. That doesn't make me an expert, but I do read a good bit of car stuff.

I use Mobile 1 in everything. I buy 5 qt jugs at WalMart for about $25. I use $8 Wix filters, which are generally considered to be the best. You can get them at NAPA, labeled as NAPA parts. No motor-head guys use the "orange filters", which are considered to be inferior.

Oh, yeah, it's good practice to use conventional "dino" (dinosaur, as the motorheads call it) oil for the first 10K miles. It's not as slippery, and allows the rings to "seat" better in the cylinder walls. If you look in the cylinders of a new engine, you see a cross-hatched hone pattern they use as a final finish. It's a little rough, which wears the rings so that they wear together for a perfect fit. If you use synthetic, which is super slick, the hone roughness gets glided over instead of allowing the crucial wearing. After a period of time, the roughness gets "glazed", which is work hardening. After that, the rings can't wear any more, and you can end up with low compression from ring blow by because the two don't fit. There are opposing theories on this, but trust me, nearly all real motorheads, guys who build engines and see what's going on, subscribe to this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts