Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the available accessories and the Remote Engine Starter option looks interesting.

http://www.infiniti.ca/vehicles/accessories/en/accessories.aspx?group=JX&series=X

At $383.95 installed, it looked like a good deal BUT when I called 3 local dealerships, I got different prices (all more than $383.95)

One dealer said "$500"... another said "$359 parts, $64 labour" and the last said "$329 parts and $118 labour".
Any Canadians on this forum have this installed?

The ad's fine print says based on installation rate of $108/hr.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think you can just order two new keyfobs that have the remote start button on them. Get a dealer to program them to your car and voila, remote start. Use the metal keys you already have so you won't have to pay for those to be re-cut. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure, but I think you can just order two new keyfobs that have the remote start button on them. Get a dealer to program them to your car and voila, remote start. Use the metal keys you already have so you won't have to pay for those to be re-cut. I could be wrong.

Yes, that's what the accessory is - 2 new remotes and the dealer's labour to reprogram. The two new remotes have the extra button for remote start as pictured.

I guess my question sould have read "Any Canadians buy this accessory" :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thats a lot for labour. You guys might be better off going to a shop that specializes in high end Japanese vehicles.

But going to the dealership might make you feel better about the job being done on your car, might be worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's something the have to enable in the computer - not like aftermarket remote starters where they have to splice into existing cables.

I'm thinking most aftermarket shops wouldn't have access to the tools to enable....

I'm told all JX's have remote start capability - you just need to swap remotes and have the new keys enabled.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
It's something the have to enable in the computer - not like aftermarket remote starters where they have to splice into existing cables.

I'm told all JX's have remote start capability - you just need to swap remotes and have the new keys enabled.
I'm pretty sure this is the case. If you end up buying the remotes from eBay or something, you might wait until your next service and see if you can talk the service adviser into programming the keys for you at no charge. It's worth asking. It does take some work from a tech, but it isn't a huge deal. And you can use the key blanks (the metal keys) that you already have so they don't need to re-cut those. And then you can sell your current remotes to someone else on eBay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a JX in the future here in Canada. I thought if you got the Driver Assistance Package / Tech Package it came with the remote engine starter already? Is that not the case? do you still need to get this accessory as well?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No -- the remote start is part of the Driver Assistance Package -- you should received two key-fobs that can start the engine remotely.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Has anyone purchased a remote start keyfob off ebay or other site and it works? I have a client asking about a cheap alternative to the parts department and thought I'd check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is interesting to know that all JX's has the capability for the remote start. I would be nice to be able to start one with your smart phone like other after market companies offer. It has been a nice feature especially today!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think in the immediate future luxury cars will start to implement the start with your cellphone idea. I remember seeing it on a few cars released this year. I would for sure love that feature.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree cfrp, I also think it could just be a simple programming function. Since with Infiniti connect, I believe like onstar, they can unlock/lock your door for you, I cant see why they can't start it for you either. It would actually make the Infiniti Connect option worth while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone buy a non-infiniti keyfob and had a dealer enable the remote start? If I buy a new keyfob can the dealer program it and activate it or do i need the complete remote start kit. i live in connecticut, so i'm wondering if anyone done that in states.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think you need to get the Infiniti keyfob. I don't think a dealership would agree to program a unbranded keyfob, Some dealerships don't even program keyfobs unless you buy it from them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So if I buy the Infiniti keyfob from ebay and they can program it? Don't I need the remote start system installed? I only have the premium package

1 - 20 of 21 Posts