Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this issue? From time to time there seems to be a rattle coming from the passenger side rear door area. Weird though, I don't think it's anything inside the door. Everytime I drive by a big semi-truck on the highway the rattle will get loud and when I'm done passing the semi, the rattle will either disappear completely or get quiet enough that you can barely hear it. It seems to be wind related. If the wind gusts are high and coming at us from the side, it will rattle. Makes me think there something vibrating underneath the car on the outside.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, what did you find. I'm about to get under the car and see if I can tell what the source of the rattle is.

So far, love the JX!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I heard a loud rattle in the rear passenger door as well! After some investigation, I removed my daughter's hairbrush from the door storage bin and I fixed it!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have also experienced a rattling noise at 70+ mph when there were strong crosswinds across the highway. This happened this weekend while driving south from Colorado Springs on I-25. The winds across the highway were very strong (wind was hitting us from the passenger side). When we would pass a semi (semi was on the passenger side), the noise would go away. When we would go under an overpass, the noise would go away, and when we would drop below 70mph, the noise would go away. Once we were out of the crosswinds, it stopped. We have 5K miles on the JX and this was the first time this happened. I captured an audio recording of the noise to take with me to the dealership. I hope the source of the noise can be found as it is very noticeable and annoying. Enjoying the JX otherwise, but this is not what I expect from a $50K Infiniti. FYI. We averaged ~22MPG on a 1500+ mile round trip between Texas and Colorado (near sea level to the top of Pikes Peak). The trip was done at posted speed limits averaging 70-75 mph and included a week of city driving in and around Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I found the problem! There's a piece of (sheet) metal bolted under the car, I guess covering something up. Anyway, from what I can tell, crosswinds were causing it to vibrate and rattle. I merely just bent it a little and so far, no more rattle. I went and tested on the freeway and so far so good!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Snapaniac, I just looked under our JX and saw a long heat shield above the muffler/exhaust system. Some of this shield appears to protrude down below the bottom of the vehicle (in other words, it might be affected by crosswinds under the vehicle). This is quite a large piece of metal. Does this sound like the sheetmetal you are referring to? If so, where did you bend it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a piece of metal (heatshield makes sense)... yes, those are sticking down a little, but actually look closer to the rear passenger door for another heatsheild (?)... it's bolted flat against the underneath body near closer to the door. That's the one I bent a little... when I pressed up on it, it made the noise.

When I get home from work, I'll take a photo of it so you can tell

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, please post pics. Also, have you reported this to Infiniti so their engineers can chime in?

There's a piece of metal (heatshield makes sense)... yes, those are sticking down a little, but actually look closer to the rear passenger door for another heatsheild (?)... it's bolted flat against the underneath body near closer to the door. That's the one I bent a little... when I pressed up on it, it made the noise.

When I get home from work, I'll take a photo of it so you can tell

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I have had my JX since August and this exact same thing is happening to me. Would anyone be able to post a picture of the problem area. Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had two issues that could have caused a vibration or rattle at different speeds or rpm of engine. One was the chrome strip on the lower part of the doors was loose and lifting up. This could have caused a wind related noise but I never heard one. The other was a bad weld on a muffler bracket. This one caused a humming noise at different rpm levels when the exhaust system was hot after 10 pluse miles of driving. Both were corrected at dealership with no problems since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing here - rattle during high cross winds on a highway and while passing trucks. Hopefully my video makes it through here.

Time to visit the dealer.

Peter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same issue. Found the hard plastic mud guard loose - one of the plastic rivets had come loose. After a quick retighten the sound disappeared.

My take away is that the sound really appears to be coming from the rear passenger door itself. But after reading this thread and upon further investigation it was radiating from the mud flap..

Hope this helps.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts