Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, and so glad I found it as I have some questions for current owners.

In the way of background, my husband and I are deciding between a JX and an RX350. We are coming over from a GMC Acadia, after having transmission issue before 90,000 miles. So now we're getting rid of the Acadia in favor of something more reliable. Our Acadia was one of the first Acadia's off the line, and I am a bit gun-shy of buying another car that is from the first year of production. I know all car companies are not created equal, but think that's still a pretty valid concern. We'd like to get rid of the Acadia in the next couple of months, so waiting for the 2014 JX isn't an option at the moment.

All that being said, we really liked the JX when we drove it, and feel like it suits our needs well. The RX is also very nice, but has less cargo space, and I hate the mouse that's build into the center console.

Here's how I use the car on a regular basis:
  • Everyday around town car
  • Need space for a car seat in the second row (only plan to ever have one child -- in the next year or so)
  • Third row will pretty much always be down and needs to hold a dog crate for a 65 lb dog (crate fits both JX and RX350, we checked)
  • Needs to be manageable in parking garages (DC and NYC, so some tight spaces!)

So questions for current owners:
1. Do you notice the CVT? I didn't during our test drive, but am wondering if I missed something. I may also just be use to my Acadia transmission, so even a horse and buggy would feel responsive by comparison.

2. How are Nissan's CVT? Any issues?

3. Cargo space -- anyone put their dog in the back? Anyone using crates? If so, what type? Does a crate totally block visibility out the rear window?

4. Reliability -- Anyone having any issues with their cars? Certain systems? Info of your past history with Infiniti is welcome. (A few of my family members have them, and love them, and have never had anything but regular upkeep needed.)

5. What options would you get/not get if you were buying your JX again today?

6. Any blind spot issues? I love the tech help this car provides, but feel like the blind spots were a bit bigger than I expected. Obviously, the intervention systems help, but I'd also like to be confident that they are a fail safe, rather than needed to drive without incident.

Any other information you think might be useful is welcome.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
We've owned a lot of new cars and drove new vehicles when working. I found that the GM products, Fords all had transmissions at around 90K miles. Therefore, no more American cars. We've owned 7 Nissan products two of which hit 300K miles. Had a 2006 Murano and loved it. The JX is based on the Murano.

1. I'm used to the CVT and really like the JX CVT. its quiet and smooth, plus you can manually shift it which gives you a lot of control. The car has more than enough power and gets good milage on the highway.

2. Now issues with the CVT in the Murano, 2012 Rogue, and haven't had issues with the JX. The new Pathfinder CVT is a bit different and has more towing capacity, but no manual shifting.

3. There is plenty of cargo space and we can get a couple mid sized crates in the back, or fold down all seats and get a few more in. We usually leave the rear row seats down and use the cargo cover and net. Although we had more room in are Armada, its much easier to load the JX since its not as tall.

4. No real problems with reliability and the recalls have been taken care of with minimal down time. Infiniti provides free loaners. Check out this forum for issues. Just about everything has been documented and many of the first issues have been addressed. The engine has been around for some time and is one of Nissan's best.

5. Our vehicle is fully loaded and after driving it since June, I wouldn't want anything less. The electronic nannys will spoil you. A fully loaded Pathfinder Platnum runs about 10 to 15 grand less but you won't get the real nice features like back up collision avoidance, lane departure intervention and warning, intellegent cruise, etc,

6. Yes there are blind spots, but I'm finding that with the blind spot avoidance and intervention system, and all the cameras, I don't worry about them at all. This is a big vehicle, but it is easy to park with all the camera systems, laser and sonar detectors. What I like most is when parking, I find the vehicle icon with cameras and seeing where the front wheels are turning, it makes parking a piece of cake. Ou Rogue has similar cameras but you really have to pay attention since it doesn't have the extra bells and whistles.

Overall, this is my all time favorite car. I would have considered the Pathfinder if it came out sooner, but am really glad we went with the JX. I recommend you take a long test ride in a fully loaded and stripped JX and Pathfinder to see the differences.

Good luck with your shopping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, BobOB. We actually drove the PF, but didn't love it, like we did the JX. Can't quite put my finger on why, except to say that we drove it after the JX. :)

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Thanks, BobOB. We actually drove the PF, but didn't love it, like we did the JX. Can't quite put my finger on why, except to say that we drove it after the JX. :)
I think because Nissan is trying to please its customers with a vehicle that can tow 5,000 lbs and still get good fuel milage, they have done a real nice job with the Pathfinder. When we were in the market for the 2010 Armada, we looked at the Infiniti QX and didn't see many differences for the comparable 10,000 difference. With the JX we can see the quality differences. It is a quiet vehicle and most of all very comfortable. Having all the technological advances in this car and not seeing the most important ones on the Pathfinder, we would really feel buyer's remorse knowing what differences there are between the vehicles.

When we started our search, we did want a luxury vehicle and had a 2001 Mercedes M Class. After looking at the 2012 M Class, BMW X5, Audi and Lexus, we felt for what you got for your money, the JX was a good value and I still think it is under priced comparing to the other vehicles. I love Toyota and Lexus, but never found one that I fit comfortably in with the exception of the Lexus sedans. With dogs, that wasn't an option.

I don't like to push my opinion on others because each person has their own likes and dislikes. What really pushed me towards the JX was reviewing all the main automotive magazines and blogs regarding the luxury vehicles mentioned. Even though the JX wasn't out yet, I could tell a lot about quality, longevity and maintenance issues with previous years models. Also, I watched every YouTube video for the same vehicles and when the JX arrived, it met our expectations and budget. As mentioned before, so far no regrets.

One more thing I found important was this forum. Many of the vehicles have forums, but this one is very active and we are getting lots of good feedback and even seeing negative issues and things to watch for.

We did take the JX on a 2,000 mile road trip from Washington to the California coast and I was blown away at how well the car performed with four adults and a full load. I usually get tired when driving trips this long, but this is the first time I actually didn't mind the drive. I was aware that some of the professional reviews complained about body roll and soft steering, but when I hit the really windy roads at speeds from 25 to 55 mph, the car did not disappoint me at all.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Haha, you made the mistake of test driving the JX35 BEFORE the Pathfinder. Had you just gone in the Pathfinder you would have LOVED IT! But when comparing it to the JX, it is like you are in another world. Motor Trend also noted how much quieter the JX is their SUV of the year comparo.

I love my JX, I opted to go without the Tech pkg because of the increased headroom in the 2nd and 3rd rows without the panoramic roof. Also, 99% of the time it is my two boys in their child seats in the 2nd row, so I didn't need the 2nd row heated. I also prefer the 20" polished forged rims over the 20" option that is included with the Deluxe Touring or Tech Package. Like Bob, I am coming from a 2010 Armada, which had tons of space, and I love space. That is one thing that sold me on the JX is the amount cabin "space". Lots of leg room, lots of shoulder room, and I don't feel cramped. Gas mileage for a vehicle this size is fabulous. I have mine with roof rack and crossbars, and also the tow package, so if I need to haul a ton of stuff, I will use my trailer.

Like you mentioned, you are going to keep the 3rd row down, which is the same thing for me, I pop the seats up if we have company riding along (it is nice that the 3rd row also reclines). If you test drove the JX and the third row was up, that would certainly cut down your vision out the back window, and FYI, the headrests on the 3rd row are removable, as they are in the 2nd row as well. If you rarely have passengers in the 2nd row, you may want to pull those out for increased rear vision, but I really enjoy having the BSW and the other tech features! There is so much more space in the JX than the RX, no comparing the two in terms of space and room in my book!

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh, and I personally have had several Nissan models (dating back to an '03 Murano) with the CVT, and I never had a single issue!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, mmmits23. I appreciate both of you replying. There really is no substitute for first-hand experience, even if I have read every review on the planet.

I talked to my husband, and we're going to go do a longer test drive in the PF this weekend, really kick the tire, and walk through all the options that are important to us. We have a feeling we'll still come back to the JX, but at least then we'll feel like we really gave the PF a chance. And, hey, who knows maybe it will work out for us... (although I am not sure the PF can match the comfort of the JX, and since I put about 20k miles on each year, I want some of those creature comforts.)

Also, another question -- can you play movies from your iPod/iphone/iPad on the screens in the second row? We don't own any DVDs, and I am not sure we'd need a theater package if it only plays DVDs, but we might if we can play things from the iDevices.

And, you mentioned losing head room with the panoramic sun roof -- how many inches do you lose? Would that be the case if I just got a sun roof in the driver's cabin?

·
Registered
248 Posts
When Car and Driver made that statement about how much quieter the JX is, did they have a Db meter and drive the two on the same roads at the same speeds? I think the fact that it's an Infiniti and it's noted as having the traditional Infiniti extra sound insulation may have infuenced their subjective statement. When I drove JXs, I heard the CVT rumble over wind and tire noise. I found it a little bothersome. In our Pathfinder, the transmission is silent. You can hear the metal music (exhaust, pistons and valve train) when accelerating, but at speed, it's just some tire noise and wind noise. I'm subjectively shocked at how quiet it is, I need to take my Db meter in the PF and our Volvo to do a comparison. It would be unethical to take a dealer's JX for "test drive" to check compared to the PF.

It's not the first time a car journal or website has published questionable information, some still say the JX has real wood trim. So when the brochure says it has Kasane Washi trim, do the "experts" also believe the grey stuff is actually real layered bleached hemp leaf oragami paper??? Take what they publish with a grain of salt, and decide through personal study, discovery, and test drives.

Don't get me wrong, I like JXs and they are a great pick. A Pathfinder just happened to work better for us because I like the new generation transmission, full time 4x4 mode, and more conservative styling. Price was NOT a factor for us. The only thing I wish it has is blind spot detection (but not blind spot intervention!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi 24Feet,

We bought our jx in August to replace my wife's Honda odyssey. The odyssey was a great minivan (2011) but my wife wanted something else than a minivan so we were back in the buying market. We have 3 kids (2,4 and 5) so we needed a truck that would allow Three child seats. My oldest is now in a booster but the width is pretty similar. The 3 seats fit well in the second row of the jx but we have narrow seats (sunshine). I think normal child seat would probably not fit as well. We never use the third row. My oldest son was sitting there at first but it was a bit of a hassle to get there and since we have the theatre package, he wanted to be behind the tv.

I have a 75lbs golden retriever and there is plenty of space for him in the back. He is getting old so sometimes I need to help him jumping in the jx.

I drive an Audi q5 and although three child seats also for in there, there is not as much leg room as the jx. I actually need to position my seat a bit further than I would like when the kids are with me. This is not an issue with the jx where they can't reach my seat even if they extend their legs.

Regarding the cvt transmission, I actually love it. It is smooth and I am always surprised by how well it moves the jx. Not a sport car in any ways but still decent acceleration. Quite surprised and pleased actually.

Only thing I don't like about my Jx are rattles. After two visits they haven't been able to fully eliminate rattles in the centre console. This weekend temperature went below -14c here in Quebec and I noticed rattle on the window roof (don't know the English name for that). After a quick look, I noticed that some of the rubber was completely loose on the left side of the panel where it was attached on the right side, so clearly something wrong in there.

I didn't have major problems with the car but just minor ones as the above. I still think this is a great buy but since we are not using the third row, I think we should have tried the Acura mdx just co compare. And if it wasn't because of the fact that the Audi q7 will likely get a much needed facelift next year, I think we would have stayed in the Audi family.

Electronic is amazing in the jx. Cameras are awesome, navigation is pretty good and I like the fact that I can put all the kids movies on an USB stick and play them in the truck. Wife and kids really love the car. Whenever we are all the family together, there is no hesitation about which car we use, the jx always win.

Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
193 Posts
YES, you CAN play movies via iPhone or iPod. You just need to get the AV cable that plugs into your iPhone and you then plug it into the AV jack located in the center console or at the rear console. Works great, I have some movies on my phone for our boys, and we also use a lot of DVD's. There is also a way to "override" the system so even if you don't have the Theater package, you can watch movies on your front Nav screen, even while the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When Car and Driver made that statement about how much quieter the JX is, did they have a Db meter and drive the two on the same roads at the same speeds? I think the fact that it's an Infiniti and it's noted as having the traditional Infiniti extra sound insulation may have infuenced their subjective statement. When I drove JXs, I heard the CVT rumble over wind and tire noise. I found it a little bothersome. In our Pathfinder, the transmission is silent. You can hear the metal music (exhaust, pistons and valve train) when accelerating, but at speed, it's just some tire noise and wind noise. I'm subjectively shocked at how quiet it is, I need to take my Db meter in the PF and our Volvo to do a comparison. It would be unethical to take a dealer's JX for "test drive" to check compared to the PF.

It's not the first time a car journal or website has published questionable information, some still say the JX has real wood trim. So when the brochure says it has Kasane Washi trim, do the "experts" also believe the grey stuff is actually real layered bleached hemp leaf oragami paper??? Take what they publish with a grain of salt, and decide through personal study, discovery, and test drives.

Don't get me wrong, I like JXs and they are a great pick. A Pathfinder just happened to work better for us because I like the new generation transmission, full time 4x4 mode, and more conservative styling. Price was NOT a factor for us. The only thing I wish it has is blind spot detection (but not blind spot intervention!).
It was Motor Trend that mentioned this on the SUV of the year comparison. Pathfinder is an awesome vehicle, especially for the price. With that being said, the interior on the JX is clearly more muted than the Pathfinder.

Motor Trend clearly stated this, it is very obvious to them. Also, I was reading Automobile magazine last night. The had a section on the "worst & best performers" in many different categories. One of the categories was cabin sound at 70mph as rated in decibels. Infiniti JX, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Audi A6 3.0t, Chevy Malibu Eco were all tied for quietest production vehicle on the planet! That is crazy! (BTW, loudest was a Lamborghini Aventador) I was impressed, but I will tell you, Infiniti did a fantastic job with isolating the outside sounds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My JX is a later build model, I know mine came off of production the very end of July. I have not had any rattles or issue as of yet. I have yet to experience any close to zero degree temperatures which is usually when you will notice a rattle, when it is really cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We like our JX overall. We bought one of the first ones. It's a great 7 pax luxury vehicle that's not too big like the QX; we've owned a '11 QX56 before the JX. Having said this, if you don't care for the "badge" I'd save a few grand and go with a loaded Pathfinder. If you want a little more luxury, then spring for the JX.
As for reliability, it has 2 recalls for the fuel gauge error and fuel tank lines. At about 10,000 miles, our transmissions (CVT) was leaking fluid. The dealer swapped out the transfer case. We'll see how that goes. I guess it's just part of growing pains.
After all this, we still like the JX35. There are too many true 7 pax luxury out there with a useable 3rd row seat. We've owned a couple Mercedes GLs and they were nice, except for their reliability; maybe it's just out luck :) Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! did you get you car yet??

1. This is my first infiniti/nissan so my first experience with the CVT. I like it. its very smooth

2. No issues, had the car since Aug

3. Cargo space -- anyone put their dog in the back? Anyone using crates? If so, what type? Does a crate totally block visibility out the rear window?

Yes - I got the car to have more room for my +70 lb Doberman. I love how there is AC vents in the back so he can get air. I dont have crate, but I do have up a dog fence thing that hooks onto the headrest. The fence doesn't block the view, BUT the headrest Block Everything!!

4. Reliability -- my first nissan/infiniti, so can't really say, I've had toyota's before.

5. What options would you get/not get if you were buying your JX again today?
I got the basic + premium which i love. at first i didn't think i'd need the navigation but its awesome! that should be a definite must have.

6. Any blind spot issues? I thought about the blind spot assistant, BUT the car's side windows are really great, you see everything and I haven't had any issues with blind spots. I used to have a Toyota Rav 4 which had horrible blind spots, and since the JX is bigger i thought it would be worse, but, being a pretty bad driver, I'm quite surprised at how little the blind spots are in the JX.

7: extra:

-The only blind spot I have an issue with, is shorter cars Behind me. But thats mainly cus the headrests block everything.

-Putting a dog in the back, IF they have a chewing issue - say goodbye to your 3rd row-seat belts, find a way to protect them. My dog destroyed both 3rd row seat belts in minutes. :( I wish the selt belts would retract instead of just hang there.

-for a dog - even though there is alot of room, if you dog is tall (like mine) if he stands he blocks the whole view,-the height clearance of the car is rather short compared to a 4-runner or even my small Rav 4, where my dog could stand and he wouldn't block my view.

-I'm not a good driver, but I haven't had any issues Driving the car, but I'm terrible at Parking the car! even with all the cameras and such that do help a lot, I really suck. I know its a driver issue, not really a car issue, hah!

-overall this car is super comfortable and has alot of room with the durability of an SVU with luxury.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts