Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of buying a JX35 AWD and I'm not exactly sold on the $5K Premium Package. That seems an awful lot for essentially navigation and some unnecessary bells and whistles (surround cameras, bluetooth audio, etc.). I also have no need for the other packages.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

I will probably own the vehicle for 5-7 years and the nav. will almost certainly be outdated by that time anyway.

If it sounds like I'm trying to justify not spending the $5K, that's because I am.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
You're not wrong, don't buy the package.

Do you really need navigation? no not really. Did you read the thread about not being able to actually use the navigation at above 10mph? You would have spent the extra $5k to use it only at less than 10mph, there's that other 140mph that you couldn't use it for. For the past hundreds of years, people have gotten places by using maps. Yes it's convenient to have a little arrow and a ding telling you that you have to turn left or right, but you could just remember how to get there. I think Columbus was using Apple maps and that's how he found India. But I used to print out mapblast directions before google got really good and it was bought out by Microsoft. You could get one of those Garmin's or TomToms or use a cellphone for directions. But those screens aren't integrated into the 8" screen already in the car.

No need for the bluetooth streaming audio either. It's something that I always use because I don't want to pay XM radio a monthly fee to listen to advertisements. But it's got a DVD player that can play CDs. I also listen to NPR which is on normal radio, but I need to change stations up or down depending on which city I'm in. That's a slight hassle, but I don't often travel long distances.

NavTraffic and Navweather is really not worth the price. Definitely not Navweather. I have a cellphone for that. Navtraffic is kinda useful because the navigation should(?) redirect me to another faster route. And my state doesn't allow me to use my phone while I'm driving. But if you have a Garmin or TomTom those may also have those services. But then there's that cord to plug into the center console.

The Aroundview monitor only works below 10mph, there's another 140mph where it doesn't work at all. Aside from seeing what's around you at low speeds, you can't watch what's in front on the screen while driving. Lame. The moving object detection has stopped me from backing up into another moving object certainly. I'm sure the other guy would've honked totally.

I never liked Bose stuff anyways.

The car rides high enough that you probably don't need the rear view mirror to dim anyways. And the homelink buttons don't light up so it's really hard to tell at night which button you're pushing. Sometimes it opens the other door. The garage door remote just clips onto the window shades anyways.

I'm the only driving the car, so not really necessary to have the extra key for the car to remember car seat position, steering wheel position or last radio station used and all that stuff.

I've always been jealous of the cars w/ the power folding outside mirrors, but the car doesn't auto fold them when I put it to park or turn it off. I have to do it myself. What a hassle for me to remember to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have every package on our JX and we love pretty much everything that the vehicle has. As far as the premium package, it's important to remember that these are "premium" features that no one really needs.

NAVIGATION: I like a big screen and don't like things stuck to the dash or windshield. Very user friendly especially compared to Audi's. Definitely far more expensive to update maps compared to Garmin's with their lifetime map updates. You just have to decide if you're OK with a smaller screen.
VOICE RECOGNITION: I admittedly only use it for navigation but works well if you know the address.
NAV TRAFFIC: Only $4-5 a month so we kept it.
NAV WEATHER: Have an Android phone so don't need it.
ZAGAT: Have never used. Usually go with Yelp or TripAdvisor.
INFINITI CONNECTION: My wife has used it a few times. Very cool. One time her phone froze so she had Inifniti Connection call me to give me a message. Don't know if we'll keep it after a year.
AROUND VIEW MONITOR: This is one of the best features of the vehicle. It makes parking a breeze. The JX is not a small vehicle. It is only one foot shorter than a Nissan Armada (our previous vehicle) but with the monitor, three point parking is a piece of cake.
BOSE: Don't know what a non-Bose JX sounds like but my G37 convertible has the Bose system. When I get a loaner G37 without Bose, there is a huge difference. Bose system definitely makes a difference.
STREAMING AUDIO: I download music to my cell phone so being able to stream music via Bluetooth is nice.
DUAL OCCUPANT MEMORY: Not needed if you only have one driver but very nice to have when you have two drivers.
ENTRY/EXIT ASSIST: Seats move back when you get in, move forward once you close the door or start the engine. Nice if you're tall I suppose.
ENHANCED INTELLIGENT KEY: Have no idea how this works. Will have to read up on it.
REVERSE TILT OUTSIDE MIRRORS: Have never used it because of the overhead view.
2 WAY DRIVER'S LUMBAR SUPPORT: Works fine.
AUTO DIMMING MIRROR WITH HOMELINK: I like the auto dimming feature. We have 3 car garage so being able to open any door is a nice luxury to have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Absolutely worth it. The Around view monitor is great. The NAV is well executed. If you have a garage door or neighborhood gate, homelink is a must. This is a $50,000 vehicle. Equip it like one.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I purchased the JX fully loaded for several reasons even though some of the features are seldom used. I wanted a luxury car with as much technology and creature comforts that were available. My wife and I over the years purchased many new vehicles that were not fully loaded and ended up regretting not having certain features. We usually ended up with after market items that worked, but weren't optimal and had to pay out of pocket rather than having them financed in. The price difference wasn't that much more so we splurged.

I use the navigation extensively and love using the Infiniti Connection to have them download routes to the navigation while I'm driving. It has come in real handy several times already. Once for a freeway shoot-out and once for a major accident. The operator at the Infiniti Connection was able to find good routes, quickly.

I could do without the Nav Weather. Its pretty lean and doesn't cover anything closer than a major metro region. Nav Traffic is great and I'd hate to do without it. We have the Entertainment package, and use it infrequently, although its nice when you are waiting for someone at the airport cell phone lot when their flight is delayed...at least you can watch a movie. I find the camera system to be very useful, especially when you are parking in tight places. This is a big car, and that technology makes parking a breeze. Thorin78 brings up some excellent points.

I recommend that you drive a stripped and fully loaded model and spend some time playing with all the features and my moto is, buy as much car as you can afford and enjoy, especially if you are going to own it for a long time. See how much the dealership is willing to give you too. You just might get a good deal especially if they have a bunch of them sitting on the lot. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The best 'value' is with the base model. That's the model I originally ordered. I ended up upgrading to Premium when Infiniti lost my car and although I like all of the Premium features, I'm still not sure it's worth the 5k.

Around View Monitor - this is the only feature I thought would come in handy - Especially since my wife would be driving it. It works very well.
Navigation - nice to have it integrated. However, if you have a good smartphone, that's probably a better option. We barely use NAV anyways.
Bose Sound - The basic sounds system is very... basic. Bose speakers sound pretty good in the JX.
Auto-dimming mirror. Looks like an afterthought - Infiniti must have called Gentec and said "hey, u got a auto-dim mirror I can install in our new JX". Even the wire is dangling off the back (looks almost as bad as my friend's ford auto-dim mirror)

Most of the other Premium features aren't much value to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the premium,theater, drivers assist package on my wife's JX and love them, but imho, if you are not interested in the advanced safety features (bci ect.)and looking for the best bang for your buck, I would consider a fully loaded pathfinder platinum premium which would give you most of the features at below the cost of the JX awd when negotiated. If you did choose the premium package JX, I am sure you can add it on below the 5k because dealers can always discount the loaded models and not the base. Might also help with resale down the line when people expect certain features in a vehicle they are buying.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have all the packages and debated heavily on them with the wife! LOVE them all! Great purchase on our JX. Get them and you will agree!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Driver Assist, Premium and Theater. Long trips have been a pleasure, kids like the theatre and my wife loves the smart phone hook up and nav. ect...

But most of all the Driver Assist has saved my wife from a collision with a Brinks truck in a parking lot. I consider that it paid for itsellf right there...

We use everything we got and the Driver Assist was a bonus..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses and I will weigh them in relation to the prices I can negotiate. I was quoted $49,XXX for the PP AWD model (and a few other negligible options) and $44,XXX for the base AWD model.

If I can get the PP model down to $45K, I may take the leap...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Can you even buy one without Premium? I don't think so.

If you want the car in a truly base model, go get a Pathfinder.

Thorin basically expressed my feelings. In a slightly less snarky way than I would have put it.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I agree with Sinecure, and like Gibbons found, the Pathfinder Platinum may be the right car for you, but if you want to be spoiled by luxury, a fully loaded JX is a great ride. Another plus (at least here in my neck of the woods), the customer service at the Infiniti dealership is hard to beat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my mind, the premium package and the driver's assist packages are a must. Otherwise, I agree with BobOB and Sinecure and potentially the Pathfinder might be the right vehicle for you. The details of the premium package have been discussed, but as time goes on and every car has the abilities of the premium package, in a couple of years (if not immediately) you will be wishing you had incorporated the around view camera, the bluetooth audio, and other features in the premium package....I would suggest that you strongly look at the driver's assist package as well....Wasn't sure I needed it, but wanted it and am now (after only 2 months) extremely glad I went for it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you even buy one without Premium? I don't think so.

If you want the car in a truly base model, go get a Pathfinder.

Thorin basically expressed my feelings. In a slightly less snarky way than I would have put it.
Yes, you can buy them w/o premium. In Canada, I'm told the most popular versions are Base, Loaded and Base w/ Prem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you get the pp, then get the driver's assistance package also, since you cannot get that in a pathfinder.

If you don't want the pp, then get a pathfinder sl and save about 8000 bucks.

IMO there is no reason to get a base jx or jx with pp only. If you want one of those, you can get pretty much the same thing with a pathfinder and save thousands.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Best reply of this forum
Love the sarcarsm :)

You're not wrong, don't buy the package.

Do you really need navigation? no not really. Did you read the thread about not being able to actually use the navigation at above 10mph? You would have spent the extra $5k to use it only at less than 10mph, there's that other 140mph that you couldn't use it for. For the past hundreds of years, people have gotten places by using maps. Yes it's convenient to have a little arrow and a ding telling you that you have to turn left or right, but you could just remember how to get there. I think Columbus was using Apple maps and that's how he found India. But I used to print out mapblast directions before google got really good and it was bought out by Microsoft. You could get one of those Garmin's or TomToms or use a cellphone for directions. But those screens aren't integrated into the 8" screen already in the car.

No need for the bluetooth streaming audio either. It's something that I always use because I don't want to pay XM radio a monthly fee to listen to advertisements. But it's got a DVD player that can play CDs. I also listen to NPR which is on normal radio, but I need to change stations up or down depending on which city I'm in. That's a slight hassle, but I don't often travel long distances.

NavTraffic and Navweather is really not worth the price. Definitely not Navweather. I have a cellphone for that. Navtraffic is kinda useful because the navigation should(?) redirect me to another faster route. And my state doesn't allow me to use my phone while I'm driving. But if you have a Garmin or TomTom those may also have those services. But then there's that cord to plug into the center console.

The Aroundview monitor only works below 10mph, there's another 140mph where it doesn't work at all. Aside from seeing what's around you at low speeds, you can't watch what's in front on the screen while driving. Lame. The moving object detection has stopped me from backing up into another moving object certainly. I'm sure the other guy would've honked totally.

I never liked Bose stuff anyways.

The car rides high enough that you probably don't need the rear view mirror to dim anyways. And the homelink buttons don't light up so it's really hard to tell at night which button you're pushing. Sometimes it opens the other door. The garage door remote just clips onto the window shades anyways.

I'm the only driving the car, so not really necessary to have the extra key for the car to remember car seat position, steering wheel position or last radio station used and all that stuff.

I've always been jealous of the cars w/ the power folding outside mirrors, but the car doesn't auto fold them when I put it to park or turn it off. I have to do it myself. What a hassle for me to remember to do that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, get the PP for sure. i just bought the jx with the PP and regret not getting the driver assist. i love everything the PP has to offer. def recommend it. I test drove the pathfinder platinum version before getting the jx and IMO i didnt like the drive and it didnt feel as confortable as the jx.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts