Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my loaded JX in Liquid Platinum. First impressions:
- Liquid platinum color is awesome. If you can deal with keeping it clean, black is number one. But, liquid platinum is a close number two with graphite interior. Initial had a deposit on slate, but found it too blue.
- Technology is unreal. Multiple cameras, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, integration with iphone, navigation. All great.
- Really a perfect size. Manageable enough to drive around town but big enough for weekend trips and the occasional third row passenger. Compares great to my prior 2005 mdx.
- Really enjoying the ride. Firm, handles well, ample accelleration for daily use. Remember, it is an SUV with good mileage, not a sports car.
- Appearance. I think the design is awesome, even better on the road than in pics. Plenty of stares from other drivers as well.
- Great flexibility. Option to move and recline second row a terrific feature. Not moving anything large? Give the kids some extra leg room.

Negatives:
- Ride may be too firm for some. Have the 20 inch tires and you feel the bumps. Firms seats don't help. I don't mind it but test drive it over bumps to decide for yourself
- Lack of option for running boards makes it a bit difficult for the 4-7 year old set, especially if they're used to a step up
- Small test sample, but a great deal of noise from the open moon roof. Roof angle or just me? not sure.
- Single DVD/CD player. Ipod/iphone input is great, but you can only play one disc of any type at a time. Want a different movie on back screens? You need a separate input device for the second screen.

Overall, thrilled with the purchase. Should be as popular as the MDX (jeez, they're all over the road) for the next few years

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I actually prefer the firm ride. Great to hear input from a previous MDX owner.

Take my advice. Get the car detailed by a GOOD detailer. Throw some collonite wax on, a few more coats of carnuba wax. Dirt will just slide off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your great review.

For the appearances of MDX and JX, I feel somewhat mixed. I love MDX's overall design except for the grill. I also love JX's overall design, but looks like a minivan. Relatively big window in D-pillar makes such minivan-like feeling. Not a big problem, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's tough to buy the MDX now. Overall design is still nice, but it is about 6 years old and a few steps behind on technology. I also think they need to bump up storage space on the next version of the MDX. My 2005 MDX held much more than the crrent model. I'm just hoping the reliability of the JX matches my experience with my MDX.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Those Nissan VQ motors are generally pretty reliable, though maintenance is a bit higher for Infinitis then Acuras I believe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"A Few" steps behind? Acura isn't a proper luxury brand. It has all the modern technology of my daughter's Jetta and less than my wife's CHEVY Traverse. IMO Acura is an overpriced Honda; no courtesy vehicles (at least not in San Diego), and while I will grant they have an "available" blind spot light (can't you get that on a KIA nowadays?) that's the sum of their offering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, with the MDX, they found a void in the market and filled it well for several years, and there's a lot to be said for reliability. Mine was in the shop once for a $100 repair in 7 years. Looks like their reign is coming to an end though. One more JX note, watch out for the SOS button with the tech package. Tried to turn on the map light the other night and next thing you know the police were ready to raid my house. I'll check average mileage this weekend.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"A Few" steps behind? Acura isn't a proper luxury brand. It has all the modern technology of my daughter's Jetta and less than my wife's CHEVY Traverse. IMO Acura is an overpriced Honda; no courtesy vehicles (at least not in San Diego), and while I will grant they have an "available" blind spot light (can't you get that on a KIA nowadays?) that's the sum of their offering.
I don't agree. I think Acura offers affordable cars with relatively good luxury and features. I think they are similar to Infiniti. The build quality of the Acuras are much better then the Hondas. Reliability of those engines are tested and proven. You can't really compare Japanese cars to American and German cars. It's not a very simple direct comparison. It's like comparing the Mustang to the M3. It's just for different people. I don't think someone considering the JX would also consider a Buick.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the 20" rims do make for a harsher ride. I have the 18" with the Michelin Latitude Tour tires and the ride is only slightly firmer than my Lexus GX470, and I mean slightly. The road noise is excellent on this vehicle, dead silent on asphalt and a very slight hum on pavement, better than my Lexus. As far as the Acura debate...... Acura makes very nice vehicles and has excellent reliability. That said, IMHO they are in trouble with the JX. If Infiniti markets this properly, they will kick Acura's ass. The ride on the JX is smoother, the cabin has better fit and finish, and the MDX is outdated as far as technology. Everything on the JX is seamless, from bluetooth to ipod integration. I'm really impressed with the JX and I'm a very picky buyer.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts