Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Nissan/Infiniti forgot the "inspired performance" gig when they did the JX. The Pathfinder is quicker. Why would they do that??? In Edmunds' acceleration tests 0-60, the Pathfinder was 8.0s, the JX was 8.3. Was that a fluke? I dunno... in the MotorTrend SUV of the year tests, the Pathfinder was 7.6s, the JX was 8.2s.

I still bet they use the exact same engine, but if you use Infiniti's recommended premium fuel, vs Nissan's recommended regular, then the Infiniti's ECU lets the engine run with a tiny bit more ignition timing advance for an insignificant (but feels good on paper) 5hp advantage. Even still, it sure doesn't show up in performance. So, is the next-gen transmission in the Pathfinder that much more efficient that it makes a significant power delivery difference? It gets about 10% better mileage, so something magic is going on with it. Thoughts?

I think if the JX would have had the next-gen transmission, I would have bought one. I think a Mallfinder Platinum is going to work out juuuuust fine for us.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Is it lighter? Perhaps the gearing in the different CVT?

FWIW, I've yet to take someone on a test drive and have them actually floor the car to check how fast it gets to 60. They do like to feel the acceleration, but always to ensure it is "sufficient" - whatever sufficient might mean to them. In all but one case, the customers have told me it is sufficient. The only time it wasn't, was when we took a test drive on some very steep hills near where they lived, and they wanted more power. And in that case, I think the wife wanted the JX and the husband wanted an excuse to get something more powerful.

I have had plenty of customers give a G37 a good acceleration test - those can be interesting test drives.

Speaking of interesting test drives. Next time you take your JX in for service, see if a salesperson has time to take you on a test drive of an M35h. It is an amazingly fast car - especially for a hybrid that gets 30+ mpg.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Researching a bit, the next generation Xtronic CVT in the Pathfinder definitely has different gear ratios. The redesigned pulleys give it a wider ratio range. It also has a torque converter that locks up earlier making it quicker off the line. I don't know how much heavier the JX could be, it seems like that would be limited to extra insulation. All its extra technology bells/whistles that are the upscale appeal are primarily software, I would guess(?)

I spent 2 days in a 2013 Altima with the new trans, and I was impressed! It didn't have the sequential shift feeling mode, which made me wonder how it would handle long steep descents. I found one, and tried it. On a flat freeway, if you let off the gas, the trans would "freewheel" as it coasted, the RPM would drop. On the downhill, coasting, it would remain "engaged" at a low ratio to use engine compression braking like a manual transmission, so the speed didn't run away. Wow! That was cool! There are a lot of smart engineers in the world! Car and Driver mag reports that they drove a new and old generation equipped Altima, and the old turned 1500 rpm at 50mph, the new one did 1100 at 50mph. The Mallfinder should have a LOT less motor noise than a JX.

And true, i will probably never floor the Mallfinder. I have a Chevelle with a zz502 motor, 5speed TKO manual trans, and 4.11 rear end gears. I had to put drag radial slicks on it to put the power on the pavement. It's acceleration will snap your neck if you're not paying attention. I don't need a fast daily driver.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The different is minimal. They are both slow. The JX and Pathfinder are both SUVs. They are meant to move families and groceries around, not bring you down the strip under 10 seconds :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Motor Trend's initial test of the JX35 back in April / May showed a 0-60 time of 7.9 and quarter mile of 16.1. Not sure how they came up with a different time in the SUV of the year. www.zeroto60times.com posts the JX35 at a 0-60 of 7.7 and a quarter mile time of 15.8.

Also, keep in mind the JX35 has the SPORT mode, which would make for a better 0-60, Pathfinder does not have this. It would have been interesting if someone would do a test 0-60 & quarter mile with Regular mode and the same tests in SPORT mode.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They are both very similar. Those partial seconds apart aren't going to be that noticeable in real life.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, keep in mind the JX35 has the SPORT mode, which would make for a better 0-60, Pathfinder does not have this. It would have been interesting if someone would do a test 0-60 & quarter mile with Regular mode and the same tests in SPORT mode.
Sport mode just lets the motor rev higher on partial throttle acceleration and keeps if from freewheeling as much on zero throttle deceleration like heading into a turn. It doesn't have anything to do with how much power the motor puts out. I read somewhere that the new Xtronic's torque converter locks up sooner in the power band to eliminate hydro-dynamic loss with the converter.

A few tenths are actually noticeable, ricers would pay a lot of money to take a few tenths off :) Then again, I doubt I will ever floor the Mallfinder.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Close enough! You can still say you brought your JX to a track. Never mentioned about it beong ON the track :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts