Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, on these beautiful days in Dallas, the weather is a balmy 75 degrees. Our sunroof is so noisy when opened we have to shut it..even at 40 mph.
After some experimentation..it appears it is the black "diffuser" for lack of a better word that what is causing the windnoise. This diffuser raises about 1.5 inches upon opening the
sunroof. I have found that if I pull on the diffuser downward just a 1/4 inch while driving....the noise goes away.
The problem will be how does one adjust this diffuser not to raise up as far?
Has anyone experienced this issue??
airlaird

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I've notice the same thing as you mentioned. On all our vehicles with the sun roof, we purchased the wind deflector which really seems to make a difference. So far, there is nothing available on the Infiniti or Nissan websites, but one of the pictures of the new Pathfinder shows it with a deflector. I did see one available on E-Bay recently but checked today and it was gone.

I think the car looks nice with the deflector on also. They are pretty easy to install and usually about $250. If I find one on line I'll post the link.
by the way, the Pathfinder has side window deflectors which might fit the JX also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok good to know....but i prefer the smooth look and was hoping to stay away from deflectors.
But, the noise is quite loud so i may have to purchase one
Airlaird

·
Registered
321 Posts
Please keep us updated...curious if the defuser from the P fits the JX.

Ok good to know....but i prefer the smooth look and was hoping to stay away from deflectors.
But, the noise is quite loud so i may have to purchase one
Airlaird

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well i have some experimental results from my testing. :))). After my original post i simply put 3M
Tape on the black diffuser and "stuck" it in the down position , so it no longer pops up.
I then drove 60 mph. The Windnoise is now miniscule. I listened to the radio on a low to moderate
Volume and heard the music much better. I opened and closed the sunroof while driving several times....the sunroof never faltered. I then parked it and opened and shut the sunroof. The black diffuser does not affect the operation of the sunroof whatsoever. I am working on a permanent solution to keeping the diffuser permanently down. Not really sure what the diffuser does....butt i can now carry a conversation
Inside the cabin with the sunroof fully open at 60 mph
Airlaird

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the diffuser keeps is to diffuse the wind from blowing your hair etc..while in the cabin...but I dont really know. I noticed no difference whle I had the diffuser taped down.
I still felt some air coming in...I just think the diffuser is not needed. Try it as you drive. Go about 60 miles an hour and reach up and pull it down. A major difference in noise reduction.
airlaird

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well i have some experimental results from my testing. :))). After my original post i simply put 3M
Tape on the black diffuser and "stuck" it in the down position , so it no longer pops up.
I then drove 60 mph. The Windnoise is now miniscule. I listened to the radio on a low to moderate
Volume and heard the music much better. I opened and closed the sunroof while driving several times....the sunroof never faltered. I then parked it and opened and shut the sunroof. The black diffuser does not affect the operation of the sunroof whatsoever. I am working on a permanent solution to keeping the diffuser permanently down. Not really sure what the diffuser does....butt i can now carry a conversation
Inside the cabin with the sunroof fully open at 60 mph
Airlaird
If this works that is a awesome way to reduce wind noise!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave I have tried the traditional velcro strips. The diffuser has about a 4-5 lb tension spring on it...it seperates after about 2 minutes. I am looking for an aircraft grade velcro with a 25 lb
strength. This will work ...once I find it..I will keep everyone apprised with pics soon..
airlaird

1 - 11 of 11 Posts