Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After one year, here are my observations and opinions of the JX:

The JX 35 is definitely under powered for any type of mountain travel. Do not attempt to pass on an upgrade at altitude. My Ford F150 with an Ecoboost engine would make the maneuver no problem. The JX, not so much.
The transmission can be strange in its search for the right gear ratio. With a cold engine going up any type of incline, the motor will typically keep revs higher than they should be.
Mileage for a combined country/city drive is poor 11.3L/100KM which is a bit under 21 MPG . Again, the Ford with a lot more power is about 10% less.
Off gassing when the vehicle is new will last at least 3 weeks and is horrible. The worst of any new car I have ever owned. For the first few weeks I drove with the windows open. Burning eyes and nose occurred if the windows were not opened a crack.
The JX is basically a mini-van with four wheel drive. As such in a compromise for stability and comfort a compromise had to be reached by the engineers. I find that the vehicle is stable and performs well in normal conditions. Move to any type of abnormal conditions, and the vehicle needs a little more attention on the road. Strong cross winds or strong gusts will give the sensation of driving on four balloons instead of tires. Not huge, but compared to our other vehicles, noticeable. BTW I am comparing this to an 2012 F150, a 2007 LS460L a 2007 BMW Z4 and a Prius (to be honest the Prius is not that good in crosswinds).
The fit and finish is adequate, although I must point out that I have snapped the rear bumper quarter panels back into place on both sides, and I do have an ongoing issue with a roof vibration that sets up at speeds above 110KPH with a strong cross wind from the passenger side. Four trips to the dealer and no resolution.
Expect rattles from poorly placed and wrapped wiring harnesses in the dash.
Winter driving with winter tires was quite good. No complaints.
I have installed a STiR Plus and find it a great help with any commute, especially with red light camera notification. I highly recommend adding this to your JX. For those interested in long road trips. The STiR plus is totally undetectable, and can be turned off when in provinces or states where not allowed.
I find that reliance on the rear back up camera while good, can lead to the odd issue. I always shoulder check and ask passengers, if onboard, to check when backing up.
The adaptive radar cruise control is a great feature. If you live in areas prone to sudden heavy downpours, or fog, or white out snow storms, this feature could save your life. As an aside with this feature, always shut off the adaptive cruise control when passing bicycles or going around sharp turns with vehicles on an outside lane preparing to turn. The system may interpret the situation as being to close and apply the brakes with force. If anyone is following to close, it could be dangerous.
All in all I would give the JX a 7 out of 10. More power or better gas mileage would raise the score. Attention to engineering problems would be a big help with the JX as we move forward.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You mention of offgassing made me realize mine was almost as bad. Not "eye burning", but partial headache inducing.

What is the approximate cost to install STiR Plus? I've always wanted one.

Thanks for the review, many of your comments reflect mine.
- New dash rattle
- Roof rail vibration
- Wishing for better mileage (21.4 mpg, but this was known before buying so can't complain too much)
- Steering feels fake
- Good power, but I'm at sea level
- Good use of camera and birds eye view. I find myself not bothering to look back anymore.
- Enjoy the bluetooth/tech integration
- Enjoy the active cruise
- Active lane prevention doesn't work well or hold the vehicle in the lane
- No problems with the transmission. I used to keep it in Eco, but stopped because the pedal pushed back when I needed it. Also, the MPG didn't change when I switched to Sport. After 4 months the dial is in "Normal", again the same MPG.
- Still not sold on the looks. Remember the Seinfield episode where his girlfriend looks good at one angle, then ugly the next? Well, my JX has the same problem.
- Mapping visuals are a generation old, however voice and touch screen is good
- Lots of options to display videos to 3 yr old
- TONS of 2nd row legroom
- Overall feels like a luxury vehicle. It doesn't feel like a fancy Nissan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do any of you regret buying the JX though? I bought my first crossover, the JX based solely on the fact that the Audi Q7 is changing shape and didn't want to be stuck with a previous generation car. Same with the Acura MDX. They did a lot of things right, but this CUV wasn't 100% thought out well. Now I regret it for one main reason:
My 6ft 3in son's head hits the roof-line in even in the second row! The Q7 is ~1 inch taller in the second row and that made all the difference because he fits fine in the Q7. Third row is useless, the legroom is fine, but headroom won't fit anyone in my family, I knew about this prior to buying but figured they would rarely be used since we are only a family of 4. This issue isn't Infiniti's fault, I just assumed the second row would be fine because I've never run into that issue (I had an XC90 immediately prior)

Apart from that huge mishap, it's perfectly decent.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do any of you regret buying the JX though? I bought my first crossover, the JX based solely on the fact that the Audi Q7 is changing shape and didn't want to be stuck with a previous generation car. Same with the Acura MDX. They did a lot of things right, but this CUV wasn't 100% thought out well. Now I regret it for one main reason:
My 6ft 3in son's head hits the roof-line in even in the second row! The Q7 is ~1 inch taller in the second row and that made all the difference because he fits fine in the Q7. Third row is useless, the legroom is fine, but headroom won't fit anyone in my family, I knew about this prior to buying but figured they would rarely be used since we are only a family of 4. This issue isn't Infiniti's fault, I just assumed the second row would be fine because I've never run into that issue (I had an XC90 immediately prior)

While I list a number of issues, problems, dislikes, etc... I don't regret buying the vehicle. I still think it's better than the Q7, MDX, X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a 4 yr old Range Rover that I was also considering.

·
Registered
51 Posts

No regrets here! After approximately 6 months couldn't be happier with my decision. Do I wish things were different with my JX? Yes...Would I buy the same vehicle today? Absolutely YES!

·
Registered
4 Posts
While I list a number of issues, problems, dislikes, etc... I don't regret buying the vehicle. I still think it's better than the Q7, MDX, X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a 4 yr old Range Rover that I was also considering.
I agree that as a CUV soley the Jx35 is a winner (its got nissan underpinnings, and a boatload of tech for not soo much of $$$.

Q7 exterior design is great, but its on the way out. Nice hauler with plenty of room for a faux 7 pass german hauler.
X5 (only e70) onroad manners are beyond belief. If you dont care about getting driver assistance nannies, and want a serious drivers car this is the best your gonna get next to the cayenne. With the increase in performance, repair and maintenance is gonna be hard, but thats a normal part of driving a beast of a car.
Jeep GC: Offroad bargain. Same platform as the current gen ML, but packed to the gills with soo much offroad tech insane.
RR: Offroad beast, but pricey and reliability is non-existent.
MDX (2014): Its sweet with the SH-AWD, but its lower so its the only real competition to the JX in price and value. Plus its got a 6 speed at, which.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guess we're lucky. I just drove from St. Simons GA to Memphis. This is my wife's daily driver. 20k miles on it. It was great around town and on the highway. Even fully loaded with the kids and luggage I had plenty of power for the highway and got good mileage. Comfortable seats, great adaptive cruise. It doesn't pin you to seats when you take off but I had plenty for merging and passing. Really grew to like the blind spot alerts. Turned the sound off...

We've had zero issues except for one recall about the gas gauge. No smells, leaks ect...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts