Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like Nissan/Infiniti are behind most of the other manufactures in still suggesting oil changes every 3750 miles. Just wanted to hear others thoughts on what you plan doing with your JX.

·
Registered
196 Posts
With my 2007 G35 S, I was initially going 7500 with synthetic oil. Then I started going to my current mechanic who runs his own repair shop. He was previously an Infiniti master technician for 10 years. He said that the high compression engines in the G35 are designed to burn oil, so it's better to go with 3750 using regular oil, since you don't need the synthetic to last as long as would be going to 7500. I was at 7500 when I first went to see him, and he showed me on the dipstick that I down almost 2 quarts as he predicted. He said that if I wanted to stay at 7500, I should check oil levels and add as needed. But he really recommended 3750 with regular oil as the better choice for the G35 engine.

In the JX, the same engine is not tuned to be as highly compressed, therefore the lower horsepower. It might be OK to go to 7500, but in that case I would use synthetic, which lasts longer, and also check the dipstick intermittently and add as needed. That being said, we bought the prepaid Elite Maintenance Plan (discussed in another thread) which includes oil changes at 3750, so that's what we'll be doing with the JX.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my current hybrid which tells me when it's ready for oil change. It's typically around 7000. I am hoping for something similar with JX.... I would prefer not to do 3750 oil changes and tune-ups.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was very surprised the JX doesn't include an oil sensor. GM has this on every model, and simply changing oil every 3k seems like a waste.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my JX couple weeks ago. Asked service manager if really necessary to change at 3,700 miles...said, if you don't want to come in that often, then go with synthetic to 7,000, but do the first two oil changes with standard oil, then flip to synthetic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
3700 Miles seems pretty standard to me, this is onle of the cheapest ways to keep your car in check and everything running well!

So doing oil changes eveyr 3750 isnt a waste, it to prolong engine life so why not!

·
Registered
42 Posts
i don't own a JX, yet... but i've been using full synthetic on current and previous cars with change intervals at 5000 miles... My current car (06 Acura TL) is at 145K miles and still running strong! My previous car, 99 nissan maxima went to 180K on this routine before i traded her in. I could've easily got her over 200K miles, but the new car itch kicked in hard!

I'm married with kids now and the itch is back... just need something with a bit more space. Strongly considering the JX, or the upcoming redesigned MDX.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The manufacture does have it's recommended oil change KM marks where they are for a reason, you might not want to change it exactly when they recommend but maybe even before. Closer to the recommended KM mark to change the oil I would start checking the oil myself to see where it's at.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Keep in mind that car do burn oil baise don how you drive and oil life can decrease in life a lot faster if you flooring the crap out of your car everywhere, best way is to also look at your dipstick and check the oil there as well !

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like BMW change oil only every 25000km with their Castro long life syncthetic oil
Apparently BMW maintenance is cheaper than Nissan

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you don't want to come in that often, then go with synthetic to 7,000, but do the first two oil changes with standard oil, then flip to synthetic.
Pretty much what the manual says. Says 3750 is for "more severe" conditions and the first two oil changes. Its on the in Infiniti owners portal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm leasing my vehicle and I'm going to follow the longer OCI with a high quality full synthetic. A quality oil should have no problem with a 7,500 mile OCI. I'm sure I will pull at least 1 oil analysis on the JX once I take delivery. It's going to be a while...but I will post the oil analysis results when I get them to share with the community.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are maintenance reminders...several actually. You can even set up a custom one for whatever you like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts