Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I was on call this past weekend (work for a medical device company) and spent lots of time in the JX. I passed the 1000 mile mark within 2 weeks! Here are some observations:

What I like:

- The ride quality is really good and cabin noise is exellent. The suspension on the JX does a very good job at minimizing harsh road abnormalities. While it's not as cloud like as my previous Lexus GX, it's a close second. That said, I can take curves and turns with much more aggressiveness than I ever could with the Lexus GX.

- Cabin noise.... The JX is without a doubt, one of the quietest cabins I have ridden in. At highway speed, over asphalt, there is a slight woosh from the wind and that's it. The tires are dead silent on asphalt and only a slight hum on concrete (some concrete is louder than others).

- I'm actually beginning to prefer the CVT on the JX. Acceleration is very smooth, and after driving my wifes Sienna, the engine noise from 5k RPM really isn't that obtrusive in the cabin. Cruising at 70 on the highway, the CVT puts the RMP's right a 2k.

- Averaging about 20 mpg with combined 40% city/ 60% highway. Was hoping for a bit better mpg, but we'll see as the engine breaks in.

- Surprised at how much room is actually available in the JX. In the Lexus, I had crap overflowing from the cargo area into the back seats. In the JX, everything fits in the back cargo area, and there is still more leg room in the second row even with the seats pushed forward a bit to provide that extra rear cargo space. (I carry lot's of product for my job).

Things that could be improved:

- I originally thought that the Bose audio system was excellent.... After spending many hours behind the wheel, I have to knock it down to very good. The interface and functionality is excellent. The system works flawlessly hooked up to an Ipod which is nice, and the flow through the menus is easy. However, the sound quality of the Bose speakers leaves much to be desired, specifically at higher volumes (over 1/2). Making matters worse is the lack of control that Bose purposely employs. I did some testing of the various speakers and the subwoofer is basically useless... You really cannot hear it from the front, no matter what you do to the bass. Most of the bass experienced in the front seats is coming from the woofers in the door. That said, the bass is not the issue. When you push the system to higher volumes, the 3 1/2 inch speakers in the dash begin to break up and it's very harsh on the ears. The speakers are bright to begin with, but at higher volumes it's really an issue. At lower volumes, the system will be fine (which is likely 80% of the owners).

I'm in the process of ordering some Infinity Kappa 2 ohm speakers to replace the 3 1/2 inch dash speakers, and the tweeters in the pillar. I took a look at the Bose speakers in those spots and as I thought, the mid woofers are cheap paper cones, and the tweeters look to be silk. If I don't get good results from those, I may step up to a speaker made by CDT that are also 2 ohm. (thank you Bose for all this proprietary BS... Bose uses low resistance speakers so that they can go with smaller, cheaper amps.) If this does not provide decent results, I'm done, as I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on a full set of speakers. Just a bit disappointed as the audio system in the Lexus GX (Mark Levinson) was excellent.

- Seat comfort and leather quality.... Damn if Infiniti did't cheap out on the seats. As the JX platform is sharing the bones of the new Pathfinder, I'm sure they are using cheaper materials in places to save on cost. IMO, the seats in the JX are the firmest of all Infiniti vehicles, and the least comfortable (I went to the dealer to compare). I have the base AWD JX with only the premium package. To save cost, Infiniti is using the same seats in every vehicle, even if you don't have ventilated seats. The ventilated seats have a plastic mesh that is adhered to the leather (just push on the perforated portion of the seat cushion and listen for the rice crispies sound effect). Because of the way the ventilated seats work in the JX, the foam used in the seat cushion is rather firm so that the occupant does not bottom out and thus block the flow of air through the perforations. Because of this, the seats have less give and are, therefore, not very plush for a luxury vehicle. I wish they would buy a Lexus and reverse engineer the Lexus system for ventilated seats; not only do the Lexus seats work well, they are extremely comfortable.

Because I spend so much time driving, I am taking the seat to a custom upholstery shop where they are going to make the bottom cushion more user friendly. They quoted me $225 to create a custom bottom with softer padding.

Fit and finish of the rear door: This is kind of crazy..... If you are a perfectionist on your new JX SKIP THIS PART!! I noticed one evening that when facing the rear of the JX, the left side of the back door sits about 5/8 inch above the tail light, and the right side is closer to 1/4 inch. Additionally, the seams on the left side are much larger than on the right side with the door shut. I wasn't too happy about this, so I took it to my dealer. They stated they could try to adjust it when I bring it in for the first service. While they were making notes, I went and looked at the JX in the showroom, and noticed that it had the exact same issue as my JX. After that, we walked the sales lot and looked at 2 other JX's they had , and both of those also had the issue. This is something that should have been caught by quality control... it's not that big of a deal, but it's pretty bad considering this is a luxury brand. Once you see it, it's pretty noticeable. (attached are pics)

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle Car Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Vehicle

Overall, I like the JX. It's proving to be a nice replacement for my Lexus GX.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jugdish,
thanks!, another very informative post!, keep 'em coming.
As for the fit and finish issues, given that its a first year model I will be surprised if there were none. I noticed vibration from a driver side door trim during acceleration on a demo model I test drove.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jugdish, very informative post thanks. I guess I am into the whole perfectionist thing and had to check out the issue. Although it is night time I went out to see if the issue was there on my JX and could'nt detect the same issue between the left and right sides. I will try to get some pics as comparison in day time. Wondering if this issue was related to a specific batch of cars as you saw several others with similar issues. If this is a batch related issue there could be a good chance they can fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the upgraded Bose system, is that the same one you have? I've really been impressed with the sound. Just my opinion. The upgraded system has I think 13 speakers with the larger sub in the storage area under the rear in the storage area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jugdish, thanks for the informative post!! Will have to check later on in the day if the back lights are not aligned my JX.

I totally agree with you regarding the Bose system, I have the upgraded one with the 13 speakers and the so called subwoofer. The sound from the bose system is very muddy. The subwoofer is just useless, I have an 2011 Acura TL and the sound system in that car is way better than this Bose crap!

I was watching a review of the JX on motor week this weekend and they found the seats to be very comfortable, to me they are just ok, not so bad that I would spend money on having them redone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guys there are two upgrades to the sound system. Standard is the 6 speaker, Premium gives you the 13 speaker Bose and the one that comes with the Deluxe Touring Package is the "Bose® Cabin Surround® 15-speaker sound system with digital 5.1-channel decoding". I have the Touring one but don't really crank up the volume too much. I was in the car with my kids the other day previewing the theater package and the sound was pretty good through the 15 Speaker system. The subwoofer also performed very well through the special effects.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the touring version and I think the system is the best I've heard but then again I'm not an audiophile. Have to agree with the seat issues though; if you raise the driver seat from the lowest position one bit, the base starts to tilt forward. The passenger reminds me of me of our 04 Armada. No tilt on the seat base and seems to want to dump you forward which to me is very hard to feel comfortable.

There were many complaints with the Armada over this issue to the point where people were proping up the front seat mounts on their own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: the tail light fit. Assembly is so automated and precise these days that if one car is off, they all tend to be off to precisely the same degree.

I found all of the seats lacking in contour with the JX. Many crossovers are this way, so they might have just been trying to be like the others.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the touring version and I think the system is the best I've heard but then again I'm not an audiophile. Have to agree with the seat issues though; if you raise the driver seat from the lowest position one bit, the base starts to tilt forward. The passenger reminds me of me of our 04 Armada. No tilt on the seat base and seems to want to dump you forward which to me is very hard to feel comfortable.

There were many complaints with the Armada over this issue to the point where people were proping up the front seat mounts on their own.
Don't you able to adjust the seat tilt separately from the front and back. I can do that in my 03 Murano. You can also adjust the seat back separatly. So how can this be an issue?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks for posting your review. I also wish Infiniti used better seats. It's one thing that makes a big impact for me that really changes how I feel in the car. I just test drove the GS350 and I really love the seats on that thing. Anyone else have the fit problem on the rear door? That's a big peeve for me... Maybe they should have made the JX in Japan instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't you able to adjust the seat tilt separately from the front and back. I can do that in my 03 Murano. You can also adjust the seat back separatly. So how can this be an issue?
The drivers seat base does adjust but not enough; in hte maximum tipped rearward position it is flat/no base adjustment on passenger side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts