Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this deserves its own thread so people know.

DETROIT - Nissan is recalling five of its 2013 models in the U.S. because a faulty sensor can permanently turn off the front-seat passenger air bag.

The recall covers the Altima midsize car, as well as the Leaf electric car, Pathfinder SUV and the Sentra compact. Also covered is the Infiniti JX35 SUV.

The Altima is Nissan's top-selling car with 49,000 sold this year.

Nissan says in documents filed with safety regulators that it hasn't determined the number of vehicles affected by the recall.

Front passenger seats have sensors that determine the passenger's weight and turn off air bags off if a child is on board. The malfunctioning sensors can turn the air bags off permanently.

Nissan says its dealers will inspect the sensors in April and replace them free of charge if necessary.
So they recognize the problem - now how are they going to fix it? hmm

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I think the complaints to NHTSA caused Nissan to pull the trigger. About time! Our problem went away, but you never know if it will reappear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been asking my wife to gain some weight because of this issue. I guess now I can get her to go back on her diet :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
if they are inspecting sensors sounds like they are planing to replace the passenger seat occupancy sensor which is a inexpensive part compared to other SRS components. Since its effecting so many diff models it sounds like the sensor was not manufactured properly

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
This was on all the local news stations last night. If I were Nissan, I'd be a little pissed at their vendor, but also, shame on them for not addressing this sooner.

·
Registered
524 Posts
NHTSA will investigate with only a few calls/complaints. They assume 99%+ don't bother saying anything so when a few complain directly to them it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like this forum might have contributed a bit to the recall as a few members here had the problem and complained.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i wouldn't be surprised if other vehicle manufactures start having the same problem. most of the these parts vendors make the same part for multiple vehicle manufactures/vehicle models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally! We have the problem intermittently with the passenger seat. Our dealer service dept assured us it wasn't a defect, but clearly it is one. I'll be glad to get this fixed asap...

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Finally! We have the problem intermittently with the passenger seat. Our dealer service dept assured us it wasn't a defect, but clearly it is one. I'll be glad to get this fixed asap...
The recall notices should be in the mail next month. My problem went away, but I'll be having them fix it on my next service visit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has already been done (on the 5th of this month).... :) Of course, it had to sit at the dealer for an entire week while they waited for the new replacement parts to show up.

The airbag sensor recall has been in the works since early march (google: jx35 airbag sensor recall)... If your dealers don't know about it then they need to read their mail more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recall Alert

Be warned - if you were one of the first JX owners, like myself, apparently they are not including all VIN numbers in the recall. My car has been at the dealer all day for recall only to be told its not part of the recall. Tell that to whoever is sitting in my passenger seat when the light turns on - which is about 50% of the time. I have filed an official complaint with Infiniti just now. We will see what they say tomorrow. I have lived with this issue for almost a year now, waiting for them to acknowledge it is a problem. Now, they finally do a recall but I don't qualify because my car was made before the problem? Gee, that's funny because my car has the problem!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the air bag issue. Brought it up with the dealer and apparently the recall is not yet out in Canada. There's a parts shortage and US JXs are being fixed first. :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same here, i brought mine for service yesterday and they told me the same thing. I live in MA if this makes any diff...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts