Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took my JX35 in for scheduled oil change at 3750. Was informed that there was a recall and that they could upload the new software while they change the oil. Was not sure what the update was for other than it did say "brakes". So I figured that it was for the issue about the vehicle breaking when going over bridges. It may have been that but what I did notice is a change in performance and how the vehicle operates. Let me explain: I noticed that when I am driving without cruise I can maintain 65 mph at about 1750 RPM. AS soon as I put it in cruise control it jumped 500 RPM. Found this very odd. Called dealer and Nissan and both said this is a know issue. Well after that computer update this NO LONGER occurs! In fact my gas mileage went from an average of 19 - 20 MPG to 21 - 22 MPG CITY DRIVING!!! Not bad I would say! Thought I would share this snippet in case you haven't had your vehicle in he shop for a while.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting thing about the RPM. This week I noticed something strange.

On cruise control the car would keep oscillating ... going up a couple 100 rpms and then down a couple 100. I had the radio switched off, and so I first heard the engine doing this weird thing, thats when I glanced at the tachometer. There were no cars in front of me, the road was fairly level with a very slight incline (maybe a 1 or 2 deg).
I was able to replicate this again on the same trip.
But since then the car has been smooth. Picks up an rpm at cruise and maintains it (unless of course there is a car in front or a steep incline comes up, etc).

Anyone else seen this before? or have a clue why it could have happened?

1/2 an hour before that there was an incident where I was coming up behind a car. The JXdid its auto braking for FCI, but I pushed back on the accelerator since I intended to switch lanes in front of a truck in the left lane. As the JX did a hard braking before it understood I was still wanting to accelerate and there was a bad jerk between these transitions. I wonder if the callipers got jammed or something with this maneuver. (lesson learnt : switch off avoidance systems if I intend to do something like this or not do it at all :) )

·
Registered
248 Posts
<snip>

1/2 an hour before that there was an incident where I was coming up behind a car. The JXdid its auto braking for FCI, but I pushed back on the accelerator since I intended to switch lanes in front of a truck in the left lane. As the JX did a hard braking before it understood I was still wanting to accelerate and there was a bad jerk between these transitions. I wonder if the callipers got jammed or something with this maneuver. (lesson learnt : switch off avoidance systems if I intend to do something like this or not do it at all :) )
Are we sure we want all this nanny tech? Wow, that sounds dangerous! Kinda like ghost car gig where JX's stop dead in their tracks for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Infiniti and they said I should contact the dealer. So I did. They hadn't heard about this issue but did check it out on their cars they had on the lot.The did find the same issue. All the dealer told me was there was a recall for a software update. I will assume this was part of it.

On a second note on my very first trip I ran out of gas...one minute I had fuel next minute I am out. This has also been fixed so I have been told.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Just for grins, I went to NHTSA's website to see if there is anything else pending and it looks like all the current items we've seen on this forum have been noted. It is an excellent website and pretty easy to navigate or file issues. I did note that according to Inside line, NHTSA is investigating about 8,000 JXs for false braking. When I went to NHTSA's website, I only saw the two original complaints filed. Its interesting to see how people send in their issues...

The NHTSA website is at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/ You can navigate from their to find other interesting items.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My car is in that build range, so I guess we'll have it done when we go for our next service. No problems so far with the fuel gauge as far as I can tell, but we usually refill at 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just the Facts:

Nissan is recalling 7,842 Infiniti JX35s because of a fuel gauge problem that may cause the vehicle to stall, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The fuel gauge does not accurately show when the tank is becoming empty, said NHTSA.
The recall is expected to begin September 4.

WASHINGTON — Nissan is recalling 7,842 Infiniti JX35s because of a fuel gauge problem that may cause the vehicle to stall, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"Due to an assembly issue, the fuel transfer tube may be misrouted inside the fuel tank," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "As a result, the fuel level float may be prevented from dropping as the fuel is consumed and the fuel gauge may read a fuel level higher than actually exists. If the fuel gauge does not accurately show when the tank is becoming empty, the vehicle may run out of gas unexpectedly, stalling, and increasing the risk of a crash."

Nissan told federal safety regulators that the problem was discovered through an unspecified number of "field reports."

The affected vehicles were built from February 15, 2012 through June 22, 2012. Infiniti dealers will re-route the fuel transfer tube and install a new O-ring. The recall is expected to begin on September 4. Owners can contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261.

Separately, NHTSA is still in the process of investigating an estimated 8,000 2013 Infiniti JX35s because of "false application of brakes."

No recall has been issued in that probe at this point.

Inside Line says: If you own a 2013 Infiniti JX35, you'll have to wait until early September when parts become available to get your vehicle fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly...what was updated (software) and the fuel gauge are two different recalls. Feel free to contact your dealer for info on the recall that was updated in my car. As stated before it fixed the engine rpm on cruise which also increased my MPG.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts