Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The trick to getting 4 bikes onto a carrier like that is to be patient and creative. First off, you alternate handlebars to the left and right on each bike. Second, you may need to remove all/some of the front wheels of the bikes. Third, careful with the pedals and handlebars - get them to next/overlap with the bike further in.

Then when you get all the bikes on, use a bungie cord or two to secure them to the upright on the carrier. The bungie will add a little security, to the hold-down, but more importantly keeps them from banging into one another and scratching each other or breaking spokes.

Not saying it is easy, but I've done it. Think of it as bike tetris.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny.... yes, it is like bike Tetris. Thank goodness I don't have to mess with that yet. The kids are still small enough that their bikes aren't a hassle yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does your JX squat after you've loaded the bike rack?
Yes, unfortunately.... the JX does NOT have a "self leveling" suspension. My JX was fully loaded with the bikes, luggage and people and it looked like an overloaded minivan... This is why we have that "headlight leveling" switch.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes, unfortunately.... the JX does NOT have a "self leveling" suspension. My JX was fully loaded with the bikes, luggage and people and it looked like an overloaded minivan... This is why we have that "headlight leveling" switch.
I think the headlights have an adjuster to lower the beam if the back is squatting too much.

The strange thing about the "manual" headlight adjuster is, an automatic adjuster is required in Europe if equipped with xenon headlights. It's not clear why Infiniti would replace the auto-light-leveler and make it manual for us yanks.

Before I degrees too far, I'm close to buying a bike rack and started reading Amazon reviews between Thule and Yakima. Did you cross shop before buying the Thule?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the time, only Thule's design enabled me to "swing" the bikes out and away from the car so that the liftgate can be opened fully. I believe with the Yakima a long time ago (don't know if true today), the arm swings down so that the bikes are actually laying down on the ground AND in the way of you loading the back of the car easily. Now that I just looked at the Yakima, I see that they now have the "Swing Daddy" model which does exactly what the Thule does. But I see that the bike mounts for the Thule are still better where they prevent the bike from swinging.

·
Registered
524 Posts
At the time, only Thule's design enabled me to "swing" the bikes out and away from the car so that the liftgate can be opened fully. I believe with the Yakima a long time ago (don't know if true today), the arm swings down so that the bikes are actually laying down on the ground AND in the way of you loading the back of the car easily. Now that I just looked at the Yakima, I see that they now have the "Swing Daddy" model which does exactly what the Thule does. But I see that the bike mounts for the Thule are still better where they prevent the bike from swinging.
thank you for the feedback

1 - 10 of 10 Posts