Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time reader (ok.. maybe a few weeks) and first time poster... but i thought i'd share my purchasing experience with you guys.

After reading about the JX on here and a few other sites we decided to purchase one (30th of March). We picked out a (new) fully loaded Black Obsidian w/Wheat-maple interior and absolutely love it!

I was a little shocked after buying BMW's, Audi's and Land Rovers over the past few years that this particular dealer played the "Salesman = friend / GM = badguy" game. Our sales guy was nice but a little eccentric. At one point he made me get on the phone with Infiniti tech support to fix a computer problem he was having (because i "work with computers" he thought i would fix it for him).. It was a little awkward to say the least. When we took delivery of the car we found shipping residue on the outside and a few dirt marks on the inside. Somebody had also left a dirty rag in the car soaked with some type of solvent... it gave both my wife and i a headache on the drive home.. No new car smell for us :(

The day after we brought the car home the dreaded passenger airbag light came on and stayed on. It took 5 days to get repaired. When we asked our salesman to talk to the service department and try to speed things up he said "Once you sign the papers on the car, any issues you have are not my problem". When we told the service department that we had just purchased the car they seemed very apologetic and put our car ahead of a few others.

Six days after purchasing the car we head off to the service center to pick it up... only to find deep scratches and a rub mark on the front bumper. The service manager was very apologetic and explained that a tool cart must have been pushed into the car (a tool cart would not make a rub mark like that.. IMHO). The car had to be sent to a body shop to have the front bumper repainted... our sales guys response "Not my problem".

Eleven days after signing for the car my wife heads to pick it up (again)... While in the middle of the showroom floor our sales guy starts yelling at my wife that we cost him $150. I had given him an 'average' score on the Infiniti survey and i guess they get a bonus only if they are marked higher. He followed my wife out of the showroom still yelling at her and at one point blocked her from getting into her car. All while yelling at her about his $150 bonus he lost. He didn't care that our ~$60k car had spent almost 2 weeks in service and had to have its bumper repainted... he wanted his $150!

My wife is now terrified to go back to this dealer...

Moral of the story: Sometimes its best to not answer the survey then give your sales guy bad marks.

Anybody else have a crazy sales experience? or are we just the lucky ones :)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Moral of the story: Sometimes its best to not answer the survey then give your sales guy bad marks.)
As a salesperson, I say "SCREW THAT". If what you're describing is completely true/accurate, I say that salesperson earned 2's at best on his survey. And I don't get paid $150 for a good survey. IF I sell enough cars, and IF my customer satisfaction numbers are high enough (basically I need to earn all 10's or nearly all 10's on EVERY survey), Infiniti will give me a little spiff and after a year, will help subsidize the cost of an Infiniti if I can afford to buy one. One or two bad surveys and I'm pretty much out of that money for a few months until things average back out.

That said, I'll include one caveat. I tell every customer that if there's any reason they feel they can't give me all 10's on the survey, to please call and let me know why. If there is anything that's within my control, I will make every effort to fix it. Using the survey as a stick to beat the salesperson doesn't really do you any good (and harms him/her), but if you're unsatisfied and they make no effort to make things right when you dangle the carrot, then use the stick. If on day two of ownership he really told you "Once you sign the papers on the car, any issues you have are not my problem," - then IMO he deserves the stick for being a complete idiot.

The intention of the survey is to 1) ensure we, as salespeople and a dealership, treat you honestly and respectfully throughout the sales process; 2) make sure we deliver the car and educate you on how to use the myriad features on your new car (that's a lot more work on a JX than it is on a G37); 3) "re-deliver" the car a few days or a week after purchase to review all the tech and make sure you are 100% happy. At our dealership anyway, we bend over backwards to ensure our clients are satisfied and happy enough to give us all 10's on that survey.

What's interesting about the surveys is that there are lots of questions that appear to be about the dealership in general, or the financing process. Regardless of what the question purports to be about, ultimately the score on the whole survey comes back to rest of the shoulders of the salesperson. I got a survey back last week where I earned all 10's on the questions about me and the sales/delivery process. But the customer didn't like the finance director and scored him 6-8 on those questions. Needless to say, that screwed my overall score average for this month. I did two things. First, I called the client to thank him again for his business and for giving me good scores on the survey, and second, I whacked myself in the head for not telling him three times that the WHOLE survey is my report card. Not just the questions about sales.

If I were you, I'd call or write to the GM of that dealership detailing your complaints. If you don't get satisfaction within 48 hours of them receiving your complaint, then I'd take it to Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Other than fixing your bumper, there's not a lot they can do about that. But if I were the dealer, I'd want to find a way to make you happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are a much more patient guy than I am. If my wife had been the one to suffer through that I would have visited the dealership ASAP with the police, file a lawsuit, and my car would have been free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That said, I'll include one caveat. I tell every customer that if there's any reason they feel they can't give me all 10's on the survey, to please call and let me know why. If there is anything that's within my control, I will make every effort to fix it.

The intention of the survey is to 1) ensure we, as salespeople and a dealership, treat you honestly and respectfully throughout the sales process; 2) make sure we deliver the car and educate you on how to use the myriad features on your new car (that's a lot more work on a JX than it is on a G37); 3) "re-deliver" the car a few days or a week after purchase to review all the tech and make sure you are 100% happy. At our dealership anyway, we bend over backwards to ensure our clients are satisfied and happy enough to give us all 10's on that survey.

If I were you, I'd call or write to the GM of that dealership detailing your complaints. If you don't get satisfaction within 48 hours of them receiving your complaint, then I'd take it to Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Other than fixing your bumper, there's not a lot they can do about that. But if I were the dealer, I'd want to find a way to make you happy.
The fact he gave us the brush off and we had to notify the service department this was a 'day old car' ourselves kind of made us go *hmmmm*. I would have ignored everything else if he didn't turn his back on us after the sale.

I've bought other cars that have had issues in the first few days of owning them... Heck, our last two cars where Land Rovers :) ... but the sales guys always had our back... that's why we bought our 2nd Rover (it wasn't for the reliability :) ).

The service department was great and very apologetic about the damage to the car. IMHO they made things right by us and even went the extra step.

I left a message for the GM last night after my wife called me in tears. I got the impression most of the staff watched the sales guy loose it and demand my wife pay him the money he 'lost' because of our review. The receptionist had the 'oh... crap' sound in her voice as i was asking for the GM or Sales Manager. Honestly, i will be surprised if i hear from him.

Its a great car and we still like it better then the Q7, MDX and even the GL450. But since they are the only dealer in our state we won't be getting another Infiniti.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had a horrible experience purchasing my JX. Not as bad as yours, but horrible in my opinion. The salesman quickly figured it out and dissappeared half way through the vehicle pick-up process (back ordered 8 weeks at the time). The finance manager stepped in to finish the deal. Strangely enough I never received a survey. I was hoping to leave a poor review, but didn't get a chance. Noticed later that Infiniti had the wrong home address, so the survey may have never made it to my house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a horrible experience purchasing my JX. Not as bad as yours, but horrible in my opinion. The salesman quickly figured it out and dissappeared half way through the vehicle pick-up process (back ordered 8 weeks at the time). The finance manager stepped in to finish the deal. Strangely enough I never received a survey. I was hoping to leave a poor review, but didn't get a chance. Noticed later that Infiniti had the wrong home address, so the survey may have never made it to my house.
All my survey's have been through email...

To update the story: The salesman no longer works at that dealership. My wife is worried he's going to show up at our doorstep. I'm driving the JX35 and she's driving my car :(

The GM did offer me a great deal on a G37x.. hahahah.. I love how they tried to sell me a car while apologizing. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I whacked myself in the head for not telling him three times that the WHOLE survey is my report card. Not just the questions about sales.
My salesperson reiterated that even the survey on the facilities (clean bathroom, etc...) affected his rating as well... He made sure to tell me three times! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts