Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We've had our black/graphite loaded JX now for 1 month. I was wondering if you can view movies on from your iPod/iPad on the built in screens via USB? I know I could buy a composite cable and watch them that way.

Thnx.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will have to try it when I get in the car next but on your settings ==> rear display menu it allows you to choose USB as the source for video. You can actually do this by left and right screen, you can choose USB on the left screen and dvd for the right screen for example. I have not tried this yet but I am fairly confident this is the way it is suppose to work.

That reminds me -- I thought with the car in park you could watch a DVD on the navigation screen -- I tried this last night and could not get the DVD to play on the navigation screen. Has anyone tried this and if so is there so setting that needs to be changed to allow for this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've found that the USB connection doesn't work for iDevices like iPad or iPhone (I tried iPad 3 and iPhone 4). Instead I had to buy composite A/V cables and use the yellow/white/red three connectors (AUX) in the front or the back. Only the front connector seemed to allow playing on the front screen (with park and parking brake on). It is quite cool to have Netflix playing from my phone (over 3G) to one back screen, my iPad playing to another (from its stored videos) and then both rear people using headphones while I listen to XM radio in the rest of the car. Many other combinations possible too - DVD, Bluetooth streaming etc.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I made a visit to one of those aftermarket audio shops to ask if they can replace the entertainment unit in the JX with an aftermarket one without making it look any different.

They told me they also do the service to modify the stock system so that you can play videos without having to put it in park and have the emergency brake up. It's dangerous to watch videos while driving but I can see it being a popular modification.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They told me they also do the service to modify the stock system so that you can play videos without having to put it in park and have the emergency brake up. It's dangerous to watch videos while driving but I can see it being a popular modification.
There is a thing which you can buy from KPTechnologies to do that.
It seems the video and controls lock up when it senses the car is in motion. The way around it is to cut the wire that sends this signal to the nav. The downside of this is that the Nav now thinks that you are stationary and so it doesn't update the map position.
Let us know cfrp, if they can do it without this problem of killing the nav.

I wouldn't mind getting the mod to program the nav while in motion (by the passenger, of course ;) )

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It all depends on the driver. I have the safety removed on my entertainment unit. The wifey can watch a movie while I drive. I think driving while talking and smoking are as dangerous as talking on the phone or texting.

Having kids in the back is also dangerous because kids can become distracting if they misbehave. You going to kick the kids out? Throw em in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You can go to those aftermarket audio shops that help people install custom audio. If they have the hack for your model they can do it for you. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts