Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have JX for 3 months. Aside from other issues discussed on boards (nothing terrible), there has been a noticeable maple syrup smell mostly outside of the car after using it or during usage. I have brought it to the dealer and had them check twice. Last time they said they checked it thoroughly and that there are no coolant leaks. They checked for dripping (which I know is usually impossible to spot) and said they looked at hoses and valves. The service attendant suggested it could just be the normal smell coming from gasoline additives and to possibly change brands. I know that’s probably not it. Even if it made sense, we’ve used more than one brand.

What do you think I should do now? They assured me there is no problem to worry about. However, I’m concerned it might be a problem down the road. Even if it will be covered, I don’t want to have to deal with it. Also, should I be concerned that my garage is being filled with toxic fumes every day?

Thanks for any input. These boards are great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually occasionally smell this as well when I first bought the car. I was wondering if the coolent overflow bottle had some sort of venting that causes this smell to be emitted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the smell. Very faint, but is more noticeable on hot (90+) days. No leaks, but, the odor is definitely obvious. Usually a slight breeze and car is idling. (stuck in traffic or waiting in parking lot) Driver side window open. When Parked in garage after smelling, no odor is noticeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little less than 4k. They keep telling me it's nothing but I have it at the dealer again. Hopefully, cool weather doesn't mask it until next summer.

Whats the milage on you JX? The only time i recall hearing about a smell like this was when there was a similar small due to a faulty catalytic converter. After it was replaced the smell went away. Of course this was on another vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
*Bump*
my JX35 is 8 months old and has 8K miles (12K KM) on it - and I still smell this!! I also still have the judder... Supper unimpressed with Infiniti, this will certainly be my one and only purchase of their products...

Anyone had a resolution on the burning coolant / antifreeze problem?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I've never had the smell as described and have the older model so there isn't a judder issue. I'd take the car back and make them fix it. Sounds like its one with the transmission torque converter issue. Infiniti will take care of it on warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.