Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello JX owners, my family and I are looking for a new SUV, we've already nailed it down to the QX60 hybrid and the Volvo XC60.
Which one do you guys think is better for a family of 4? I know you really can't compare them, qx60 being a 7 seater and the Volvo being a 5 seater.
But while I was comparing them, I noticed the QX60 is not much bigger than the volvo. But I know we will rarely use the backseats on the Infiniti.
I would love to hear your opinions on this because I am having trouble deciding between the 2 cars.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
When my wife and I were starting to research a luxury car two years ago, we looked at the Volvo, all the German cars and all Japanese SUV's in the class. We had a 2010 Armada and a 2001 Mercedes M class to trade in. The Armada was wonderful, but large and loved gas. The Mercedes was a well built car, but expensive to maintain. After looking at the comps, we ruled out all others except the JX. The Volvo was nice, but a bit behind in technology. The BMW and Mercedes didn't have the passenger capacity and were in my opinion, overpriced and weren't as updated at the time. I loved Lexus and Acura, but didn't feel as comfortable with head and leg room.

We've owned seven Nissan vehicles over the years and never had a problem with any of them. I was actually targeting the new Pathfinder at the time, but it wasn't going to be out for months. When the JX came out, it was everything we wanted. It had better technology than the competitors, drove very nice, got decent gas milage and gave us the ability to carry seven passengers but also with the rear seats up, provided plenty of cargo space.

What I like most about Infiniti, is that you do get excellent customer service and a loaner when your car is being serviced. The provide the Infiniti Connection and Personal Assistant which is similar to On-Star. The back-up collision intervention is incredible and a great safety feature. I'm spoiled with all the technology (automatic braking, lane departure intervention, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control, navigation, rain sensor wipers, butt warmers and butt coolers, heated steering wheel, etc.) and use them all the time. Also, if you need service and an Infiniti dealership isn't close by, Nissan can service your vehicle (its less expensive). Infiniti still handles warranty work but if need be, you can get authorization from them in an emergency.

As you can tell, I'm partial to Nissan & Infiniti. There are folks that have had issues with the JX or QX, but from what I can tell, serious issues are rare. By far, its the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I have 25,000 trouble free miles on the JX, get 20 mpg mixed driving and 24.5 mph highway. We took an 8,500 mile cross country trip last year and really enjoyed the drive. Years ago I worked part time for a very large car rental company and drove every brand you can imagine. I was so disappointed with all the domestic brands and the luxury manufacturers. Their quality then was poor, and from my research, things haven't changed much over the years. The only cars I liked then were Nissan, Toyota and Volvo.

For the money, I still think the Infiniti JX and QX60 are a great value as compared to the European counterparts. You should review YouTube video reviews on these cars, as well as those you are considering. Consumer Reports, Edmonds, Kelly Blue Book, AutoGuide are a good place to start. Fast Lane has a couple characters that do a real good job testing cars and provide what I think is pretty unbiased constructive criticism. Also, I do recommend looking the dealerships that you are considering on Yelp, Google, and also check out the dealership's feedback to see what customer's are saying.

Best wishes on your search. Test drive the living day lights out of everything you are considering and really give the special technology features a run for their money to make sure they meet your expectations. And if you can afford it, don't scrimp on accessories and features to save a buck. Its harder to add some of the real nice features at a later date.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we went through our decision making process we looked at 2 row SUVs like the Lexus RX, Cadillac SRX and 3 row SUVs like the JX 35/QX 60, Buick Enclave, Acura MDX. We picked the SUVs we liked most in the 2 row and 3 row class. For us, it then came down to utility of the 3rd row vs. the ride comfort, handling of the 2 row SUV. We are a family of four as well. We went with the JX because of the utility factor. The 3rd row gives us the flexibility to carry more people or more cargo space when needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts