Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a general caution for JX owners with the Panoramic Moon Roof.

I ordered my JX and received it about 1 month ago. For the vast majority of the time, I've kept the Panoramic sun shade open, since there hasn't been a lot of reason to close it in Seattle, where our weather is pretty much perpetually crappy (we think Summer may have been canceled due to budget cuts). One evening in mid-late June, I decided to close the sun shade for the first time, and my rear passenger noticed a long line of water stain damage on the sun shade near the front edge of the Panoramic roof. The car went back to the dealer the next day, with less than 400 miles on it. After about 3 days, they discovered the leak was caused by an incomplete urethane seal on the rear glass leaving a gap about 1/4" wide in the back, passenger-side corner, letting rain water get inside the people tank. The retracted sun shade was acting as a sponge and had absorbed the water getting in through the gap where it later dried, staining the shade material. I also noticed a very high amount of moisture in the car - enough that water was condensing on the interior metal pieces in the morning when it was starting to warm up. One noteworthy place was the 4 metal hook loops in the cargo area carpet; a small amount of water had pooled in the well of the loops, and the surface of the hooks had droplets of water all over them. No wet carpet, however; just lots and lots of humidity/moisture (but not enough to mildew or mold).

My dealership has been absolutely AWESOME getting this taken care of and communicating with issues with me, although significant delays have been incurred trying to get replacement trim pieces. Infiniti even flew engineers to Seattle to investigate and scope the problem to determine if this was a one-off case, or perhaps a larger problem with an assembly robot failing to properly seal the glass. No word on what the final investigation revealed to the Infiniti Engineer, but if I get an update, I'll post a reply here. My car's been in the shop for more than 2 weeks now, primarily because replacement parts are so hard to get from Infiniti. Two pesky, pain-in-the-butt trim pieces...

So, just a mild word of caution for those with the Panoramic roof: Keep an eye on rear panoramic (non-opening) moon roof, and periodically close and examine the sun shade for water damage.

SonarTech

·
Registered
196 Posts
We normally keep the shade closed on the rear pano sunroof here in Cali and occasionally open it at dusk or night. Despite the tinting, it gets too hot here. We haven't noticed any leak with 3 car washes so far. Thanks for the heads up and good luck getting it repaired. If there are problems, call Infiniti Consumer Affairs. They go above and beyond to keep you happy, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update. As of Wednesday, 7/25/2012, they will have had my car in the shop for 1 month continuous - most of that time spent waiting for 2 replacement B-Pillar trim pieces to arrive. The glass itself was replaced (not just resealed) by Infiniti technicians that flew out to Seattle to do the analysis on the failure. That repair was completed and re-tested more than a week ago. Most of the headliner and trim is already re-installed, but for whatever reason, Infiniti just can't seem to get these two missing trim pieces to the dealership. My Service Director has even engaged the regional FOM, and still, little progress seems to be happening. When they hit the 1 month mark, my patience officially wears out and I'll start to shake the tree. I want my [email protected]!$# JX back. The G37x loaner is cramping my back. And now I'm making payments for a car I don't even have....

The pressure buildeth... More to come in a few days.

SonarTech

·
Registered
321 Posts
^Sorry to hear...I believe it is in the realm of a lemon if they dealer has to keep a car for over 30 days. Check with your state's law.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The JX was returned to me 1 day short of a month in pristine/new condition. The dealership went to great lengths to ensure that no trace of the work was visible in the car; no rattles, no smudges, nothing. It was fully detailed, top-to-bottom. No word on what the engineers have determined back at the factory (yet), but Infiniti was concerned enough about how long the repair took and the very low mileage on the car (420 miles) that they made my first month's car payment for me, in its entirety. I'm completely happy and have no concerns about the quality of work. Everything is working just fine following the repair.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You should contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs and ask for at least another month added onto the total length of the warranty or have them give you an extended warranty. The dealer just used up a month of your warranty on you.

ICA was very responsive to me when I had a significant issue with my salesman and they ended up giving me free maintenance for 3 years! I'm glad they go the repair done properly for you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
ICA was very responsive to me when I had a significant issue with my salesman and they ended up giving me free maintenance for 3 years! I'm glad they go the repair done properly for you.
what was your significant issue? About to log my multiple significant issues which includes:
- Salesmen that don't honor their agreements and back out of maintenance packages
- 20+ requests to return deposit
- Escalation to management that don't bother calling back or helping
- Selling a specific JX, then selling it to someone else
- 5+ delays
- Arguing after vehicle arrives about agreed upon accessories
- not bothering to take inventory of missing accessories after vehicle arrives
- Not offering a feature walk through
- Missing valve caps on all 4 tires
- Demanding that I pick it up immediately after arrival to make month end numbers

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
what was your significant issue? About to log my multiple significant issues which includes:
- Salesmen that don't honor their agreements and back out of maintenance packages
- 20+ requests to return deposit
- Escalation to management that don't bother calling back or helping
- Selling a specific JX, then selling it to someone else
- 5+ delays
- Arguing after vehicle arrives about agreed upon accessories
- not bothering to take inventory of missing accessories after vehicle arrives
- Not offering a feature walk through
- Missing valve caps on all 4 tires
- Demanding that I pick it up immediately after arrival to make month end numbers
Wow. If that's all true, that's seriously f'd up. I'd be interested to hear the MD's story too.
MD, if you have Bay Area friends looking for a dramatically better experience, I'd be happy to take good care of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow - I am so glad I found this forum! I bought my JX35 from a location 5 hours away because the local one did not have USAA buying services ( I did go to them first). I noticed a stain on my moon roof interior a couple of months ago. Today was my third visit to the dealer and we went from 1. it is your fault because you park under pine trees 2. there is nothing wrong and we did a water test and cleaned your roof area and cleaned the stain some. 3. Basically it is your fault (equated it to a scratch in a parking lot you did not see being made).

I work for myself and have lost a lot of time and still have a roof stain, no answer and a car that smells mildewy. On the way out of the dealer today, I showed him this forum. He took me more seriously. But did explain it would cost them money as I did not buy it from there. I think I will have to call the Infiniti Consumer Affairs number tomorrow to get some resolve. Service told me they would call me by 5 today as they were not sure the glass label on the moon roof was one they had seen before. Any advice welcome.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Wow - I am so glad I found this forum! I bought my JX35 from a location 5 hours away because the local one did not have USAA buying services ( I did go to them first). I noticed a stain on my moon roof interior a couple of months ago. Today was my third visit to the dealer and we went from 1. it is your fault because you park under pine trees 2. there is nothing wrong and we did a water test and cleaned your roof area and cleaned the stain some. 3. Basically it is your fault (equated it to a scratch in a parking lot you did not see being made).

I work for myself and have lost a lot of time and still have a roof stain, no answer and a car that smells mildewy. On the way out of the dealer today, I showed him this forum. He took me more seriously. But did explain it would cost them money as I did not buy it from there. I think I will have to call the Infiniti Consumer Affairs number tomorrow to get some resolve. Service told me they would call me by 5 today as they were not sure the glass label on the moon roof was one they had seen before. Any advice welcome.
Infiniti also has a Facebook page and they tend to post items daily. I'm sure you'd get someone's attention if the Consumer Affairs Department doesn't take care of you. There are a lot of people viewing the FB site and I'm sure they don't want bad publicity. If the dealership has a FB page, that might be a place to visit also if they don't take care of you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a similar problem where a drain hose in the vicinity of the sunroof disconnected and we experienced some water damage to the interior of pillar on the right of the front passenger. My service department quickly found the issue, reconnected the drain hose, cleaned the water stain, and I was on my way. I felt they handled it professionally and I left satisfied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW everyone I am so amazed and disappointed in Infiniti... I just bought a brand new 2013 JX35 and it has the SAME exact thing happening. Had the panoramic shade open for weeks, we had rain for a couple weeks, yesterday I closed the shade and a stip all water stained... UGH. Really? They couldn't get this right in 2012? BEFORE the 2013 models came off the assembly line? I am so angry right now. My car has had SO much wrong with it ... moldings falling off, a door strap that had to be replaced, alllll sorts of things and it doesn't even have 300 miles on it! and now THIS? I am so angry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts