Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, would people who have been driving the JX share their opinion of the new safety features especially the tech. Package? Do you feel that it's working as you thought it would or as useful and practical when you bought it? Would you recommend it to me or others as a must have? Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Everything works better than I expected. This is the first luxury car we've purchased new that has all the bells and whistles on it. Now that we've experienced the features, it would be difficult to buy a future car without them. There isn't one feature that I feel is useless. Some feel that certain features are annoying, but you can disable them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with BobOB, we have a fully loaded JX and love it! The wife at first didn't want the tech package but after sleeping on it and doing the research, she decided she wanted and now absolutely loves it.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The bigger question (or the integral question) is whether you want the things in the Deluxe Touring Package. You can't get Tech w/out DT. A JX with Premium, Theatre and Drivers Assistance has almost all the options you get with DT and Tech - including almost all of the safety features. You'd only give up Lane Departure and Blind Spot Intervention (Warning comes with Driver's assistance).

So, do you want the larger wheels, better stereo, rear moonroof, cooled front seats (this is the one I love), heated 2nd row seats and advanced climate system that come with the Deluxe Touring Package.

I've had customers tell me they didn't really want/need the advanced features. Then, a week after they take delivery of the car, I call and they tell me how much they love the added features. Basically, the same sentiments as conveyed by Bob and the US Marine above. Of course, when I don't have a Deluxe Touring in stock, I tell people they're only giving up a couple of features by taking the Prem/Theatre/Driver Assist version that I have on the lot. :cool::eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was not happy with having to buy the Deluxe touring package. The premium theater system shouldn't have been on a luxury car. The panoramic roof should have been truly panoramic.

The minor annoyance I have is only when a car ahead slows down to turn into a lane the JX starts braking based on the DCA. The JX keeps braking even after the car has turned into the side road and the road ahead is clear. Its not a smooth transition from the braking to returning to speed. You have to experience it to understand it.
I suppose the DCA, etc is best used on the freeway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
quickswoosh - I agree with you about the DCA and someone turning in front of you. It makes me realize that I am probably following too closely though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quickswoosh - I agree with you about the DCA and someone turning in front of you. It makes me realize that I am probably following too closely though.
How close is close? Like a car length, couple car lengths? Does the DCA still do the braking if the car is 3 away and trying to turn OR is it only when close? From what I understand DCA locks onto a car in front of you and you have the option of following either 1,2, or 3 car lengths behind and also on speed. So I didn't get your point regarding following too closely, doesn't the DCA automatically control the distance or correct me if I didn't understand how DCA works. Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 1/2/3 car setting works for the Intelligent Cruise Control.

If DCA is on and you have not set cruise control, the car will automatically brake if the car in front of you brakes (I've noticed that this is a function of the deceleration of the car in front rather than the distance). If the car in front brakes too hard, the JX will brake really hard, too. And the JX keeps braking even after the car in front of you has turned away from your lane.

There is a setting in the menu (according to the manual) to change this. Unfortunately the menu shown in the manual is missing in the car menu.
Page 2-16 in the manual . (Forward > Distance - Long / Short )
https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowners/content/manualsandguides/JX/2013/2013-jx35-owner-manual.pdf

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree wiht the others. I love the safety features. But DCA can be annoying sometimes. My solution is notdrive on the right lane, if possible. DCA is very useful in stop and go traffic on highways.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Love my fully loaded Jx but the DCA did need time to get used to. First time the car came to a full stop with my foot still on the accelerator kinda freaked me out. The bells and whistles are worth the money. You get a lot more car and technology compared to the MDX, Q7, and GL. You do lose power tho compared to those 3 vehs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love my fully loaded Jx but the DCA did need time to get used to. First time the car came to a full stop with my foot still on the accelerator kinda freaked me out. The bells and whistles are worth the money. You get a lot more car and technology compared to the MDX, Q7, and GL. You do lose power tho compared to those 3 vehs
Yeah I don't find the power lacking in the JX. Just want to see if the safety features work as advertised. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1/2/3 car setting works for the Intelligent Cruise Control.

If DCA is on and you have not set cruise control, the car will automatically brake if the car in front of you brakes (I've noticed that this is a function of the deceleration of the car in front rather than the distance). If the car in front brakes too hard, the JX will brake really hard, too. And the JX keeps braking even after the car in front of you has turned away from your lane.

There is a setting in the menu (according to the manual) to change this. Unfortunately the menu shown in the manual is missing in the car menu.
Page 2-16 in the manual . (Forward > Distance - Long / Short )
https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowners/content/manualsandguides/JX/2013/2013-jx35-owner-manual.pdf
Thanks for the write up and the link..so this missing menu option should just be a software update, right? Have you pointed this out to the dealer and their reply?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally I liked the MDX looks better than the JX. I got the JX for the tech on it. Without it, you might be better off getting an MDX or the new Pathfinder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do need the tech. Which is why the JX is on top of my list. About the missing menu option that you spoke about, did you speak to the dealer about that?

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have the Deluxe Touring and the Tech package, so our JX if fully optioned.

The Deluxe Touring is well worth the costs. Our kids always complained about the lack of 2nd row seat heating when we went skiing with our previous MDX, so now they will have no complaints. The cooled front seats are a godsend for long drives. I did a 5.5 hour SF to LA drive, then back 2 nights later, by myself, and after each drive, I felt refreshed and ready for more. The intelligent cruise control helped take the fatigue out as well. The pano roof is nice, but with the California sun, I may end up putting another layer of tint on the glass. The 15 speaker sound system sounds beautiful. The only part of the package that has not worked properly all the time is the rain-sensing wipers. Occasionally as we pass under shadows such as an under pass or tree branches it will wipe unexpectedly. I'll just leave it not in auto until there is actual rain, then switch it to auto.

The tech package is pricey but works well. I've tested lane departure prevention and it does pull you back into your lane if you drift out. The blind spot intervention also works to flash and beep if you put your turn signal on while a car is in the blind spot. It does freak out the other driver though, when you put on the turn signal! The pre-crash seat belt tightening I will leave to someone else to test whether is works as advertised or not. So my impression is that the tech is pricey, but averaged over the life of the car or your lease, it isn't that much more, and it's a small price to pay if it prevents just one accident for you. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have the Deluxe Touring and the Tech package, so our JX if fully optioned.

The Deluxe Touring is well worth the costs. Our kids always complained about the lack of 2nd row seat heating when we went skiing with our previous MDX, so now they will have no complaints. The cooled front seats are a godsend for long drives. I did a 5.5 hour SF to LA drive, then back 2 nights later, by myself, and after each drive, I felt refreshed and ready for more. The intelligent cruise control helped take the fatigue out as well. The pano roof is nice, but with the California sun, I may end up putting another layer of tint on the glass. The 15 speaker sound system sounds beautiful. The only part of the package that has not worked properly all the time is the rain-sensing wipers. Occasionally as we pass under shadows such as an under pass or tree branches it will wipe unexpectedly. I'll just leave it not in auto until there is actual rain, then switch it to auto.

The tech package is pricey but works well. I've tested lane departure prevention and it does pull you back into your lane if you drift out. The blind spot intervention also works to flash and beep if you put your turn signal on while a car is in the blind spot. It does freak out the other driver though, when you put on the turn signal! The pre-crash seat belt tightening I will leave to someone else to test whether is works as advertised or not. So my impression is that the tech is pricey, but averaged over the life of the car or your lease, it isn't that much more, and it's a small price to pay if it prevents just one accident for you. :)
Thank you for sharing the exp. I agree with the if it saves 1 accident bit, in fact I wrote the same thing before. Few questions though:
1. How far out does one drift before the LDI kicks in? Does one side of your car has to be completely out of the lane or is it when the wheels are on the lane markers? I only hope that the intervention is not too late to avoid an accident.
2. Does the LDI system work with the yellow line on one side too? Because I read somewhere, maybe the manual, not sure, that it only works with white lane markers?
3. How hard does this intervention work. So if I try to change lanes without giving the signal and there's a car in the blind spot, and we are both going at almost similar speed. Also, there is a car that I am tailing going slower than me and I intend to overtake it by switching lanes. Now, I am sure that if I increase my speed I can cut in front of the other car and before I hit the car that I am tailing. Lets assume that i switch the DCA off. So I accelerate hard and then try to cut in front of the other car. But the thing is that I guessed incorrectly and the other car is still in my blind spot. So, now the LDI kicks in and tries to push my car back into my lane but bummer my speed is already too much and I know that if I get back into my lane I am gonna hit the slower car in front. How hard do I have to yank my steering in order to overcome this LDI? Or is this just too hypothetical?
4. This one is about the around view camera. Does it work in the dark in an unlit lot? Maybe I can get light front and rear from the head and brake lights but what about the sides, can I see what's on the sides without too much ambient light or does it only work in daylight?

Sorry for so many questions and you don't have to answer all of them too :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
1. How far out does one drift before the LDI kicks in? Does one side of your car has to be completely out of the lane or is it when the wheels are on the lane markers? I only hope that the intervention is not too late to avoid an accident.

There is only a slight nudge. It won't really prevent the car from eventually getting out of the lane. It kicks in when its very close to the lane marker (before it crosses).
After driving the car for a few hundred miles, you'll forget about the system and learn to drive with it than drive around it.
It best works for what its designed for - which is to wake you up if you doze off or to alert you if you were texting on the phone and the car started straying off the lane.
It is not designed to keep you in lane with hands free driving. I have a feeling they didn't design this into the car intentionally.

2. Does the LDI system work with the yellow line on one side too? Because I read somewhere, maybe the manual, not sure, that it only works with white lane markers?

It has worked with yellow lines. I've also read it in the manual that it doesn't. Again, you can't really depend on it. The car is not designed to drive itself.

3. How hard does this intervention work. So if I try to change lanes without giving the signal and there's a car in the blind spot, and we are both going at almost similar speed. Also, there is a car that I am tailing going slower than me and I intend to overtake it by switching lanes. Now, I am sure that if I increase my speed I can cut in front of the other car and before I hit the car that I am tailing. Lets assume that i switch the DCA off. So I accelerate hard and then try to cut in front of the other car. But the thing is that I guessed incorrectly and the other car is still in my blind spot. So, now the LDI kicks in and tries to push my car back into my lane but bummer my speed is already too much and I know that if I get back into my lane I am gonna hit the slower car in front. How hard do I have to yank my steering in order to overcome this LDI? Or is this just too hypothetical?

You can easily override the LDI. Infact if you are going into a lane, you'll hardly notice the LDI. Its most noticeable when your car starts slowly drifting into the other lane.
For your situation, you'll feel a slight tug on the steering and beeps (this is also designed to be subtle so that drivers don't panic and do something stupid). If you hold the wheel (which isn't difficult to do) the car will still keep turning.
If you had the DCA on, you'd first feel the accelerator pedal push back. This is somewhat firm and it takes a little more effort to override the force. But you can still continue to accelerate if you choose to.

4. This one is about the around view camera. Does it work in the dark in an unlit lot? Maybe I can get light front and rear from the head and brake lights but what about the sides, can I see what's on the sides without too much ambient light or does it only work in daylight?

You can't see much through the side cameras at night.
The screen on the JX has a low contrast ratio compared to the older G my brother used to drive. Its not even clear with a lot of sunlight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you quickswoosh. Bummer about the side view camera, I think that they should come up with an infra red system to see at night. So night parking using these cameras is basically useless!

Is there any other sensor or radar in the car that alerts you if about to hit the kerb while parallel parking?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Cooled seats are the best invention ever. First time I sat in cooled seats I was blown away. Didn't want to get off them. No more sweat backs! :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also heard complaints about the beep being too low and not heard if the sound system is playing or a conversation is going on. Is that true?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts