1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
86 Posts
By airbag light problem, what do you mean? Is it that an adult is in the passenger seat and the "airbag off" light is illuminated?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Our JX had the light come on when a passenger was sitting in the front seat. It usually came on if the person in the right seat opened the door and stepped out for a moment while the car was running. It came on once while driving then went off after several minutes. This problem has not happened in over 30 days now. I'm wondering if the seat sensor needed to be seated and now that we have close to 3,000 miles on it that the sensor is now making proper contact.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We've had passengers weighing between 110 to 180 lbs and have never had an issue with the passenger airbag turning off because it did not sense the passenger. 5800 miles now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.
Adult is sitting in the front passenger seat and airbag light is on.Meaning airbag will not inflate in emergency.

This is random issue and sometimes light is on for 20-30 mins and sometimes it goes off after 5-10mins.

It is exactly as in the vidoes I posted the link for on youtube and it looks like somebody has already made a complaint to NHTSA about this.
=======>>

There is an intermitent problem with the functioning of the passenger airbag. Approximately 50% of the time that there is a passenger sitting in the passenger seat the passenger airbag is turned off. These are adult passengers with weights from 125lbs to 185lbs and heights 5ft 7in to 6ft 6in. Infiniti engineers have been unable to fix the problem. The passenger airbags should be switched on all the time with adult passengers therefore this is a serious safety issue. As all the passenger seat sensors have been checked and are ok this raises serious questions about the integrity of the computer systems controlling the car.

=====

·
Registered
321 Posts
Interesting...I hope they address this!

Yes.
Adult is sitting in the front passenger seat and airbag light is on.Meaning airbag will not inflate in emergency.

This is random issue and sometimes light is on for 20-30 mins and sometimes it goes off after 5-10mins.

It is exactly as in the vidoes I posted the link for on youtube and it looks like somebody has already made a complaint to NHTSA about this.
=======>>

There is an intermitent problem with the functioning of the passenger airbag. Approximately 50% of the time that there is a passenger sitting in the passenger seat the passenger airbag is turned off. These are adult passengers with weights from 125lbs to 185lbs and heights 5ft 7in to 6ft 6in. Infiniti engineers have been unable to fix the problem. The passenger airbags should be switched on all the time with adult passengers therefore this is a serious safety issue. As all the passenger seat sensors have been checked and are ok this raises serious questions about the integrity of the computer systems controlling the car.

=====

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Anyone else having this issue? Sounds suspiciously like user error to me. Do your passengers sit straight in their seats? Recline toward the door? Slouch way down? Recline the seat a long way back? Any of those things could possible mess up the sensor.

If others are having problems, then I take back the user error comment. That is assuming the dealer checked out the sensors and they're working right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone else having this issue? Sounds suspiciously like user error to me. Do your passengers sit straight in their seats? Recline toward the door? Slouch way down? Recline the seat a long way back? Any of those things could possible mess up the sensor.

If others are having problems, then I take back the user error comment. That is assuming the dealer checked out the sensors and they're working right.
Yes, when my son is in the front (bigger than me...5'7" and over 100 lbs) it tends to go on from time to time but it is when he has leaned forward to change radio, turned around to help little sister, bend down to take of soccer shoe. It had me concerned but manual says light will come on if passenger isn't in proper position so I figured that was all.

I will have to check next time I am in passenger seat. I am 5'2" and 100 lbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been happening with passenger sitting normally with no bending and movement at all and also it light stays for even 20-30 mins while driving.

Infiniti enginners are unable to find issue so far.I dont expect this to happen with person weighing 150lb and over 5'6".

I must mention, it is happening randomly for 30% of the time.Most of the time I dont have anybody in the passenger seat though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What has the dealership tried to do so far? I'd get them to replace the seat or the sensor inside the seat. This is a smelly lawsuit waiting to happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have been trying to calibrate the sensors number of times with no luck. Even Infiniti engineer looked at it apart from dealership.

They are telling me it's working correctly which I don’t agree to.

Please advise what else can I do and where to complain.

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

If somebody else is facing this issue please share your experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes absolutely. Ours seems to blink with me in the seat. To respond to the user error question-I'd say not in my case, I'm freaky about car passenger safety, so I sit upright and flat against the seat. Properly positioned.

I'm 140/5'6'' and will be reporting it on the NHSTA website. Additionally, I'll be calling Infiniti and the dealer.

It's occurred since purchase, but less frequently now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.

I have contacted one other person I know who owns JX and he has seen it as well but less frequent.It seems to be a bigger issue than just my car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like your dealership needs to drive your JX for a few days so they can replicate the problem. I would also make a video of the issue when you see it happen. video the airbag light being on and then at the same time video the person in the seat. Take that to the dealership and tell them you don't want the vehicle back until it's repaired. The probably need to investigate the sensor in the seat and all connections. I would not drive the vehicle w/ a passenger in it until it's fixed. Have people sit in the other rows of seats if the light comes on in the meantime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice.

I have given them number of videos and pictures already.They are telling me it is working as designed which is crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. Light on for the passenger side indicating the bag is off when an adult is sitting there. The problem is intermittent. My dealership "reset" the light and that seemed to help for a little while, ie we didn't notice the light being on. Now its back. At my first service ( August 14) it was due to be checked. The had engineers from Smyrna, Tenn come down and spent the day monitoring whatever and no result or recommendation. After a slightly salty customer survey, our tech called and said they were in the process of analyzing the data (?????). I told him I was concerned about the airbag working at all and he commented he didn't think the engineers would have let me take it back if it was unsafe. We'll see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue (1000 km on my jx so far) Haven't taken it for servicing yet; will double up this item with the fuel gauge recall. Safety concern for me as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ummm yea, I hope this issue is resolved as it is a safety concern.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts