Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have an idea how long it takes a transport hauler to transport a vehicle from the east to west coast? Can anyone provide details on their process?

We purchased a JX 5 weeks ago, singed the contracts and have a VIN. Our dealership was able to find one that was just shipped from the Plant to an east coast dealership. They secured it for us and had to hire a transport company to deliver to their facility. Had we known how long it was going to take, we could have flown out and driven the car home ourselves. Our dealership has been great to work with, but it seems like they are being kept in the dark regarding an arrival date. We are just curious to see if anyone has ever dealt with this before.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That seems too long. I once transported a car from Boston to Houston and it took only five days. Granted you are in west cost, it may take another week. I'd say three weeks Max.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does seem long. Any thoughts what could be causing the delay? If we didn't have signed documents a VIN, and if the dealership hadn't already sold our trade-in, I would suspect our car was sold from under us. At least we are driving on the Dealer's loaners while we are waiting. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
166 Posts
transport companies often wait to fill the truck before heading to the destination, especially when traveling from east to west coast. I'm sure the dealer didn't tell you that.... If they were only transporting your vehicle it would have cost thousands of dollars to transport the car (like as much as ten!) Have the dealer check into it again, and if it hasn't started working it's way west, go pick it up. The issue is that since it's east coast, the JX may be on the way, but stopping at points along the way to pick up or deliver other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Generally they use rail to transport cars from one side of the country to the other. It can take 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
transport companies often wait to fill the truck before heading to the destination, especially when traveling from east to west coast. I'm sure the dealer didn't tell you that.... If they were only transporting your vehicle it would have cost thousands of dollars to transport the car (like as much as ten!) Have the dealer check into it again, and if it hasn't started working it's way west, go pick it up. The issue is that since it's east coast, the JX may be on the way, but stopping at points along the way to pick up or deliver other vehicles.
Yup stopping and doing multiple shipments to different locations is probably what is causing the delay. And they are probably zig zagging their way across to do drops instead of everything being a long the way.

Wow, you would really drive your JX coast to coast? That is hardcore.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yup stopping and doing multiple shipments to different locations is probably what is causing the delay. And they are probably zig zagging their way across to do drops instead of everything being a long the way.

Wow, you would really drive your new JX coast to coast? That is hardcore.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Kinda what I thought so just good to get input. The scary thing about it is, if this is what the transport is doing, gives more chance of car having any damage when it arrives. Here's hoping it is in one piece! :) One thing for sure is we will be checking it over with a fine tooth comb!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it did take a train to the original dealership it was scheduled for. They couldn't catch it in time at factory to re-route from East coast train to West coast train. Now it's on carrier to finish journey. I think that is the slow boat to the West coast! :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Most auto transport companies do a evaluation of the car before and after, they usually have insurance for any damage done to the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still no car after 6 weeks and just found out it has been sitting at a New Hampshire dealership and just now got picked up. They said one transport company lost their insurance and the second one the driver had a DUI!! Great, guess our car will have a story to tell by the time it gets here. Just made our first payment on a vehicle we don't have. First time for that one!:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
How would you make a payment if you don have the car? You signed the paperwork and financed with Infiniti without the vehicle there?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How would you make a payment if you don have the car? You signed the paperwork and financed with Infiniti without the vehicle there?
Yes, the dealership would not pay to have the car transfered from the east coast to the west coast without a signed contract in place. This was the only one at the time that was fully loaded in the color we wanted. All finance paperwork was done and we got our first statement with payment due this week. They said they do it all the time. Never done it myself but the vin number is on our contract and we financed through Infiniti, so figured it has to be okay. The original date to get the car was 3 weeks which has now turned into almost 7 weeks. We have had a loaner from the dealer the whole time as they also wanted our trade in at the time we signed the contract, which they sold in the first week. Maybe some dealers do it this way so they don't get burned after spending the money to bring a car in from another area? Not sure....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe but it shouldnt even cost them that much to bring a car across the country,, of your near a railway maybe like 1000$ tops?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to know. No choice in the matter though unfortunantly. As far as I am concerned at this point, anything they pay is too much for the time it is taking to get our car here!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts