Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some great news about the Infiniti M35h. It's now the fastest-accelerating hybrid! This just goes to show people who think hybrids can't be fast that they can be! I bet the M35h is a lot of fun to drive around.

Infiniti's M35h runs at Britain's Santa Pod Raceway. Image: Infiniti

Mention the phrase “hybrid car” to most enthusiasts, and their eyes glaze over before they nod off to sleep. By definition, hybrid cars contain two propulsion systems, which makes them heavy and overly complex. Worse, most are built simply to get you from point “A” to point “B” using as little fuel as possible, so typical hybrids are slow, lumbering beasts with the acceleration of moped and the handling of an economy car, Carrying a load of bricks on the hood.

Infiniti wants to dispel that myth, so to commemorate the European launch of its M35h hybrid sedan, the automaker brought the car to Britain’s Santa Pod Raceway. There, officials from the Guinness Book of World Records certified the M35h as the “world’s fastest accelerating full hybrid.”

How fast was it? Fast enough to run from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 5.5 seconds, on its way to an average quarter mile time of 13.9 seconds, at just over 100 miles per hour. That’s not too shabby, especially when you consider that the M35h gets rated at 27 mpg city and 32 mpg highway; in fact, the M35h is quicker than Infiniti’s other six-cylinder M Series sedan, the 3.7-liter M37.

The M35h uses a high-torque electric motor in conjunction with its V-6 engine, so the combined power output is 350 horsepower. Electric motors make maximum torque at zero RPM, while internal combustion engines do not. Marrying the two, if done properly, ensures the best possible performance across all engine speeds. Even though hybrids are heavier than their gasoline-only counterparts, batteries and controller units can be positioned to offset the weight of the engine and transmission.

No one has built a no-compromise, all out hybrid sports car to date, but the Infiniti M35h is a step in the right direction. In fact, the Infiniti may be the first hybrid I’m looking forward to driving, because I’m pretty sure I can improve on that 13.9 time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Infiniti M35h Sets Guinness World Record for the Fastest Hybrid

Infiniti already claims the new M35h is the world’s quickest hybrid with a 0-62 mph time of 5.5 seconds. Now the Japanese luxury automaker can add one more performance credential to the car’s list: the Guinness World Record for the fastest hybrid.

The certification was given after auto journalist Tim Pollard of CAR Magazine piloted the luxury hybrid sedan down the 1/4 mile drag course at the UK’s Santa Pod strip, setting an average time between the runs of 13.9031. Pollard’s best run clocked just 13.8960, with all trap speeds above 100 mph.

The M35h is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine making 302-hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, mated to an electric motor that adds 67-hp more. Plus, with all this performance, Infiniti claims a 27-mpg city rating and 29-mpg highway.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a surprised considering Nissan owns Infiniti and the Nissan GT-R is one of the fastest cars out their and much faster than some cars worth 2x or 3x as much.
It was only a matter of time till Infiniti or Nissan had developed a super fast hybrid.

I hope Infiniti doesn't think their done here cause I know BMW and/or Mercedes is probably working on something serious to compete with the M35h

1 - 3 of 3 Posts