Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Infiniti's JX 35 big SUV rejects some of the brand's signature attributes, such as rear-wheel drive and taut, crisp handling. Is Infiniti in danger of diluting its credentials?

Perhaps, but it might not matter.

Edmunds.com Vice Chairman Jeremy Anwyl says, "Technology has made some of the previous distinctions – like rear-wheel drive – of luxury vehicles irrelevant. It's allowed carmakers the freedom to give up on tradition and evolve luxury brands. These days it's more important to stress execution over sticking to labels of what luxury vehicles used to be."

A full report on the JX 35, new to the line and on sale just since March, is in this week's Test Drive column.

The traitorous JX uses a front-drive chassis, with optional, dumbed-down all-wheel drive, and CVT (continuously variable-ratio automatic transmission) gearbox -- things Infiniti previously has rejected.

It has used rear-drive layouts with optional, very-smart AWD that has anticipatory logic to tell it when to kick in well before any wheels lose grip.

And it has used conventional, super-sweet-shifting automatic transmissions -- not the CVT that's something you'd find in a Nissan, the mainstream brand, not Infiniti, the luxury, high-performance brand.

Infiniti's not worried. It believes the JX 35 is such a bull's-eye that it'll be the second-best-selling Infiniti, behind the G series cars.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-reject-hot-selling-test-drive/1#.T5VwwFFSRqw

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the JX hits a segment that Infiniti was missing.... Frankly, if the JX rode stiff like the FX, I wouldn't have considered it. I'm not the average buyer as I will use this for work (I carry large bags full of medical products), but I chose the JX for it's relaxed ride, and cavernous storage area. I really like the layout of the dash, and the fit and finish is excellent. Infiniti is going to sell lots of JX's to moms who would have never considered buying an Infiniti in the past......

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The JX is going to be popular among those who find the FX too small. I love the FX but it is a bit too small for large families or someone that needs that extra storage space or seat space. JX is perfect for those.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I already see the JX stealing away Escalade customers and we all know how good and popular the Escalade is. At the moment it wont have much popularity but as people see them more the hype will get crazy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts