Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2011 Infiniti M56 luxury performance sedan

Will use four- and six-cylinder engines instead

According to a recent report, Infiniti is preparing to phase out their V8 engines.

Speaking with Motoring.com.au, Infiniti president Johan de Nysschen said "I don't think any car that is on Infiniti drawing boards from here onwards we should expect a V8 to be included in that plan."

Nissan executive vice president Andy Palmer went on to explain "I am afraid [U.S.] CAFÉ regulations and emission regulations around the world make the development of V8s, as part of a new family of engines, almost impossible." However, he went on to say "[A] V8 does not determine performance, F1 has gone V6 for example. You can get the performance out of a V6 or an I4 and you can get the fuel consumption out of it."

Despite promises of high-performance engines, Nysschen predicted the horsepower wars will be coming to an end as he said "The 600 horsepower engines that you see today, that are regrettably rare, - those are the real top performance cars right now - will become extinct."

To ensure customers have happy once the V8 engines are gone, Infiniti will turn to forced induction and hybrid technology. We can also expect the company will focus on reducing weight and improving aerodynamics.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/1120905...gn=Feed:+worldcarfans/Jxfz+(WorldCarFans.com)

·
Registered
321 Posts
All big engines will come to an end, but dont expect it to be overnight. Demand will also dictate sales...look how the G25 went. The demand of smaller engine against luxury spenders isnt there.

2011 Infiniti M56 luxury performance sedan

Will use four- and six-cylinder engines instead

According to a recent report, Infiniti is preparing to phase out their V8 engines.

Speaking with Motoring.com.au, Infiniti president Johan de Nysschen said "I don't think any car that is on Infiniti drawing boards from here onwards we should expect a V8 to be included in that plan."

Nissan executive vice president Andy Palmer went on to explain "I am afraid [U.S.] CAFÉ regulations and emission regulations around the world make the development of V8s, as part of a new family of engines, almost impossible." However, he went on to say "[A] V8 does not determine performance, F1 has gone V6 for example. You can get the performance out of a V6 or an I4 and you can get the fuel consumption out of it."

Despite promises of high-performance engines, Nysschen predicted the horsepower wars will be coming to an end as he said "The 600 horsepower engines that you see today, that are regrettably rare, - those are the real top performance cars right now - will become extinct."

To ensure customers have happy once the V8 engines are gone, Infiniti will turn to forced induction and hybrid technology. We can also expect the company will focus on reducing weight and improving aerodynamics.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/1120905...gn=Feed:+worldcarfans/Jxfz+(WorldCarFans.com)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Have you driven an M35h? Our dealership has stopped ordering M56's unless a customer specifically requests one. The hybrid performs as well as the V8 and gets mid-30's mileage. Plus it is $5K cheaper than an M56. I hope Infiniti takes the same approach with a G hybrid and JX hybrid. It would be awesome to get better performance from a car with improved fuel economy to boot.

Oh, and I don't see the V8 going away in the QX any time soon. That truck is heavy and tows a lot, it needs the HP/torque.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think infiniti's holds down the sales on their 6 cylinder cars pretty well, as far as the v8's in the m45 and so on dont really generate that much sales. For the luxury segment i dont think that a lot of people would consider v8's. As they are not economical, plus the v6 already is on the edge for fuel consumption. The vq35de motor was utilized the most in their line of vehicles. This wouldnt be a bad thing to do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sucks V8's will be phased out but left to performance vehicles. But when were able to get better gas mileage and have almost the same amount of power, it isn't that bad at all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts