Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man o' man I hope you guys don't tar and feather me here.

I've written 100% positive articles about the Infiniti JX. I've also done 2 YouTube videos praising the JX.

And I still want to buy one next year.

But man, I just hate hype.

For example, this morning I was in Alexandria, Virginia. And Passport Infiniti had a presence there (it was a street festival).

So I'm talking to a salesrep (Joey Kundler) and I told him how I probably know more about the JX than him (because of daily visits here). He laughed. He was quite cool by the way.

So anyway, we got to talking. And while we were talking I was noticing some disturbing things about the JX.

For example, the cargo area is insanely tiny. I got the same kick in the stomach when looking at buying the FX a few years ago.

I rushed to my computer (now) and tried to track down a publicity picture of the cargo area - and I found this:

2013-infiniti-JX35-trunk-space.jpg
(If you're a registered member, you can see the pic in full size by clicking on it.)

Let me be frank. That pic is HIGHLY exaggerated. I'm no photography expert but that pic has been altered someway to make it look more than twice the size it really is. I don't think 5 grocery shopping bags would fit in the cargo area with the 3rd row in the up position.

Even the panoramic moon roof was WAY smaller than the brochure pics show. Uggggg!

And as I've said in the past, there's something about the paint job that attracts dirt like crazy. I'm used to this as my new Toyota RAV 4 is the same way. My 1996 RAV 4 never got really dirty like today's car do. Yet other Infiniti cars always look clean to me... even older models. (This has nothing to do with hype... just voicing my frustration on this issue and hope Infiniti fixes this in the next run.)

Another disappointment was the back of the seats. I think I remember it being lined with carpet... and the carpet looked REALY roughed up. Weird. I understand the car was on display for a little over a day... and the back of the seats looked really worn.

And I heard that's faux wood grain paneling on the doors, dash, and center console... it's basically plastic. This plastic crap is really gettin' old. I really hope that rumor is wrong.

And speaking of plastic, what the hell is up with the JX's steering wheel? More plastic? Where's the leather?

When talking to Joey (the cool salesperson), he told me the biggest complaint about the JX was the engine noise. Interesting. I actually like the sound of the engine - to each its own, eh?

I know car manufacturers hype their cars. But I thought Infiniti was different.

Maybe I'm living in la la land.

But here's the most interesting part of this post. Joey (the cool salesguy) said his dealership has over 20 JX sitting on their lot. When I told him some on this forum still have trouble buying a JX, he said "I've got tons of inventory." Weird. I thought JXs were selling like hotcakes. Is this just more hype?

Anyhoo, if you're on the east coast here, Alexandria is a stone's throw Washington, D.C.

If you want to contact Joey (I get nothin' for the referral - just in the spirit of helping out here), his number is 703/461-1336. He works for www.passportauto.com

Bottom line: I just wished Infiniti was different than the other shysters selling cars out there. Does anyone else agree?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think you have over-thought this way too much.
This is not a top of the line luxury car- I do not expect real wood grain in everything. Sure, it would be nice.
I also think the cargo area is fine. I fit all my groceries- about 8 bags back in there- I just stack them.
My complaint is the weird acceleration- it's not solid.
My steering wheel is leather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A thought on the cargo area...The cargo area was my one hold back but we took the plunge and took delivery of ours at the end of July. We won't be able to use the third row for one of our kids when we drive to the mountains to ski this winter but day to day I have no problem. I would guess at least 5 and maybe 6 (reusable) grocery bags fit back there with room in front of them for a jug of milk or OJ. I've fit 2 large school backpacks and 2 soccer bags (ball pocket in the front of bag type) in the back as well.

We will have 3 adults and 3 kids along with luggage for two days later this month; hope to not have to put a 3rd row seat down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the cargo area in that pic matches mine. Not sure what is exaggerated there. I can fit 5 bags in there no problem. (also, the sub is removable in case you need more space). In terms of the wood...it looks real enough to me. Compare this to Honda, Toyota, VW (passat), and you will see a REAL difference.

In terms of the rear seats...mine are fine. no wear issues yet. I DO cover them and DID get the all weather mats.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree with the overthinking comment...and far too many assumptions. The real info is out there if you search.

1. The cargo area is huge for a vehicle of this size. If you're routinely putting 7 passengers inside, it's going to be tight...buy a mini-van or a Yukon XL. If you normally ship 4 - 5 people around and want the extra space for when family comes to town or the kids have a sleep-over, there's plenty of space. With the 3d row down, you have ample room for a week for the two kids to be at hockey camp...oversized bags, sticks, and all.

2. The moonroof is as big as it could be short of being a glass top. My biggest complaint about the moonroof is in the summer, the kids want it closed most of the time. I'm looking forward to cooler weather so we can enjoy the extra light.

3. I'm not sure about the paint. We have the green graphite and I can go several weeks between washes without it looking bad. It has the deep shine of other luxury brands we've owned.

4. It's real wood. Google any of the reviews of the JX and they all talk about the real maple wood.

5. My steering wheel is also leather.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a reason for the hype..... "Apples to Apples" to anything it is class...luxury/3rd row seats/MPG/price point- This vehicle cannot be beat......
You should buy whatever you will be happy with. It is good you are doing some research, and gathering info from the forum. Honestly, faux wood/real wood.. doesn't really make a difference to me. As far as the Cargo area, I think it is decent for a vehicle this size. The JX is not the size of a suburban or escalade, so what do you expect? the panoramic roof... who cares.. Really, how MUCH bigger, could it possibly look in the pics, and what would that difference equate to, in your driving experience. I do have an issue with the STEERING WHEEL..I AM DISSAPOINTED THAT YOU CANNOT TUNE UP/DOWN THROUGH YOUR RADIO STATIONS, you have to lean over to the passenger side of the center console. The steering wheel controls only scroll through presets. But I could care less if it plastic or leather. My truck stays clean.. because I take of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with the overthinking comment...and far too many assumptions. The real info is out there if you search.

1. The cargo area is huge for a vehicle of this size. If you're routinely putting 7 passengers inside, it's going to be tight...buy a mini-van or a Yukon XL. If you normally ship 4 - 5 people around and want the extra space for when family comes to town or the kids have a sleep-over, there's plenty of space. With the 3d row down, you have ample room for a week for the two kids to be at hockey camp...oversized bags, sticks, and all.
Maybe my Toyota RAV4 (I've purchased 4 of them since 1996) is spoiling me.

It has a HUGE cargo area. Now of course it only seats 5 (not 7). But the pics in the Toyota brochure pretty much match reality.

On the flip side, the pics of the cargo area of the JX have most certainly been stretched. Because when I (and my son) opened the liftgate, we both looked at each other... jaw on floor about how tiny the cargo area was. I mean WOW (and not in a good way).

What's ironic is the MiniCooper parked a few spots down had at least twice the cargo space. Yep.

It brought back the same memories of when we first looked at the cargo area of the FX50S. Again, the FX brochure had to have been manipulated to make it look WAY bigger than it is.

As a marketing guy myself, I HATE deception. There's no need for it.

Is this a deal breaker? Not for us. We're still going to get the JX next year. But that's only because there's 4 in our family. And we don't do the soccer mom taxi service. But if we did, this would be a deal breaker.

Bottom line: If you're expecting to carry 6-7 people and want to take a trip, think twice - no way you can even get a few suitcases in the JX (that I can see).

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I wish I was as cool as Joey. He clearly did a better job of selling you the car than I could have.

Oh, wait, I was busy yesterday. Selling someone a JX who loves it and drove it home with them. Her only complaint was that our store doesn't offer the same airport shuttle service and free parking that the Lexus dealer used to do for her. But we do have better coffee and we wash her car for her any time it is in the shop.

Oh, and the cargo area is bigger than the one in the MDX - the car the JX competes against. Then again, maybe I should tell customers to go look at a Mini Countryman - I'm sure that would solve all their cargo-hauling problems.

Thanks for the comic relief. My life would be less full without your amazing discoveries.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a reason for the hype..... "Apples to Apples" to anything it is class...luxury/3rd row seats/MPG/price point- This vehicle cannot be beat......
You should buy whatever you will be happy with. It is good you are doing some research, and gathering info from the forum. Honestly, faux wood/real wood.. doesn't really make a difference to me. As far as the Cargo area, I think it is decent for a vehicle this size. The JX is not the size of a suburban or escalade, so what do you expect? the panoramic roof... who cares.. Really, how MUCH bigger, could it possibly look in the pics, and what would that difference equate to, in your driving experience. I do have an issue with the STEERING WHEEL..I AM DISSAPOINTED THAT YOU CANNOT TUNE UP/DOWN THROUGH YOUR RADIO STATIONS, you have to lean over to the passenger side of the center console. The steering wheel controls only scroll through presets. But I could care less if it plastic or leather. My truck stays clean.. because I take of it.

Darling, you can tune up and down through your radio stations. The little lever thing on the left side of your steering wheel- you push it up and down(not in and out)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Darling, you can tune up and down through your radio stations. The little lever thing on the left side of your steering wheel- you push it up and down(not in and out)
That doesn't work. It only goes through the presets. Unless you are referring to AM/FM radio. We only listen to satellite radio, and like to scroll through each station. that doesn't work through the steering wheel controls. you can only go through presets.., or if you press and hold, it will jump to different categories.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Really OP, this post is a joke. First off, when comparing vehicles...you should use a list based on same comparable vehicles, price point, brand, category, etc. A Rav4 with 3 rows is a joke compared to a JX and you definitely can't add a 3rd row. Secondly, I am not a photography expert, but the pictures are as is and should be used in conjuction with dimensions as speced if you are concern with true specs. The specs do not lie compared to a MDX, Q7, etc. Third, almost all manufacturers use some form plastic/synthetic product for dash components regardless of price point...some just look better than others (the JX being the better). Bottomline, the JX does the job at objected luxury mid-size category at a very competitive price point compared to its competitor. If you really want the space for that 5th grocery bag...there is the QX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts