Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm moderating this and the QX60 Forum, I thought I'd share a current concern brought up by one of the members. Below I've copied the original comment, followed by a paragraph that one of our viewers posted (the item was found on the Infiniti Connection Information site). Today I sent a request to Infiniti via Facebook to see if I can get them to kick the issue up to Corporate for some answers. Stay tuned!

Original Post:
I have not seen this posted so thought I would ask. We have a new 2014 QX60 and while my wife was trying the SOS button, she was told that this is not a guaranteed service! She thought that the fee after a year was a lot to pay and the rep said that the service is via AT&T 2G network. This 2G service from AT&T will be going away and Infinity has no idea if they will be able to continue this service at all. The dealer made a big deal out of this. Has anyone else heard anything about it and is this service worth it anyway?

Follow-up Comment: Excerpt from Infiniti Website
December 31, 2016 is the announced end date from AT&T. This from an Infiniti blurb upon entering a website about got to use the service:

Driving is serious business. Only use Infiniti Connection™ and Infiniti Connection Plus services when safe to do so. Services require compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s control. AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will terminate 2G network availability. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, Infiniti Connection and Infiniti Connection Plus services will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Infiniti cannot guarantee. Infiniti not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks). Certain vehicle services, including Google compatible services, provided by independent companies not within Infiniti’s control and are subject to change without notice or liability to Infiniti and its affiliates and agents. Subscription Agreement required to enroll. Initial 12 months, beginning on your date of purchase, included complimentary. Subsequently, your credit card (if on file) will be charged at the then current subscription rate and your service will continue for 1 year periods under the terms of your Subscription Agreement, or until 2G coverage is terminated on December 31, 2016 (if equipment upgrades or roaming charges are not available by that date). Standard text rates and/or data usage may apply. Terms and conditions of Subscription Agreement apply.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Has anyone heard from AT&T if they are actually disabling the 2G network, or are they simply not making it available to new customers? If customers (Infiniti and others) are willing to pay for completely depreciated equipment, it's strange AT&T would pass on the revenue stream.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They're basically dropping 2g to make more room or spectrum available for 3g and moreso 4g sevices as they claim they're "capacity constraints could affect the quality of existing voice and data services and our ability to launch new, advanced wireless broadband services, unless we are able to obtain more spectrum."

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally received word from Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding this matter. Here is there response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Infiniti and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

Infiniti Connection requires a compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network is not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s control. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, Infiniti Connection will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Infiniti cannot guarantee.

Infiniti strives to stay ahead of evolution in technology but that is sometimes a challenge given the nature of technology and changes made by third parties outside of Infiniti’s control. We are exploring alternative network solutions for Infiniti Connection service options, and although we don’t have anything to announce now, if and when we do we will advise customers.

Infiniti is not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued Infiniti Connection operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks).

Case # 16454126 has been created to document this concern. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-662-6200 (Option 7) with any questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Infiniti

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally received word from Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding this matter. Here is there response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Infiniti and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

Infiniti Connection requires a compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network is not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s control. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, Infiniti Connection will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Infiniti cannot guarantee.

Infiniti strives to stay ahead of evolution in technology but that is sometimes a challenge given the nature of technology and changes made by third parties outside of Infiniti’s control. We are exploring alternative network solutions for Infiniti Connection service options, and although we don’t have anything to announce now, if and when we do we will advise customers.

Infiniti is not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued Infiniti Connection operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks).

Case # 16454126 has been created to document this concern. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-662-6200 (Option 7) with any questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Infiniti
Has there been any update on this? Does anyone know if those with the CPO Elite Plan will get the equipment upgrades covered?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts